Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My 16-year old is looking at getting into action matches. Which 9mm would be better - a Glock or a S&W M&P? I have an FEG Hi-Power clone that he can start with.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had both. S&W M&P is clearly superior in terms of ergonomics. Reliability is likely about even.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ergonomics, let him have some input on which pistol best fits and best points. I've spent so many years shooting revolvers, 1911s, and Sigs, that everytime I pick up and point a Glock, it feels way odd with the barrel having a tendency to naturally point high. The M&P on the other hand, feels and points wonderfully. Flip side, I know several having tons of experience with the ergonomics of the Glock, and it fits them like a glove. You can shoot both of them straight thumbs, but for me, they have a different feel in the hand and a different ergonomic fit in how they naturally point.

Last edited by GaryVA; 06/16/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I should know that! blush I think I'll take him to the local range and rent one of each so he can try them out.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How big of a boy is he?

What type of competition will he be shooting, as that could make a difference too.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He should make the decision himself not you. after getting a feel of each pistol available . like the XD , Glock 17 , M&P , Sig , ect!!

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd also throw in the Ruger SR9. Great ergos.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Calif.Hunter,

Here's an idea you and your son may consider. If he likes the Hi Power consider a Charles Daly HP. A very good Browning clone out of the box. All it needs was the magazine trigger disconnect removed, if it isn't already done. They sell used online for $350-400. Best of luck shooting!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He's 16, 5 ft 10 and growing. Skinny but with long fingers - longer than mine and I'm 6 ft with average sized mitts. To start with, it would be informal time plus penalties "action" shooting - plate rack, pepper poppers (when fire conditions are okay for shooting metal) - other wise silhouette and a 3-gun stage. He already has his AR and a shotgun (1100 Tactical) to use. If he gets really into it, he may want to do more formal "steel challenge," etc type shoots.

I think letting him choose is the best route unless there are other considerations based upon match type..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Since your in California, and I'm assuming he will be limited to 10 round mags, I would really consider one of the Springfield Range Officers in 9mm.

But if he wants a Polymer Pistol for Compitition, I'd highly reccomend the Glock Longslide Competition Model, for �ber reliability!

Definately let him shoot several different models before you buy. See what fits his hand the best and points most naturally for him.

For me, nothing points better than a 1911. JMO, though. Good on you for getting him started in the Shooting Sports.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I missed the CA bit. I was gonna recommend against the less common pistols as you can't get mag extensions for them, but I guess that's a non-issue. If he's ever gonna get involved in USPSA, be sure that whatever he gets is on the approved list for Production Class as that's what he'd likely want to shoot in. http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php For Production you've gotta have a double action first trigger pull. Any of the common (M&P-Glock) 5" models would be a great choice.

A double stack 1911 puts you in USPSA Limited division, I'd skip that option.

A single stack 1911 could give you ten rounds, so that could be an option and you could shoot SS division in USPSA.

I'm not familiar with IDPA, so it might be worth checking out their rules too.

For 3Gun I'd recommend any of the plastic guns (Glock-M&P) in 9mm. Be careful with what mods you make, as they might put you in a more competitive class for pistol events.

----------

If he'll be starting with, and primarily shooting, outlaw type matches.....Buy whichever fits him best between a Glock and M&P and a pile of ammo.

Congrats on getting your son started. Mine aren't quite ready for the big leagues, but they were running airsoft stages in the backyard a few days ago. It's a great thing for them to get involved in.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He has a Kimber Classic II in .45 that he won (in my name, of course) at a FNRA dinner. He shoots it well, but slowly. I think he'd have more fun and have an easier start with a 9mm...he can move on to other options on his own if he gets into it. By the time he's out of high school or shortly thereafter, I hope to have us out of CA so the option of more than 10 rounds would still be a factor.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would take him to an indoor range and let him shoot a few pistols, no one I know of ever picked up a glock and said wow this thing feels so good. the difference is I can hit with a glock with the very first rounds out of the mag better than any pistol I have shot. honestly just about all the guns feel better in the hand than a glock does, but I don't shoot them as well. for example I don't shoot an XD very well at all for some reason.

lots of great guns out there I would have him try the M&P, glock, XD although I don't like them personally they are a heavier glock copy with a worse trigger, thats right I said it. another great gun is the walther PPQ, awesome trigger and the best feeling polymer pistol I have put in my hand. if you don't mind weight a CZ 75 is really tuff to beat, everyone needs a CZ 75

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He's mentioned the CZ-75. How is the trigger pull weight on those? They are a traditional SA/DA action aren't they? (I've never been fond of the change in trigger pull on those, like the Beretta/M-9.) I've also heard they have a long reach to the trigger, though they feel about as good as a Hi-Power.

We'll go the range and rent what they have available to see what he likes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being a 1911 fan, not necessarily a 9mm fan, that Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm, sounds like a fun pistol to have and use on targets.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having had both, go with Glock...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glock all the way

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Redhill
Glock all the way

yep

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You wont go wrong with either one, but I prefer the glock.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have both both are good choices
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.