Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a friend trying to sell me a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan 454.
I can't find any info on it. It has the 2.5in barrel the dark gray finish & has the Ruger integrated scope mounts.
Does anyone know anything about this model? What is a value for good condition with factory box & paperwork?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds like a regular SRH that someone cut down. I've probably worked on 100 SRHs in all lengths and I've never seen either A. An Alaskan with scope mounts, or B. A target Gray finish Alaskan.

Not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen or heard of one from the factory, though I have made one or two out of regular 7.5" or 9" SRHs.

Probably no help but my 2 pennies.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sounds like a regular SRH that someone cut down. I've probably worked on 100 SRHs in all lengths and I've never seen either A. An Alaskan with scope mounts, or B. A target Gray finish Alaskan.

Not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen or heard of one from the factory, .....
I'd say you're 99% correct..

I, too, think it's a standard SRH cut down.. Therefore, even with box, papers, lock etc., it's going to be devalued with a cut-down barrel.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The ones people cut down was where Ruger got the idea for the Alaskan

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I agree, sounds like a cut down. I do disagree with folks that say it's lost value. If people want an Alaskan that's what they want. The only thing that effects the value in a negative way is a poor job. If it's well done and that's what you are looking for, I see no down side on the Scope mounts.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I agree, sounds like a cut down. I do disagree with folks that say it's lost value. If people want an Alaskan that's what they want. The only thing that effects the value in a negative way is a poor job. If it's well done and that's what you are looking for, I see no down side on the Scope mounts.

You are spot on. Jack Huntington made the very first Alaskan ever built, except he called it a Street Hawk. It wasn't long before Ruger started producing them and of course they called them "Alaskan"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
What is the five digit sku number on the box?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I'm going to look at it again tomorrow. I will look more closely & get the info off the box.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picture off the net of a DIY Alaskan

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Borrowed this pic from the net as well ..... I think this work looks pretty clean.

[Linked Image]

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least they installed a front sight on it laugh

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Curious here, but I wonder what kind of scope will be able to withstand that kind of recoil on such a short barrel.. Bad enough with the 7.5" standard SRH in .454

Originally Posted by 41magfan

[Linked Image]

Can you imagine the look of the face of some criminal shlub who tries to rob ya with some nickle-plated 9mm and YOU drag out that blockbuster and point that rather large hole at the perp's schnozolla?

one word would describe it - PRICELESS...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No Alaskan ever came down the production line with the scope mounts machined or the target gray finish.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Redneck
Curious here, but I wonder what kind of scope will be able to withstand that kind of recoil on such a short barrel.. Bad enough with the 7.5" standard SRH in .454

Originally Posted by 41magfan

[Linked Image]

Can you imagine the look of the face of some criminal shlub who tries to rob ya with some nickle-plated 9mm and YOU drag out that blockbuster and point that rather large hole at the perp's schnozolla?

The recoil is worse IMHO on the 7 1/2" model. The 300 grain jacketed factory load in the 7 1/2" barreled version is 1650 fps plus and in the Alaskan about 1400 fps.

People always seems to assume incorrectly the short barreled revolvers recoil more and this is not always the case.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And if you miss him, the fireball will make him wish you'd hit him. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

And if yer close enough the muzzle flash will set his hair on fire... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Looked at it again today....it is a cut down longer barrel. Real nice job,but not factory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

And if yer close enough the muzzle flash will set his hair on fire... laugh laugh

Between the blast and the flash, you'd leave him looking like this.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LMAO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever you think you'd be willing to pay for a used Alaskan, I would lower that amount for this particular chopped down revoler, if you purchase it at all. It will have zero collector value, no matter who did the work, and its value will be diminished as a result of being chopped down. Even the person who had it chopped down, no longer wanted or wants it.

Take it only if it shoots superbly, you can get it at a bargain price, and you intend to keep it for the long haul. Otherwise, you'll be sorry down the road.

Last edited by GaryVA; 06/25/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 3,499 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,402
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.