Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sunday's day hike was into a series of lakes that range from 6,000 to 7,000 ft. Most of the lakes were still at least 1/3 iced over. With the hiking all cross country (couldn't find the trails due to snow) it was a good test for a couple new items.

Merrell Quest light Gtx boot:

This boot needed no break in, stayed dry, and handled the 7 hrs off trail on granite, snowbanks, and wet forest duff. Particularly nice was the sole. It is a Vibram brand with a yellow label but it's not the old high carbon yellow label sole we are all used to. This is a softer rubber and gripped very well on the granite even when the sole was wet. It has a softer ride than the old sole and is lighter. Only gripe is that the boot uses hooks for the top three lace points and they make it more difficult to snug up than if they were lower friction loops. This was a closeout from STP purchased some time ago and they are gone now. STP often has Merrell close outs and so far the two different models I have tried have both been great for my needs (and foot shape)

Patagonia Capilene Sox:

Midweight hiking crew......65% wool, 35% other stuff. Very good fit, low friction, great wicking, equal in comfort to my Smartwools and Wigwams. On sale at Patagonia outlet and probably online too for $12. These are slightly thinner than they should have been to provide the best fit for the new Merrels but my feet were in great shape after 7 long hours. I think I'll buy a couple more pr. and also a heavier version if they have one avail. Also bought the light version for my trail running shoes. Size note......These run a tad small. I wear 11 1/2 in most boots and running shoes. The size chart on the label says Large goes to 11 1/2 but for me the XLg was better. I think if you wear up to 10 1/2's the Lg. is the size. 11's or bigger, get the XL sox.

Not yet tested.....REI lite core pad.

My TR Ultrlight 3/4 (1st gen) finally gave up the ghost. For years I have used this 16 oz. pad alone for most things and combined it with a 72" foam pad in colder weather. Went to REI with the intent of just replacing it. I found out that the Therma Rest UL has been replaced by Pro-lite 3&4. The PL 4 is thicker, and I'm willing to accept a little more comfort so was going to go that way. However, the REI lite core pad was equally comfortable, equal weight and $15 less. I bought the full length @ 1lb 11 oz and will suffer the additional 11 oz. in normal weather but not have to deal with the additional bulk of the foam pad when it is colder.

Pentax Optio W10:

Replaced my Canon Elph that got dumped in a creek. Far better camera with big memory and waterproof too. (posted pics in the general forum)

JimF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a pair of the Chameleon II XCRs that I've been totally impressed with. Though I wouldn't want to pack an elk out in them, for trail and light/fast packing they'd be pretty good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, my next purchase is the REI lite core pad... gotta figure Thermarest is making it for REI anyway!

Also gonna take your lead and do the Optio W10... looks like my "ideal" digi cam.

JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Except for the color of the cover, they looked identical. That little Optio is the deal for a camera dunce like me. You'll be amazed how small it is.

JimF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,640
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.