Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This is a fun thread to follow.

Hey Mr. Rick.........sticky?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
OH! hell i forgot he was going to Ark. but i wont worry about Mike, Miles Patton, will rescue him when he gets close to Conway,Ark.which i think is on his route. rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles Patton, will rescue him when he gets close to Conway,Ark.which i think is on his route

Naw, he should come through Beebe, which is 30 miles closer to me, and he has my number. If he goes through Conway, he will hit some big hills/mountains. Through Beebe is on the edge and mostly flat. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I was Birdie, I'd avoid Little Rock like the Plague! Last time I made a wrong turn off the Interstate there, I was damn glad I was Packing.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was Birdie, I'd avoid Little Rock like the Plague!

Thing on how I understood his route through here, Little Rock will be hard to avoid without a lot more miles or a lot of hard miles through mountains. He will have to cross the Arkansas river at Conway, Little Rock or Pine Bluff. miles

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Miles - can you go stand guard for him, in case he isn't packin' - and maybe even if he is! ?

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been thinking on how he could ride through Little Rock and stay out of the hood. Not being able to go the Interstate makes that hard. There is a bicycle bridge across the Arkansas River at Little Rock but getting to it is hard as most people haul their cycles there and ride the bike trails. That leaves the Main Street Bridge or the Broadway Bridge. And 3 Interstate Bridges. I could haul him through in my truck if he wants. miles

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Seven hours later I'm still in Linden TX, the hospitality of my hosts was such that it would have been uncalled for for me to just up and leave, so (another) gourmet meal and a few rum and cokes later I'm still here.

I got no pics from Day 5, Lake Palestine to Ed and Barbara's on account of the rain. Day 6 I stayed in place, and now 50 miles on Day 7.

Here's the road to their place, basically the sort of place ya ain't gonna find without directions unless you're lost....

[Linked Image]

Uneventful day at first, ten miles in to Gilmer then headed out towards Linden, 40 miles out. I will say there sure is a remarkable number of liquor stores in this part of the world. First I crossed the Lake of the Pines....

[Linked Image]

Then I stopped in at a convenience store/liquor store next to a where I paid $4.95 for one small Big Red fountain drink and two hits on their ice dispenser for my bottles.

Rode on a couple of hours more through beautiful rolling country.

[Linked Image]

With blackwater sloughs....

[Linked Image]

And then an unexpected event occurred...... (Forrest Gump was right)

I roll up to this roadside convenience store at this highway intersection to get water.

Behind the counter is an attractive young woman with an East Texas accent. I'll call her "Amanda" because if she weren't the light of someone's life well then she oughtta be.

Amanda, intrigued by my mission, gives me a phone number and asks me to keep her updated on my progress. I said I would on account of I was already sending group texts to family and friends and such anyway.

Amazing the power of woman: If I weren't due to stop in Linden and visit this afternoon I probably would still be at this very moment pedaling somewhere thru the Arkansas darkness about 70 miles down the road from here.

Pathetic I know grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You are dressed like no other bike rider I have ever seen.

That's because most other bike riders are actually willing to wear spandex... eek

Actually that stuff is working really well, you sweat right through nylon and can feel breezes through it. Between the sleeves, long pants and the hat I ain't even begun to burn after six days out in the sun.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Keep it up Birdwatcher! You're doing great.

Guy

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Actually that stuff is working really well, you sweat right through nylon and can feel breezes through it. Between the sleeves, long pants and the hat I ain't even begun to burn after six days out in the sun.

Birdwatcher

Great thread!

Do all nylon shirts provide sun protection, or do I have to look for ones that list a SPF (sun protection factor)?

The sun isn't usually that intense here near the Arctic Circle, but I do travel south sometimes -- and I burn easily! I figure somebody from Texas like you ought to know about such things! smile

John

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Quick update Day 8.

4:00pm, at a Denny's on the Interstate maybe ten miles west of Texarkana, in Arkansas.

I left my host's place fifty miles back in Linden TX about 9am, Texarkana by noon. Stopped in a convenience store to add water and... a slow flat in the back tire. Couldn't find the cause of the flat, switched out the tube to await developments.

While changing the tube I struck up conversation with a gentleman from Little Rock, a bicycle tourer yet, who gave me helpful suggestions and a phone number to possibly meet himself and his daughter (who also tours).

Between conversing and tire changing an hour was gone, so I figured I might as well stop to eat and read the paper and make it a two hour break.

Ninety minutes ridiing again and I was around the loop on the east side on rt 67, about 140 miles of that (2 days) between here and Little Rock.

Prob'ly Hope tonight or possibly Prescott, for a seventy or ninety mile day depending.

Pics to follow.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best get your snake bite medicine at Fulton, just before you cross the Red River. Long bunch of dry counties. grin miles

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Did the construction on I-30 slow you down?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Running up old 67, parallels the Interstate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdy.....FYI....you can always get free ice from any Mickey D's....keep trucking!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
0keep diggin your doing good. rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Day 8: A 75 mile day. I'm here at the William Jefferson Clinton Hotel here in Hope AR, I have the presidential suite. I ain't touching ANYTHING.

My host Jerry and Martha in Linden last night were located through warmshowers.org, a hospitality organization serving touring cyclists. Their hospitality was splendid cool

Old lions: Here's Jerry and a couple of his buddies. I'm new to bicycle circles, but it was about exactly like hanging around the motorcycle crowd during my motorcycle period.

[Linked Image]

59 north of Linden. Free of chip-seal at last, the going is faster and smoother, a whole gear ratio up cool

[Linked Image]

One State Line down, six more to go......

[Linked Image]

That was a humongous storm in the background, heading east. I just missed it, came in behind it just as it passed cool

Highway 67 southwest of Hope, approaching the Red River. That is Interstate 30 what made 67 obsolete.

[Linked Image]

And here's the storied Red River itself...

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats! Glad to see that wide shoulder to ride on.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.