Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What do you guys know about this place. Thinking of taking a fishing charter out of there next summer for Salmon. What is the place like? The scenery is stunning. Is it white trash central or does it have a pretty good middle class? Just curious. Homes sure look expensive.

Last edited by RobJordan; 06/20/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Soldotna stunning? Maybe along the Kenai

Seward or Homer more so

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm totally ignorant of the place. I've seen photos from a fishing concession out of Soldotna and it looked beautiful. I just assumed the photos were from around Soldotna. I've never been there so I am just looking for a little info on the place.

Thanks

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Asking if it's white trash without ever being there.... go [bleep] yourself

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DeskJockey
Asking if it's white trash without ever being there.... go [bleep] yourself

Sorry. Did not mean to offend. I'm a bit jaundiced. I've seen alot of rural places which have meth problems and that brings out a certain kind of people. For all I know, Soldotna is nothing like that. Just trying to find out.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
PM sent.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rob, listen to kroo. Seward is one of the most beautiful places. Take a charter out of there in early august about derby time and catch silvers rock fish and ling cod and halibut until your arms fall off. I wouldn't do a salmon charter out of soldotna. The kings are shut down most years, the reds are caught in dip nets or hoards of people and the scenery is okay. I've lived here most of my life and I will be fishing out of Seward in August. I was in homer last weekend and it was beautiful but not like Seward and not nearly as good fishing.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thank you. Would it be best to fly in or can a guy take the Alaskan highway and get there?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Seward is on the road system. You can drive there from CA.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too choose Seward....and pony up for the derby.[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're going to Alaska fly into Anchorage, rent a car, and visit Seward, Soldotna, and Homer. They're all within an easy day's drive and the scenery along the way is spectacular.

Soldotna is not a white trash meth head town. I'd consider it a rural town with a wide mix of people and if you're there during the peak of salmon fishing it's a tourist town. Scenic? Not so much except along the river. The area, generally speaking, is flat with some rolling hills and lots of trees so there's not much in the way of views.

As far as homes go there's everything from tyvex covered cabins to log home estates. The town itself is relatively small but the population and homes are spread out over a wide rural area.

I left Alaska six years ago so take this with a grain of salt. The Kenai can be awesome for King fishing but timing is critical. There's only a few weeks in July where the bite is on big time and it can vary from day to day. Soldotna is roughly 20 miles from the Cook Inlet and the Kings are constantly moving through the river. There is no resident population (per say) of Kings that stay in the lower Kenai for any length of time. You have to be there at the right time to catch one as they're moving through and the number of Kings entering the river per day can go from low hundreds to two or three thousand. It's not like the ocean where you can absolutely positively find fish in the same spots on any given day.

The upside to fishing for Kings in the Kenai is you stand a chance to catch the biggest King you'll ever catch. The downside is there's no guarantee that you'll even catch a fish. I fished there for years and didn't get skunked, as far putting a king in the boat, but there's no way I'd ever tell someone you will catch a King today. When the run was peaking I could almost guarantee you'd get a bite but hooking, playing, and landing a 50 lb plus King isn't a given. With five people, including myself, on the boat it was a rare day when everyone boated a fish although it did happen on occasion. The best way to put it is the Kenai is a quality versus quantity fishery when it comes to Kings ... generally speaking.

Fishing the lower Kenai is not a wilderness experience. There's hundreds and hundreds of boats on the river when the fishing is hot.

Like I said it's been six years since I fished there and from what little I've heard the King fishing has gone way downhill.

Go to Seward or Homer and you will catch fish.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
+1 to what Fishhead said. Homer, Seward and Soldotna each have their own individual charms. Visit them all and you will enjoy it, I promise you. Salmon fished there on the Kenai, true "combat" fishing. Not everyones cup of tea, but we had fun. Don't miss halibut fishing out of Homer, that was a blast! I would recommend Captain Greg or Silver Fox Charters. Both treated us well and we caught some very nice fish.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys. Excellent info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some excellent restaurants in Homer...sorta a hippish/granola feel to the town.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must eats ...

Duncan's in Homer for breakfast or lunch.

Ray's in Seward for a fine dinner.

(they used be veddy good and my favs)

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would go up in July for sure and Soldotna is a nice town. The only salmon fishing you will be doing down there is for reds. You can out os Seward and fish for silvers as well. Another spot these boys did not mention is Valdez they have one hell of a silver run and you can catch pinks until you turn blue in the face. The only problem with seward you are on a boat for 3 plus hours to get to the fishing grounds for halibut and it sucks! I prefer to go out of the ninilchik for Halibut no rock fish down their. Homer isn't to bad. You can alo go down to the resurrection river in Seward and snag for the reds when they are in. While your up thier if you get up their early enough in July you hit the Klutina and catch copper river reds.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
I would go up in July for sure and Soldotna is a nice town. The only salmon fishing you will be doing down there is for reds. You can out os Seward and fish for silvers as well. Another spot these boys did not mention is Valdez they have one hell of a silver run and you can catch pinks until you turn blue in the face. The only problem with seward you are on a boat for 3 plus hours to get to the fishing grounds for halibut and it sucks! I prefer to go out of the ninilchik for Halibut no rock fish down their. Homer isn't to bad. You can alo go down to the resurrection river in Seward and snag for the reds when they are in. While your up thier if you get up their early enough in July you hit the Klutina and catch copper river reds.

We Hammered the buts and cod MUCH closer than 3 hrs out of Seward. Pro fish n sea....1st class outfit.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by 79S

We Hammered the buts and cod MUCH closer than 3 hrs out of Seward. Pro fish n sea....1st class outfit.

Well I'm happy for you I been out of seward twice and after fishing the ninilchik for Halibut never again will I set foot on a boat in seward... Homer is pretty good cause you can fish for a Salmon, rockfish and halibut. I forget the name of the charter out of homer we went with but 1st class operation and great fishing.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget the restrictions on halibut fishing with a charter. If they aren't willing to do rockfish, lings and salmon it wouldn't be worth it.

I have heard nothing but good things about pro fish n sea charters

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by okok
Some excellent restaurants in Homer...sorta a hippish/granola feel to the town.

Hence the term "Homeroids". smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.