Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Realizing that 45 ACP revolvers have been around a hundred years�

Wonder how many folks shoot 45 ACP in single-action or double-action revolvers because they either have a ready supply of 45 ACP ammo or because they have a progressive reloading press set up for 45 ACP and would rather not be switching calibers frequently ?

And not because the 45 ACP is their preferred cartridge in revolvers ?

I have Rugers with 45 ACP cylinders and S&W 45 ACP revolvers but have never really shot them much because I shot traditional revolver cartridges like the 44 Special or 45 Colt.

But when you can pump out thousands of rounds on a Dillon 1050 set up for 45 ACP, it is tempting not to switch over the reloading machine.

Wonder how many Ruger auxiliary 45 ACP cylinders have either never been used at all or used very, very little ?

Wonder if most 45 ACP S&W revolvers are used primarily because of the fast revolver reloads allowed with their moon clips in IPSC competition ?

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shoot them in a 25-2 because when the bullets fit snug, they are really accurate guns with minimal recoil along the lines of the 44 Special. Jacketed ammo, not so much.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 25-2 thrives on the 250 gr Lyman #452664 in AR brass. It is all it ever sees.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I've ever shot in the 45ACP Smith is cast bullets and Auto Rim brass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Smith 25-2 with 45 acp in full moon clips makes for a really fast reload.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That I do not need the way I use my Smith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 45 ACP in my S&W 1917 because that's what it's chambered in. Moon clips are kind of handy and you can fit 2 of them loaded in one speedloader pouch.

The 45 ACP makes an excellent revolver round.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a stainless Ruger Bisley convertible that was a hoot to shoot with the ACP cylinder. One of the most enjoyable handguns to shoot. Scratch that, one of the most enjoyable FIREARMS I've ever shot or owned.

And, I heard/read of the same exact thing from numerous other sources. Some claimed it was their most accurate 45 ACP and put their 1911 pistols to shame. I never smiled so much shooting a handgun.

I have to say, that extra cylinder was a pleasant surprise. And I bought the Bisley to fire heavy Colt loads.

Should have kept that one...

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never had a Ruger convertible but I'd wager its commonly tight throats (for almost all 45 Colt loads) would eat jacketed or ball ACP better than all except recent Smiths. Maybe even those too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I go with Steely. Always have used Auto Rim brass. Plenty available, don't need to mess with half moon or moon clips and works just fine. Starline has plenty of it for sale.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hammer, since my son and I load a lot of .45 ACP for our 1911's, we also use it very happily in his .45 Ruger Blackhawk and in my S&W revolver. Good guns. Accurate. It's a fine cartridge for them.

Nice to load mostly just that one handgun cartridge too.

He does load some heavy duty .45 Colt ammo for his Blackhawk, but no more than a box or two a year of that stuff. Mostly we just load & shoot the good ol' .45 ACP in our guns, semi auto or revolver.

Guy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have an Old Model Ruger 45 Colt/ACP that never sees ACP. The throats on my ACP cylinder are correct, the Colt cylinder had the classic tight throats. Same with my Buckeye 38 WCF/10mm, while the throats of both cylinders are spot on, it only sees 38 WCF.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've changed to AutoRim for my 1917. Only need to change a few pins on the Dillon.

Haven't decided on one yet
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use the ACP in a Blackhawk convertible and a Taurus Tracker. Both had tight throats so I bought the Manson reamer kit and solved that. I also use 45 Cowboy brass (ACP length with a Colt head draw) . Fits the Ruger and no moon clips needed in the Taurus. Liked it so much that I had a Marlin 1894 45 Colt converted to ACP. Great fun!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 45acp S&W 325PD that is no longer made, It's the one with the Titanium cylinder,I think the new ones have a Stainless cylinder. It is the best shooting revolver I have ever had out of the box. About half the time I don't even bother with the clips though it makes removing the empties slower. It is the most pleasant gun I have ever had to carry. Literally 'light as a feather'. The fluorescent red front and the shallow 'VEE' rear is the perfect speed sight. Accuracy is Impeccable.I have not had to touch a single feature of the gun. Recoil with hardball is NOT unpleasant. I have the same gun in 10mm a 310NG in steel. Front sight is a Tritium and rear is a performance shop rear. It absolutely gets your attention when you pull the trigger with factory ammo. Really NOT pleasant to shoot.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've competed in IPDA/IPSC in revolver. The reason I use a 625 is because you can load/unload via a moon clip and it's SUPER fast compared to a .38/.357 (even with the safariland spring loaded speed loaders). Fatter more round bullets feed better and the moon clips force perfect ejection, plus you can bevel the cylinder a little for more of a "feed ramp" effect.

When you reload for competition the rounds are "powder puff" and in a 5" N frame they are very easy to shoot fast.

It's fun and normally a less congested group then the production or single stack folks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I had a stainless Ruger Bisley convertible that was a hoot to shoot with the ACP cylinder. One of the most enjoyable handguns to shoot. Scratch that, one of the most enjoyable FIREARMS I've ever shot or owned.

And, I heard/read of the same exact thing from numerous other sources. Some claimed it was their most accurate 45 ACP and put their 1911 pistols to shame. I never smiled so much shooting a handgun.

I have to say, that extra cylinder was a pleasant surprise. And I bought the Bisley to fire heavy Colt loads.

Should have kept that one...

[Linked Image]

It's a great combination, mine's not going anywhere!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C-dog,

I had two Smiths in 45acp... a scandium 325PD, and a 625JM. The Ruger outshot both handily but I mostly used ACP brass.

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a new Ruger stainless flat top convertible, and I mostly shoot .45 ACP in it just because I haven't gotten my reloading stuff out of storage yet since we've moved. I have a lot of ACP ammo on hand and if I have to buy any, it's cheaper than .45 Colt. Once I start reloading again, I'll probably shoot more .45 Colt ammo.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my 625, and miss the Model 25 that was stolen from me.

Mine was re-chambered so it will take the 460 Rowland, of course it also uses 45 GAP, and 45 ARas well.

It shoots very well and ammo is available in bulk, fits my Officers Model, and when I reload the brass with 255 grain semi-wadcutters it is scary accurate.

I have seen a birdshead grip Ruger SA in 45 ACP and I plan to own one of those too.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 6 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.