Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow guys I was talking about the first world war with my 7th graders and the kids started asking questions about the guns they used. I answered them in about as much detail as possible without talking about terminal performance. The next day I was called into the principals office because a concerned Mom did not want guns discussed in 7th grade. Wow how can I turn the American revolution or war of 1812 into a bloodless coup. Or should I create negotiated revolutions?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What did the principal say? Was he/she on the mom's side or your's? tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a teacher and quite frankly unless it's a really valid reason (which this isn't) I don't change my whole curriculum for one person. I mean how would you ever teach anything if you had to cater to every parents whim. I don't make it a practice to walk into other folks place of business and tell them how to run things, they shouldn't expect any different from teachers.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Please try to explain to this "Mom" that history is history and guns are a part of it. Good luck and hold onto you principles.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ask her if she is for terrorism and, if not, how she expects it to be stopped without guns?

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thats a no fooling statement. Wonder if she could answer that one?
<br>
<br>Good shot CAT.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've been a public school teacher at both the middle and high school levels for over 20 years. It is impossible to teach or understand history without studying religion and weapons of the different periods. These things must be done in good taste and in accordance with curriculum standards.
<br>
<br>I do not shy away from these things, but insist that everything is done in good taste and do not let it get weird. I'm sure I could get ahold of a Marine Corp manual about slitting throats with a K-bar, but most of us would agree that we shouldn't go too deeply into the history of slitting throats during the campain in the Pacific. If a kid asked if a land mine could really make a castrati tenor, I would tell him to research it.
<br>
<br>Any questions about weaponry would be answered in a straightforward manner, in good taste. If some mom is anti-gun and doesn't want firearms mentioned she can s_ _ _ _ it up her _ _ _.
<br>
<br>It is important to state things in a professional manner, and be rational. I try to keep myself out of stupid positions. It is much more fun making someone else look stupid. I only do this when someone is screwing with me, but when I'm right, I can be nasty. When I'm left alone, I'm a really nice guy.
<br>
<br>Like David Crockett said, "Be sure you're right and then go ahead."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well said sir, the truth is the only important ingrediant in the mix.IMNO Bravo sir.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And last week the late-night radio talk shows were all abuzz with a woman who was upset a teacher of creative writing had used the word "[bleep]" in class. The principal reprimanded the teacher, even after the true definition was disclosed to him, because the woman was offended because it sounded too much like the "n" word!
<br>
<br>It is obvious you need not be required to think if you are a school administrator!
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NYS - A story. A few years back when I was on the elementary school PTA, we would sponsor mom/son, dad/daughter evenings. Last one I was at was a square dance with my daughters.
<br>
<br>One of the meetings got a little heated. It seems that at the prior mom/son night, they booked a guy by the name of Cowboy Bob. Well it seems ole Cowboy Bob had quite an array of western memorabilia, and really got the boys attention when he pulled out several old revolvers. Got the moms' attention too, but not in a good way.
<br>
<br>Anyway, when he was displaying a particularly large version, one boy raised his hand and asked: "How big of a hole would that put in somebody?" That one really got the soccer moms to frettin'.
<br>
<br>Regards, sse

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
GUys this is my first actual full time teaching job, so I am new to the politics involved. The kids wanted to know about the Gatling and the Lewis machine gun and why shotguns were not used very much. These are upstate country kids so I figured they should know there guns a bit. I suppose that some kid was overwhelmed that I knew a 1903 from a m1911 or a k-98. Anyhow it was strange. The principal, an ex social studies guy, just took the call and kept me from it. He told me to lay low until a better time. 9-11 being pretty fresh in the kids minds and parents being on edge, it seemed like a good idea.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I remember the good old days when I would take my cap lock muzzle loader and a friends flintlock trade gun to show my class when discussing the fur trade era. I also used the novel "Shane" as a part of English and Social Studies classes. We would write skits, decorate the classroom as Graftons General store complete with ammunition for sale and stage mock gunfights. The kids loved it and it was a way I was able to get across Shanes views that a gun is only a tool as good or bad as the one that used it.
<br>I am glad i am now retired after 30 years as a middle years teacher.

Murf
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I was in school our metal shop class was blueprinting the M700. Woodworking was stock building. I admire you for teaching in today's atmosphere, I don't think I could do your job. Hang in there my friend.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just to show ho times have changed.
<br>
<br> I went to school 7th through 12th grade in Harlowton and Sidney, Montana. Class of 1979.
<br>
<br> Kids who drove in from out of town commonly had rifles in the gun racks of their pickups. Parked in the school parking lot. It was not even an issue.
<br>
<br> Can you imagine that today??
<br>
<br>MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a kid in northern IL, we would take our .22 rifles and shotguns to school and keep them in the cloak room so we could hunt on the way home. That should give you an idea of how old I am.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MM,
<br>We tromped some of the same ground! Graduated from Watford City HS in 1980. I was the deputy sheriff in East Fairview in the mid 80's. Ran with some of the deputies from Sidney and the police guys from Fairview. Hunted the badlands east of Sidney a lot as a kid.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Carbonman,
<br>
<br> Small World. Some good hunting in that part of the country.
<br>
<br>Good shootin! MM

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
When people give me a hard time because my kids know about guns, I simply quote Jeff Cooper: "If you don't understand weapons, you won't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting, you won't understand history. And if you don't understand history, you might as well live with your head in a bag." Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my wife teaches in a country school here in alabama. hunting and fishing are the two prime non-school activities for boys. but her kids nevertheless are picking up on this whiny "guns are bad" syndrome that has infected every other part of the country. the other day some kids asked what militia means. she used that topic to wholely support the second amendment as the right for anyone to keep and bear arms, not just the armed forces. what a babe she is.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 3,442 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,410
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.