Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
my pets get a bit of pet care from professional vets that attended and graduated from accredited veterinarian colleges. we do our best.

but, growing up, down on the farm, a vet was a resource of last resort.

so, in today's post-modern era, where pets are treated like children, and that's good, what are the poor to do?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

the simple question is, at what point does one take a pet (dog, cat, bird, cow, goat, horse, fish, etc.) to the vet? what's the story guys?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Get a cat?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
in our case if there is a deep wound, broken bone, pain of unknown origin in abdomen, anything involving eyes, we take our girls to the vet. If it is costly I will sell a gun to pay.

when a person takes on the responsibility of an animal it is just that, a responsibility. plus I like animals better than most people anyway. I still greave for lost pet/companion more than lost family members. just me.
cats get the same care but I don't like for them as much.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/17/14.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eyeball
Get a cat?

I like cats. the neighborhood neotropical migratory songbirds don't like them all that much, especially the free-range semi-feral ones.

Originally Posted by deerstalker
in our case if there is a deep wound, broken bone, pain of unknown origin in abdomen, anything involving eyes, we take our girls to the vet. If it is costly I will sell a gun to pay.

when a person takes on the responsibility of an animal it is just that, a responsibility. plus I like animals better than most people anyway. I still greave for lost pet/companion more than lost family members. just me.

yeah, that's us too. the vets and related animal hospitals are an important part of our neighborhood eco-system, much like the Walmart, and the gasoline stations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a 22 and a shovel.
Then another dog.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
where's your heart man?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy lotsa Iodine and a stapler.
And dewormer.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
growing up on a farm in rural America, using a vet was a big deal back in the day.

nowadays, seems like they're pretty much standard issue, and it is good that they are available.

I'm old school when it comes to pets, but I recognize a ton of folks not only love their pets, but have dispensable income to expend on their health.

but, not everyone who loves pets are so blessed as to consumptive purchasing power. how does one address such discrepancies?

I'm thinking a special Obama care for pets is and should be in order?

tell me where I'm wrong, if you will. I mean, pets have a right to "relatively:" expensive medical care, right?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
here again. if you can't care for them don't have them.
also there is some fairly cheap pet insurance.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I can't say how many times someone has told me,"If he (his dog) is not better tomorrow I'm going to take him to the vet." My response,"I don't think I'd wait." Result, invariably, was a dead dog the next day.

Some people....

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The poor don't need a pet. Pets are a PIA.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's a little narrow minded.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
We get the rabies, quick checkup, advice on any lumps, and the city license. Anything else, we dont spend the money for a poor outcome. We do have a laid back vet who doesn't push senseless treatments. We had a traveling vet for the last one that got too far along, easier at home, but not cheaper. My old boss put one down in the garage with a .22, his wife raised holy heck, and he gave the gun to me. I don't think I could pull it off. I know people who spend hundreds or thousands and still have a pet succumb to whatever in short order. There are a couple street bums around work with dogs. If you can acome up with a license and food, that is all you need

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Maybe on the pets are a PIA but not on the poor. If they have money for a pet they have money to support themselves and do not need taxpayer assistance.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kennyd
We get the rabies, quick checkup, advice on any lumps, and the city license. Anything else, we dont spend the money for a poor outcome. We do have a laid back vet who doesn't push senseless treatments. We had a traveling vet for the last one that got too far along, easier at home, but not cheaper. My old boss put one down in the garage with a .22, his wife raised holy heck, and he gave the gun to me. I don't think I could pull it off. I know people who spend hundreds or thousands and still have a pet succumb to whatever in short order. There are a couple street bums around work with dogs. If you can acome up with a license and food, that is all you need

your points are well-made. we have a Taz Mahal type animal control facility in our county, and I suppose we should be proud, since we are a somewhat prosperous county (there are better zipcodes in the State). a kill shelter that can adopt out half of the animals is a success?

food and license, what could be better?

lot's of folks love pitbulls, as an example, but other animals as well. so, just at what point should an animal be seen by a vet? how much will it cost, and who pays, pray tell?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gus

your points are well-made. we have a Taz Mahal type animal control facility in our county, and I suppose we should be proud, since we are a somewhat prosperous county (there are better zipcodes in the State). a kill shelter that can adopt out half of the animals is a success?

lot's of folks love pitbulls, as an example, but other animals as well. so, just at what point should an animal be seen by a vet? how much will it cost, and who pays, pray tell?

Who pays? The people who own the damn pet. Pets are just like kids, if you can't afford them don't have them.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by eyeball
Get a cat?

I like cats. the neighborhood neotropical migratory songbirds don't like them all that much, especially the free-range semi-feral ones.

Originally Posted by deerstalker

yeah, that's us too. the vets and related animal hospitals are an important part of our neighborhood eco-system, much like the Walmart, and the gasoline stations.

Mexicans like cats too. They are great- in tamales.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Gus

Who pays? The people who own the damn pet. Pets are just like kids, if you can't afford them don't have them.

well,based upon statistics, we do seem to have a bit of a pitbull problem in our county, as well as surrounding counties. but, what to do? no one is able to pass a non pitbull law, ya know?

so, the rendering plants have a role to play, ya know? but, we're speaking of vet care here on this thread.

if a person has a pet, the person is poor, and the vet requires payment for services rendered to a needy pet, then what do we do?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Maybe on the pets are a PIA but not on the poor. If they have money for a pet they have money to support themselves and do not need taxpayer assistance.

Unlike children, pets can be therapeutic. Cheaper for taxpayers than the community mental health center.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Unlike children, pets can be therapeutic. Cheaper for taxpayers than the community mental health center.

I'm tired of supporting the deadbeats. The hell with them and their therapeutic pets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.