Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had not planned to shoot all your big elk. My plan was to shoot one nice looking buck and be done with it. I do not have a lot of money, I just use the money I have available on hunting where I want. The real treath to your elk is recident hunters who shoot to many animals and poachers. A guy who stays for ten days without any experience with elk, has no chance of taking out all your big elk. He will have more than enough finding a decent looking bull. I seriously don`t think you should worry about foregin hunters, and go to your therapy session instead.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money you want to spend I would try to draw in New Mexico and hire a well respected guide. There are some great wilderness hunts just to the north of Ruidoso near the Reservation. Good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fredrick, ..relax, bizymocha is just kidding, he's imitating a BC resident who posts here like that quite often, Kutenay.

Good luck on your elk hunt.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Frederick,

This doesn't answer your original question about WHERE to elk hunt, but if you are planning on hunting with an outfitter, I recommend reading Ask the Elk Guides.

The author interviewed a bunch of experienced elk guides and asked them how they would shop for an outfitter, what to expect, etc. The book is all their answers and advice.

Nerf
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fredrick,

You may have already seen some information like this based on you comments about the post-9/11 hunting situation for non-U.S. residents, but I thought of you and this thread when I saw some related information in the Arizona state hunting regulations. The Arizona regulations say that a nonimmigrant alien (e.g., you) who wants to bring guns and/or ammo to hunt in the U.S. will need a U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) import permit AND valid hunting license in possession at the time of entry/import into the U.S. You can check the ATF website for more information: www.atf.treas.gov.

Just wanted to pass along what I saw a few minutes ago. Hope you can find the hunt of your dreams and have a great time here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fredrick,

I think this might be the webpage about bringing a firearm to the U.S. that you need on the ATF website, but please check for yourself because I am definitely not an expert on the matter.

http://www.atf.treas.gov./firearms/022002form6updates.htm

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Frederick, look no further than the Costilla Ranch in Questa NM. 150,000 acres bordering Forbes Trinchera to the north, Vielle Vedal (Uraca wildlife area) to the south, and the Vermejo Park to the east. Fully guided, around $5000.00.
Ask for Val DeHerrera.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Has Costilla ranch a web site?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

there are about 4 main guides on the Costilla, this guy can tell you how to get a hold of Val DeHerrera. Pretty country, with a shot at a 350 bull. 1-800-Rio-Park.

Last edited by watch4bear; 06/25/06.

MOLON LABE

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
"All hunting has it price. A general rule is that the bigger animal you want, the higher the cost is. Since I am not a millionare, I will have to settle for something more normal in size. I was thinking up to around $ 6000. If it cost more than that, I would rather spend my money on a Alaska bull moose."

I paid about $9,000 for my elk hunt in Utah three years ago, booked through Cabela's. Of six hunters staying at the ranch that week, all got 6X6 bulls except for one 5X6.

If you have $6,000 to spend, I would forget elk and go to the South African bushveld. I recently hunted there for seven days, spent about that much, and came away with eight animals, three of which would probably make the record book if I applied. That's a whole lot more fun than shooting one elk. Or a moose, for that matter.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
"All hunting has it price. A general rule is that the bigger animal you want, the higher the cost is. Since I am not a millionare, I will have to settle for something more normal in size. I was thinking up to around $ 6000. If it cost more than that, I would rather spend my money on a Alaska bull moose."

I paid about $9,000 for my elk hunt in Utah three years ago, booked through Cabela's. Of six hunters staying at the ranch that week, all got 6X6 bulls except for one 5X6.

If you have $6,000 to spend, I would forget elk and go to the South African bushveld. I recently hunted there for seven days, spent about that much, and came away with eight animals, three of which would probably make the record book if I applied. That's a whole lot more fun than shooting one elk. Or a moose, for that matter.

Besides, in South Africa they wash your clothes once a day and even iron your underwear. None of this bouncing your butt around on a smelly old horse.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They did'nt bathe their horses?

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Depends on ones wants and needs. I go on vacation to get away from it all, not to join a health spa. But I don't fault those that do enjoy it all handed to them. I just prefer my tipi and the woods and a freeze dry meal in the wilderness over a vehicle and a 5-7 course meal and service every nite.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have been to South Africa once, and I am going for Zambia or Botswana next summer. So when I am going for elk, I want to try something different. I don`t mind spending some dollars on just one animal, as long as it is a fair hunt and a good trophy. And as rost says, I prefer to hunt wilderness and live under simple conditions over a luxus lodge in Africa. It makes you feels more like a true hunt, and you are there on the natures terms.

Indy,If you went trough an agent you must expect to be charged about 20% extra. If you remove the fee you paid to Cabela, you are beggining to get close to the amount of money I normally spend on a hunt.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Booking agents generally work for much less generally 10% & the fee comes out of the outfitters price. Yes, I know you can often rebook as a group & obtain the discount. I buy many of my hunts at SCI auctions & save a lot of money & seem to avoid many of the problems discussed. One other option is to hunt elk in Canada. I punchased a hunt normally selling for $5000 for $2200(no licence fee required). Its a large ranch & high fenced but well recommended. I'm long in the tooth with some health problems so my mountain hunting days are behind me. Getting into Canada may be a lot easier. If interested send me a PM. I plan to return to Europe in 08. Love the hunting & the culture. Good hunting.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.