Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Jim Shockey is a member, his daughter, Eva is hotter than Tiffany, so SCI is O.K. with me...

He was there.......

We talked to him. He seemed like a pretty cool dude for someone who was getting his ass kissed for 5 days.

I like him.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While aware of the Salmon, Idaho coyote hunt issues, I am totally GUILTY of not supporting them financially, largely due to my own professional and personal obligations/ life/ disorganization. I have discussed this with other groups. The Idaho SCI chapters needed to step up. I wanted to, but did not feel as though it was my charge to lead. I don't know if National was aware of it, but would assume so. I am not proud of that, as I support the folks in this area, and they support me.

This is one example of where I failed, but there are many more examples where SCI has succeeded in reinstating hunting seasons, reversing politically driven import bans and rules, etc...

Who else is fighting for hunter's rights? If not me, if not US as hunters, then WHO?

As a non-joiner type, I realized that I needed to get outside of my comfort zone to make a difference. I have, have you?

BTW, Eva was at our banquet 2 years ago, and we had a blast! Great person, very fun and down to earth!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did she ask about me?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
DSC is a runaway winner compared to SCI. Jim and Eva were there too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think some have an inaccurrate view of what SCI is. It is a group for hunters and outfitters to get together. They really aren't designed to be a PAC. If they dabble in it, it's a bonus. The idea that they are going to ride to the rescue of every hunter in troubl and throw money and lawyers to save them is naive. Wrong group. Call Conservation Force and get out your checkbook, John. J. Jackson

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hatari,

I think SCI's mission has changed somewhat and definitely more than dabble in politics. They actually have SCI PAC.

http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/advocacy/pac

While they cannot address every issue they have people full time in DC. That group is SCI DC

http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/advocacy

Personally I believe there is a need for a group to defend our hunting and fishing rights. SCI is probably in the best position to assume that role.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know about SCI PAC, but also want people to understand they have a very limited scope, AND budget.

They are not the = to the Teamsters for hunters.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have only met 2 SCI members.... they were both self absorbed jerks... so much so that I have less than zero interest in meeting much less hanging out with any others.

Please don't feed the trolls!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by test1328
At my own peril, I'll stick my foot in. I'm not a rich guy by any means and I don't care at all about measuring trophies or bragging to everyone in ear shot about what I've shot or hunted. Granted, the upper echelons of SCI are full of these types of people and for the most part, I've no desire to hang out with them. However, SCI does serve a very real purpose and I am a member because of that. The big reason I'm a member is that they fight, both in the US and internationally, for hunters rights. SCI has been instrumental in fighting the listing of the Polar Bear on the Endangered Species list and is currently fighting the ban on imported ivory from most countries in Africa. Both of these decisions were made to appease the anti-hunting crowd and SCI is the only organization that I'm aware of that has the juice to fight this and do any good. SCI has also been instrumental in forging relationships with the various professional hunting organizations and wildlife agencies in Africa to help maintain conservation programs and hunting access in most every country in Africa that allows hunting. Their local chapters do a lot of charity work around their communities and often sponsor hunts and other events for youth to get them involved and excited about hunting. Additionally, they support the Conservation Force, which is run by John J. Jackson, III, who is a lawyer that represents hunters pro bono in all kinds of different cases where it is clear the that some government agency is taking upon themselves to make new rules and purposely penalize hunters. A recent example is when the USFWS has confiscated hundreds of legally hunted animal trophies coming back from Africa. Conservation Force also helps head off anti-hunting rules that would go into place without their vigilance. SCI is by no means the only sponsor of Conservation Force, but the deep pockets of SCI and its supporters allow this work to continue. These are some of the reasons that I support SCI. Running them down because some of their members are fixated on scores, record books, and Gold Medals is like running down the NRA because you know some jackass from your hometown that is a member of the NRA.

Exactly how I feel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SCI is kinda like a hunter special olympics. They do have the cash though, and do good things with it. Whatever it takes to keep the cash rolling to preserve our sport.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Too many tape measure packing dick-heads in SCI for my taste. I shan't be joining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You forgot the fence and mentioning that to go "into the book" you have to pay.
Course, not all of them are like that, but it is pretty much a old, rich, do you want me to roll the window down, before I shoot?, group.
I'm glad I went.
Vegas has some good skin shows........

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry that you will miss the opportunity to meet and friends and build relationships with others that shoot and hunt. Your sample of 2 is hardly all encompassing of an organization of 50,000.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I have only met 2 SCI members.... they were both self absorbed jerks... so much so that I have less than zero interest in meeting much less hanging out with any others.

That can be said about any organization. If you check out the membership of The Campfire, you would certainly find more than 2 that weren't worth knowing, but we still keep posting...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
SCI is neither as good as it ought to be nor as bad as some make it sound. There are a bunch of jerks, but there are some really good guys too. Some of the really good guys happen to be filthy rich, but you'd never know it, that's why they are some of the good guys.

SCI does some good because Congressmen are impressed by money.

Many local chapters sponsor good local programs. One of the strengths of SCI used to be the local autonomy. I'm not sure how that's going, but at least there is some.

I used to put stuff in the book because I was friends with Mac and trying to help him build the club. It's been a while since I did that.

DSC wasn't so much a spin-off as a mini-insurrection.

While there is a lot of heavy promotion (and self promotion) at the conventions, there also people who have been there before you and will tell you the real deal. You just have to figure out who they are. Figuring out who they aren't is easy.

Nowhere else will you find as many people with such substantial international hunting experience in one place.

It is what you make of it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woodsie
Originally Posted by test1328
At my own peril, I'll stick my foot in. I'm not a rich guy by any means and I don't care at all about measuring trophies or bragging to everyone in ear shot about what I've shot or hunted. Granted, the upper echelons of SCI are full of these types of people and for the most part, I've no desire to hang out with them. However, SCI does serve a very real purpose and I am a member because of that. The big reason I'm a member is that they fight, both in the US and internationally, for hunters rights. SCI has been instrumental in fighting the listing of the Polar Bear on the Endangered Species list and is currently fighting the ban on imported ivory from most countries in Africa. Both of these decisions were made to appease the anti-hunting crowd and SCI is the only organization that I'm aware of that has the juice to fight this and do any good. SCI has also been instrumental in forging relationships with the various professional hunting organizations and wildlife agencies in Africa to help maintain conservation programs and hunting access in most every country in Africa that allows hunting. Their local chapters do a lot of charity work around their communities and often sponsor hunts and other events for youth to get them involved and excited about hunting. Additionally, they support the Conservation Force, which is run by John J. Jackson, III, who is a lawyer that represents hunters pro bono in all kinds of different cases where it is clear the that some government agency is taking upon themselves to make new rules and purposely penalize hunters. A recent example is when the USFWS has confiscated hundreds of legally hunted animal trophies coming back from Africa. Conservation Force also helps head off anti-hunting rules that would go into place without their vigilance. SCI is by no means the only sponsor of Conservation Force, but the deep pockets of SCI and its supporters allow this work to continue. These are some of the reasons that I support SCI. Running them down because some of their members are fixated on scores, record books, and Gold Medals is like running down the NRA because you know some jackass from your hometown that is a member of the NRA.

Exactly how I feel

Concur. I am not a member of SCI but am a life member of DSC.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge,
Sounded like a lot of the vendors had been at Dallas the week before? Maybe?
Is that show massive also?

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm not Jorge, obviously, but Dallas is big (and maybe more fun these days) but SCI is frikkin' gigantic.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not a member currently but was in Alaska. They had a pretty good event. They had some high priced hunts but they also had some very affordable ones. I think you can get as involved as you want or just participate. There was a big push to stop bear hunting in Alaska and they dropped the biggest amount of money to fight it than any group did. I've never been to Africa but became convinced that it was affordable watching what they did. I'm going next month. I using a outfitter than donated to the event I was the Chairman of (DU) also a very large event. Never would have thought I would be able to go, But I can. And most folks can if they want to. It's my experience that the chapters are fairly independent and have their own priorities. It's tough for some chapters to just jump on something at the drop of a hat, the money may not be there because it's already committed. I'm disappointed they didn't help with the coyote hunt, frankly I have no idea if they even have a chapter here in Idaho. I've looked around and haven't found one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They do in the Treasure Valley.
They e-mail me a lot.
None in North Idaho.
Spokane does, though.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.