Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They're here and they'll be used, like it or not. I don't like guys running all over the hills with ATV's, either, but I can't stop them. The game wardens have a very hard time stopping any high tech poacher but if they make them illegal, at least it'll cut down on the number of hunters using them.

Nice to see someone with a realistic forward view about drones and hunting around here.

I always get irked by people who think government can simply "ban" things and the problem quickly goes away and is never heard of again. How did the "ban" on illicit drugs, counterfeit products and assault rifles work out? Those banned items are more prevalent in society than ever before.

Drones are here to stay whether hunters or anybody else likes them or not. The only thing lawmakers can do is try to pass realistic laws that might curtail their widespread use in hunting. They might be winning the battle for now, but they'll lose the war.

Last edited by CrackaJack85; 06/28/14.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CrackaJack85
Originally Posted by smokepole
And just for the record, I don't care about the capabilities of drones in 2014, or 2020.

They have no place in hunting. Except for All Qaeda.

You're like the proverbial ostrich that buries it's head in the sand.

Your hunting worldview may have stagnated around 1975, but the world keeps on spinning, and progress can NEVER be stopped.

Many people were saying in the early 1900's "cars are too dangerous and have no place being on the roads where horses belong".

Many people were saying in the 1980's "computers have no place in schools because that's where textbooks and chalkboards belong".

I think you get my point by now.

I got your point a few posts ago, but you didn't get mine. You're promoting illegal and unethical hunting, in order to benefit yourself.

You're F.O.S, and most likely not a hunter. You should just disappear, as fast as you appeared when this subject came up.

Hunting with drones is for people who can't locate game the ethical and legal way..

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They're here and they'll be used, like it or not. I don't like guys running all over the hills with ATV's, either, but I can't stop them. The game wardens have a very hard time stopping any high tech poacher but if they make them illegal, at least it'll cut down on the number of hunters using them.

Yes, people use ATVs illegally and I can't stop them either. Doesn't mean I won't call a spade a spade. And as long as they are just using ATVs for transportation, it's not a fair chase issue. With drones, it is. They have no place in hunting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They're here, they'll be used, but an important point to passing laws against them is the court of public opinion.

Hunters benefit from the 80% people that support hunting with the appearance of hunting for food and fair chase. If there was no law, it could be misconstrued that all hunters use drones and we would lose a battle in the court of public opinion.

http://www.humansandnature.org/hunting---mark-damian-duda---andrea-criscione-response-115.php

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Got'ta agree with Smoke and JRyoung. There is hunting and there is killing.

Most people that subscribe to all these high tech gadgets are after one thing. To be able to punch their tag to bolster their ego that they killed something.

Folks that think that others are caught up in 1975 technology do not, nor ever will, come to realize that we hunt for the challenge and enjoyment of it. We don't carry SPOT units, GPS, radios, small computers to let us dial in ballistics required to make 1000 yard kills, set out trail cameras, or figure we need a drone to spot game.

I think that those guys that want to use all these toys would come home empty handed and eat tag soup most years if they had to figure out how to find game without them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I refuse to just toss it off by saying "they're here, and they'll be used."

So are spotlights, but so what?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I got your point a few posts ago, but you didn't get mine. You're promoting illegal and unethical hunting, in order to benefit yourself.

You're F.O.S, and most likely not a hunter. You should just disappear, as fast as you appeared when this subject came up.

Hunting with drones is for people who can't locate game the ethical and legal way.

You're just an old coot who is stuck in the "good ole days" while the world passes you by, dumbo.

I'm not going away -- and drones are NOT going away. You can't just shut your eyes and click your heels 3 times and pretend all the bad stuff in the world will disappear. How delusional are you?

Remember, there was a time when hunters thought optical scopes and laser rangefinders were "unethical" aids for hunting game, but now they are accepted and endorsed by millions of hunters. Drones will be embraced with loving arms by the general public once they see how many uses there are for them, and hunters will accept them as well.

If you had half an ounce of functioning brain cells in that thick skull of yours --- you'd see that drones are nothing but a pair of binoculars in the air. Nobody with common sense is going to say that's more unethical than using binoculars at ground level. At worst both methods are "cheating" because you're using a device that enhances your natural human vision to hunt game. Hell, even using a gun is "unethical" because you're using chemicals like gunpowder when the truly "ethical" way to hunt is with a bow and arrow like our distant ancestors did. Every modern hunter is "unethical" if you really analyze his equipment for killing animals.

Now if there comes a day when drones actually shoot animals for sport --- then I'd agree that's unethical. Otherwise, you're just getting angry about a pair of binoculars in the sky. Pretty dumb thing to get angry about, but your mind is stuck in 1975 and never progressed.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=CrackaJack85
You're just an old coot who is stuck in the "good ole days" while the world passes you by, dumbo. [/quote]

Would be an interesting comparison as to how many elk us old coots have killed with " stuck in the 1975 era" ,vs how many of the younger sets have killed with all their high-tech gadgetry.

Pretty mouthy for someone who comes on here with 7 posts, trashing respected forum members who have been around for many years and have contributed much respected information.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Would be an interesting comparison as to how many elk us old coots have killed with " stuck in the 1975 era" ,vs how many of the younger sets have killed with all their high-tech gadgetry.

Pretty mouthy for someone who comes on here with 7 posts, trashing respected forum members who have been around for many years and have contributed much respected information.

I don't tolerate old timers who got some delusional idea about how the hunting world "should" work, and how the actual world works. You're living inside your own strange delusions, and it doesnt impress me at all.

As far as bagging trophy game, let's just say I'm a pretty good shot. Or maybe all those expensive taxidermy projects hanging on my wall are just a delusion? Sorta like the same delusion that some anti-tech state politicians pass laws banning drones and they just disappear?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
amen to that, Saddle + Smoke.

if Cracker had a set, he'd be posting under his normal account. if he's in the business of selling drones to buyers who intend to use them for illegal purposes, well.... I guess he's already decided which side of the law he intends to be on.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Drones will be embraced with loving arms by the general public once they see how many uses there are for them, and hunters will accept them as well.

Banned in CO, banned in NM, banned in MT, banned in AK, already covered under rule in ID and WI, WY and VT are on tap, in CA all it would take is a gentle push.

I think it is going to be very difficult to reverse the tide on this. Further, in metro areas there is growing concern over privacy so there could be resistance coming from those angles as well.

There are hundreds of positive uses for drones, but I think the consensus is pretty overwhelming that fair chase hunting is not one of them and most hunters want to preserve that image. Resistance to get the bans passed by Game Agencies has been minimal at this point.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I don't tolerate old timers who got some delusional idea about how the hunting world "should" work, and how the actual world works. You're living inside your own strange delusions, and it doesnt impress me at all.

As far as bagging trophy game, let's just say I'm a pretty good shot. Or maybe all those expensive taxidermy projects hanging on my wall are just a delusion? Sorta like the same delusion that some anti-tech state politicians pass laws banning drones and they just disappear?

Wow.

You don't "tolerate old timers" with a different point of view. shocked You're going to enjoy this place.

Wonder who really has a head stuck in the ground and has no clue how this will play out.

Drones will be illegal to use in hunting in the entire country in a relatively short time, just like using any other aircraft to locate game.

If you feel spotting with a drone is no different than using binos then you should be happy as you will lose nothing, assuming you own some binos and know how to glass. grin

Win/Win.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're just an old coot who is stuck in the "good ole days" while the world passes you by, dumbo.

No, I'm a lifelong hunter who wants to preserve the tradition for my children and grandchildren by promoting ethical hunting practices.

Obviously, you're not. The fact that you promote illegal and unethical hunting practices by telling people how game wardens won't be able to catch illegal drone users tells me all I need to know about you and your moral compass.

As far as the world passing me by, that's a good one. I was going to respond to Saddlesore's post about technology, but I'd rather respond to yours. I have some of the best (and most modern) backpacking and shooting gear available. I use a GPS the size of a wristwatch for navigation (not as an aid in pinpointing the location of animals) and the rest of my gear is among the most lightweight stuff you can buy. Titanium figures into a lot of it, as does carbon fiber, kevlar, etc.

I have laser rangefinders, custom rifles, and top of the line optics that allow me to hit small targets at long distances, with the aid of a ballistics program on a smart phone. I don't hunt with those, but I like shooting with them. For hunting I prefer short-range methods of take, but the equipment is about as modern as it can be; I favor fiber optics over buckhorns.

I'm not sure why you would want to launch a personal attack on someone you know nothing about, and get it all wrong in the process. It makes you look foolish.

If you had half an ounce of functioning brain cells in that thick skull of yours --- you'd see that drones are nothing but a pair of binoculars in the air. Nobody with common sense is going to say that's more unethical than using binoculars at ground level.

Thanks for the laugh, but as Mr. Young already pointed out, lots of state game management agencies have already made the determination otherwise. So you lose on that point. But go ahead, tell us all again how it doesn't matter, since game wardens won't be able to catch illegal drone users.

As far as your name calling, "old coot" and all that, I tell you what. There's a Colorado get-together planned for later this month. You're officially invited:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...1001/Colorado_2014_Gathering#Post8581001

I'd like to meet you in person, come on out.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
If you feel spotting with a drone is no different than using binos then you should be happy as you will lose nothing, assuming you own some binos and know how to glass. grin

Win/Win.

Double grin, good one!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hunting with drones is for people who can't locate game the ethical and legal way.

I'm not going away -- and drones are NOT going away. You can't just shut your eyes and click your heels 3 times and pretend all the bad stuff in the world will disappear. How delusional are you?

Remember, there was a time when hunters thought optical scopes and laser rangefinders were "unethical" aids for hunting game, but now they are accepted and endorsed by millions of hunters. Drones will be embraced with loving arms by the general public once they see how many uses there are for them, and hunters will accept them as well.

If you had half an ounce of functioning brain cells in that thick skull of yours --- you'd see that drones are nothing but a pair of binoculars in the air. Nobody with common sense is going to say that's more unethical than using binoculars at ground level. At worst both methods are "cheating" because you're using a device that enhances your natural human vision to hunt game. Hell, even using a gun is "unethical" because you're using chemicals like gunpowder when the truly "ethical" way to hunt is with a bow and arrow like our distant ancestors did. Every modern hunter is "unethical" if you really analyze his equipment for killing animals.

Now if there comes a day when drones actually shoot animals for sport --- then I'd agree that's unethical. Otherwise, you're just getting angry about a pair of binoculars in the sky. Pretty dumb thing to get angry about, but your mind is stuck in 1975 and never progressed.

I've never heard reference to scopes or rangefinders being considered unethical. Both aid in making a clean shot.

What you are promoting, and much of the reason why Colorado has banned them is because drones are an aid to finding game without ever setting foot in that area.

The difference between trail cameras and drones boil down to the necessity of having to actually travel to the place where you hope to find game. Drones could allow you to skip most of the traditional footwork involved, which is why no western state will allow the use of them.

Thankfully they only have a couple mile range, that's pretty worthless out here. I realize that can change, and like anything, there's always the cat and mouse game between poachers and game wardens. Determined poachers like you will probably always be a step ahead, but like always, your big mouth will be what gets you in trouble.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I'd rather get skunked.

For sure.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
If a guy needs his wife sitting in a cabin operating a drone to find game for him, he ought to re-evaluate why he's even out there. Plus, he probably needs to grow a set.

No doubt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by uinta
If a guy needs his wife sitting in a cabin operating a drone to find game for him, he ought to re-evaluate why he's even out there. Plus, he probably needs to grow a set.

No doubt.

Word. You old coot. 1975 called. It wants its leisure suit back.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by exbiologist
What you are promoting, and much of the reason why Colorado has banned them is because drones are an aid to finding game without ever setting foot in that area.

The difference between trail cameras and drones boil down to the necessity of having to actually travel to the place where you hope to find game. Drones could allow you to skip most of the traditional footwork involved, which is why no western state will allow the use of them.

In all 50 states, having a couple buddies tag along with you on your hunt and have them walk ahead of you and scout for game is legal, but yet you say having a tiny robot flyer in the sky with a camera doing the EXACT SAME THING is illegal?

I'd like to hear your pea brain explain that hypocrisy. It doesn't matter whether it's human eyes or a drone, either one is scouting for game to assist in your hunt and both are perfectly "ethical".

Thankfully they only have a couple mile range, that's pretty worthless out here. I realize that can change, and like anything, there's always the cat and mouse game between poachers and game wardens. Determined poachers like you will probably always be a step ahead, but like always, your big mouth will be what gets you in trouble.

Drones with the proper amplified equipment can already extend out to 5 miles and probably within a few years out to 10 miles. They are getting faster and with larger battery capacity every year. Any elk hunter who doesn't want to know if there's viable game within a 10 mile radius is a total clown. Judging by some of the people posting in here, I can see there's already a few out there.

I never said I was a poacher. I just advocate the use of drones because they do the EXACT same things as humans do --- scout for game except they do it in the sky instead of a human crawling up in a tree with a pair of binoculars. No difference at all.

And some of you idiots keep bringing up "hunting ethics" and I've never seen an objective, definitive, authoritative guide on "Hunting Ethics". Ethics by their nature are purely subjective, so the idea of any one person imposing their "hunting ethics" on somebody else is laughable. One guy thinks using a rifle scope and turkey calls are unethical, and another guy thinks they are fine. Ethics is VERY wide open to interpretation.

Those facts should shut your big mouth up, dumbo.

Last edited by CrackaJack85; 07/03/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's wrong cracka, are you grumpy because you can't hunt with an aircraft?

Hunt like a man. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.