Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Why does the US Post Office subsidize Alaska package delivery to remote towns and villages? These subsidies have cost the PO $2,500,000,000 over the past decades! To cut government subsidies and expenditures, the Congress is cutting programs that benefit large numbers of people, but is continuing to subsidize a few. If people want to live of the gird, they should pay for the right and not expect the rest of us to do it for them.

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html?hpid=z1

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Yup
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't speak to whether this is true or not, but I hear that the reason that you can buy stuff delivered to your door, from China, cheap, is because the US Government is subsidizing the shipping. I know that I bought a whole carburetor, for the motor on my tiller, from China and it was $19 to my door. If you have shipped anything lately, you will think that there is some truth to this, as I do. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Yup
Cheers

I guess you approve of the continuous subsidies for people to rebuild year-after-year on the same flooded land following river floods and hurricanes? You ARE in favor of big government!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I did not know this and it sucks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lots of .gov sudsidies up in the Big Ice.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Well my son works for the postal service in nw alaska -he makes a good living serving the people up there.
Not many jobs up there with retirement and healthcare etc. he'll be retiring soon and people had better not start complaining about this stuff now because he needs that retirement money.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Well my son works for the postal service in nw alaska -he makes a good living serving the people up there.
Not many jobs up there with retirement and healthcare etc. he'll be retiring soon and people had better not start complaining about this stuff now because he needs that retirement money.

We all need retirement money; it is just plain wrong that the Congress compels the USPS to waste money on subsidizing Coca Cola (12 pack) deliveries to rural Alaska at the expense of all of us.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
We'd prob all Schitt if we could see an itemized list of what .gov subsidizes!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I agree, kill ANYTHING that funds anything rural. The sooner we can get everyone out of the sticks and jammed into a city, the better it will be for the government.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Link

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I agree, kill ANYTHING that funds anything rural. The sooner we can get everyone out of the sticks and jammed into a city, the better it will be for the government.

Well said.

DJS why don't you go after welfare, billions spent on illegal immigrants etc. if you want to make a name for yourself.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes it's true, and yes it sucks. Glad to see someone in the media pointing it out. This crap won't change until we vote out the good ole boys club who show up for work with lots of taxpayer dollar bills ready to stuff in lobbyists g-strings.

Last edited by Pittu; 06/29/14.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well gee, since there are so few people in Wyoming, the feds out to not subsidize building any highways there then.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think it's a big deal and something to fret over.

What would you have the USPS do?

Charge by the mile for every rural delivery everywhere in the US of A?

What about the West where people live hundreds of miles from an airport and the main mode of delivery is by vehicles driving hither and yonder across the wide open prairie?

Would you charge them more?

If you're mailing a letter across town would you pay less?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wyoming even with its low population is far far from the worst of the states as to receiving federal dollars!

As to the link I posted Wyoming receives only $0.91 in return for every dollar sent to the federal government... and federal spending is only 39.8% of its state revenue.

There are quite a few more states much better at relying on federal dollars!

Phil

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Link

Phil

And Washington DC has the highest GDP, much higher than Alaska. That's some funny shiet there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder what it cost to deliver the mail to Virginia for example? Duh.

Reckon it may have exceeded what Alaska costs were over the past 30 years?

The U.S. Postal Service has lost about $2.5 billion since the early 1980s delivering goods to Alaska�s remote villages

Stupid article and even less informed input from some here...

This is actually one of the things the government is doing that FOLLOWS the U.S. Constitution.

http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2012/08/the-u-s-postal-service-and-the-constitution/

With all the illegal activities and government atrocities that come out weekly, if not daily, that are in direct violation of the constitution, can't anyone find anything better to bitch about? wink

Moochelle's lobster budget is more than that...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That don't matter, Vigina folks are entitled to mail. Seems since there are so many jammed together, with so much PUBLIC transportation, they should have to GO to the PO to get their mail.

A-L from 8am till Noon, M-Z 1pm till 5pm.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by arctic338
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Well said.

DJS why don't you go after welfare, billions spent on illegal immigrants etc. if you want to make a name for yourself.

Well I also support services to rural America at an affordable price...at the same time, I don't support the billions of dollars in welfare abuse in this country.....

Everyone ought to take it upon themselves to visit a welfare office and get a visual look at who that money is actually going to...and many collecting it under multiple aliases also..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 18,612 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,850
Posts18,537,445
Members74,050
Most Online20,407
19 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.