Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So this is my usual taste in handguns--Cool. Classic.
[Linked Image]

This past weekend, I was standing at the gun counter in Cabela's with enough points on my club card to get any number of guns for free. I was scoping out the usual suspects--1911's, stainless revolvers, etc., when my eyes drifted over a Glock 23. My first thought (and rightly so) was, "Man those things are ugly!" But then I remembered that you can buy a 9mm barrel for about $100 and *voila* you suddenly have both a .40 S&W and 9mm. I considered this for a moment and then noticed the sales guy was standing in front of me, talking about the features of glock pistols. I thought "Why is he doing that?" Then I looked down and I WAS HOLDING THE GLOCK! How did THAT get there?!

I was not only holding it, I was pointing it and checking the feel in my hand--and kind of liked it! It could definitely use some night sights though. I considered that I already have a bunch of Glock magazines--both .40's and 9mm's that I've accumulated through various deals and use as trade fodder. Then, my lips said, "I'll take it." Whoa, where did THAT come from?! It was like somebody else was in control of my body and I was just trapped, watching, a helpless spectator. Next my feet started walking and took the rest of me down to the end of the counter, where my hand picked up a pen and started filling out forms.

Now, 2 days later, I am sitting in my chair, mostly in control of my essential faculties again, dry-firing my new plastic chunk. The new barrel is already en route. But the real question is: What night sights to get? I kind of like these: http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Pistol-...sr=8-1&keywords=trijicon+glock+sight

Any thoughts or other suggestions? I'm feeling like a foreigner as I walk through Glockland!

[Linked Image]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wade, welcome to the dark side, sir! grin

I like the Trijicon HD night sights.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Trijicon HD night sights as well. Good visibility/aquisition and they stay bright for years!

Eric

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EricM
I like the Trijicon HD night sights as well. Good visibility/aquisition and they stay bright for years!

Eric

Yep. Another vote for Trijicon. Now as for the Glock, they are still butt UGLY, but I own one in every caliber, except for the new .380. And all of mine have never failed to go bang when I pull the trigger. They are Definately the Enigizer Bunny of handguns. They just keep Going & Going, & Going wink
But my favorite Glock will always be my Glock 20 in 10mm.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/24/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Prayers sent. Ha!

Seek counseling maybe?

Not really, Enjoy the new piece.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wade, I've owned a 3rd Gen Glock 23 for several years now - it's not pretty, but it is functional and accurate (never a misfeed yet). I think you will enjoy owning one. Mine is plain stock, no extras, so I have no advice on the extras.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, we all have a moment of weakness at one point or another and do something foolish..

You'll be ok in a few weeks.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I asked myself the same thing about the 1911 I just got. Yesterday I striped it without a bushing wrench (, I realized I need to buy one soon.)

I am going to the range this morning, we shall see.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They are just guns. Nothing more.

But, I am addicted.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was in a gun shop the other day and something caught my eye. It was a Glock. I hate Glocks. But, this one caught my eye. It was the grip. The grip has changed or at least it had changed on this one. I don't know what model it was or generation or whatever people use to designate Glocks...but I swear to God it has a different grip angle. It almost looked like the old S&W Model 39 grip, rounded at the bottom. I could tell without even holding it, that it wouldn't feel like the Glocks I've come to despise. I might even like it. Na!

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Waders, I really know what you are going through. I myself am trying to get over the blasphemy of bringing a glock into the house of 1911. Bought a model 26 Gen 4 subcompact this weekend. Butt ugly but shoots well. Now I must figure out how and why I was so incredibly weak willed.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you drank the kool-aid! shocked

I can safely say I will never own one of them, not even for free.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Glock ~20 years ago, kept it a while, sent it down the road. Bought a G34 4th Gen a year ago, and remembered why I got rid of the first one. I'll make someone a deal on that one, too smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Careful! Never say never. Having said that, neither will I. Unless.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still not sure that I'm a convert. I think I like it, but I know I don't love it. Maybe that will change. Maybe not.

Over the years, I handled about every Glock model they make, and have shot quite a few. The G19/23 has always been my favorite frame size. I have a buddy who carries a G19 as his EDC. He carries two G17 magazines in addition to his fully loaded pistol. So he's walking around with an entire box of ammunition on his person. That's nearly three times what I carry--17 rounds for my 1911. I can't imagine needing more than 17 rounds; heck, I have difficulty imagining that I'd ever need my gun at all, but, who knows. I'll get an magazine pouch or two and see what the weight feels like.

I look forward to giving the Glock an honest chance. If nothing else, it will be an interesting experience!

(And thanks to those who responded about the night sights--I'll get my hands on some Trijicons! smile )

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's okay, you need to say it in public, the 1911 is 100year old technology. I have a friend that thinks .45acp and a 1911 are the only thing capable as a defense weapon. Abhors striker/polymer type calibers, particularly 9mm. It's okay, he's just an ol fahrt that would still rather be driving a horse and buggy(what was used when the 1911 was invented) vs. a much improved firearms system(like a porche in the carworld).
I routinely carry a glock 33, and have .357sig, .40, and 9mm barrels for it. And I can use the extended 40mags with the two round extender giving me lots of firepower. And it's easy to pack rather than that boat anchor.
Really, it's okay JMB would be the first one to agree. He thought the 1911 had issues, that's why he invented the model of 1935.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/24/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't own a Glock. My son and I rented one at the local range last Saturday, and we were decidedly underwhelmed by the trigger. I do own a Springfield XD subcompact that has a much better trigger and shoots accurately at 25 yards. Maybe it is just that rental Glock 17, but based upon that, I would never own one. So we just enjoyed the Kimber 1911 and Hi-power that we brought. Old technology or not - a good trigger is a good trigger and is a factor in accurate shooting.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 1911 because it works. As long as a 1911 is operated in the pressure range it was designed for it'll never blow up. You rarely ever hear of person accidentally shooting himself with a 1911. Heck, soldiers are not the brightest light bulbs when it comes to firearms but I never heard of soldiers accidentally shooting themselves with a 1911 although I'm sure some must have. The Glock on the other hand......

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Same hear.

It's not the plastic or the bulky feel. Glock's are well designed guns (after a few try's). They serve their purpose very well for some.

Growing up with revolvers and 1911's, and shooting them all my life. I just can not get excited about a striker gun.

But that is just me. Old fashion or not, there is a reason why the 1911 is still going strong.

I only own one "euro pellet" gun. A HiPower. It was the "high capacity" gun of the day. I still have it because it looks so nice and pretty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding night sights... I just put two sets of Warren Tactical two dot tritium sights on a couple pistols, a G20 10mm and a S&W M&P 9mm Pro 5". Really like these sights. They are US made, all steel, give a great sight picture, shoot to point of aim and the two dot tritium is excellent. The rear is a small yellow dot set in plain with no white outline, the front dot is larger with a green dot and thin white outline. During day the rear dot is not distracting and for fast shooting the white outline though thin drags your eye directly to the front sight. At the same time if a precision shot is needed the sight picture is excellent. In the dark it is dot over dot and it is simple to know which dot is which. Worth a look...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,638
Posts18,474,424
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.