Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
My family & I will be driving through Louisiana and will arrive in New Orleans around noon, and will have the afternoon and evening free, before going to Oak Alley the following day. We would like to see the French Quarter, including dinner with a good jazz or blues band. Can anyone recommend someplace that is not too risqu�? Our boys are 13, 9, & 7. Thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chuck E Cheese maybe. but be careful, last time I was in there I heard some kid yell "don't look now mama has her boobs out"

Last edited by FlyingDog; 06/24/14.

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No but I'd highly reccomend packing a CCW if I was going to the "Quarter"

Lots of low life scum in that area, IMO. Damn sure wouldn't take my wife & kids if I had any, there after dark.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/25/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Haha...thanks, but I'll pass on the Chuckie Cheese.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by okbowman
My family & I will be driving through Louisiana and will arrive in New Orleans around noon, and will have the afternoon and evening free, before going to Oak Alley the following day. We would like to see the French Quarter, including dinner with a good jazz or blues band. Can anyone recommend someplace that is not too risqu�? Our boys are 13, 9, & 7. Thanks.

crazy

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
No but I'd highly reccomend packing a CCW if I was going to the "Quarter"

Lots of low live scum in that area, IMO. Damn sure wouldn't take my wife & kids if I had any, there after dark.

Thanks, that is a concern. I was there 30 years ago when I was a kid so my knowledge is limited. CCW goes without question, but if that is required then I'm not going. What about daylight hours only?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Acme oyster house....get the smoked oysters...thank me later...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the quarter.....no. I would suggest the Palace Cafe off Canal for lunch or an early dinner though. Especially for lunch.

http://www.palacecafe.com

For dinner I would recommend Drago's a couple blocks off Canal on Poydras, in the Hilton if. I recall. Charbroiled oysters are the shiz-nit.

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NOLA and even the French Quarter is not all like the half dozen blocks of Bourbon St. that make headlines. I would start here for some good ideas:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/family/

Stush
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are good jazz venues in the Marigny too - a neighborhood a few blocks from the French Quarter. It's a bit of a bohemian area, but has some good jazz clubs. I like that part of NOLA better than the quarter.

Not sure what venues would be most kid friendly. Snug Harbor might be ok for an earlier show. Certainly not a risqu� environment, but you do walk through the bar to get to the music room. I saw Ellis Marsalis there the last time I was in town. Good show all around.

Stush
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
try Coops - it looks like a dive but the food is amazing, its just across from Cafe DuMonde and you can walk down to the French Market from the there. The kids will love that area - very touristy and family friendly - no questionable sites like on bourbon street.

I've never been concerned about carrying a weapon in the quarter, especially during hours where you'll have children out.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you stick along the river and around Jackson Square then you'll be OK. I wouldn't take kids within a couple of blocks of Bourbon Street. I don't have sympathy for folks that take their family down Bourbon Street then complain that they saw a bunch of nudity and gays leading each other around by dog chains, they know that stuff's there and if they drag their kids into it then it's their own fault. I'd be out of the French Quarter before nightfall, daytime's fine but after dark is a whole other world. It's summer and the days are long so it should be easy to get done before nightfall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Garden District has many beautiful antebellum homes, and is worth a walk around.

And yes, if you see a girl in a bikini, holding a sign that says "Spankings $1" you're probably in the wrong place...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My advise:

1. Go Elsewhere...

2. Stay Home...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
My advise:

1. Go Elsewhere...

2. Stay Home...

I'd ask, have you been to New Orleans?

I had the same view of the town and region until I visited for work. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found there. A wealth of history, good people and great restaurants.

The entire town gets it's public perception by a few blocks of Bourbon Street and some housing projects. Those make up a very small portion of what the city has to offer. Hell, the WW II Museum alone is worth a stop there.

I've been back a half dozen times to visit friends I've made there. Planning the next trip now. I wouldn't want to live there, but I could say that for every city I've ever visited. Doesn't mean it isn't worth visiting.

Stush
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love New Orleans.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Generally The French Quarter is fairly safe, even at night, as long as you stay where the crowds are. Don't go wandering off by your self. Bourbon Street is not a place for kids due to the "adult" entertainment which is featured pretty strongly. As someone suggested above, stay along the river, the French market and around Jackson Square and the Cathedral. For the kids ,I'd suggest the Aquarium, The WWII Museum, and the zoo. You could probably do that in the afternoon.

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 06/26/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love New Orleans.

me too...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
My advise:

1. Go Elsewhere...

2. Stay Home...

Yeah, really. I might go to LA to catch a redfish, other than that, not much there for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a quality family time, contact Steve_NO.

If you want a ton of crazy fun, contact steelhead.

If either of these guys recommend a place, don't miss it. You'll regret it.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.