Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about the Hawaiians?

Think of much we pay to subsidize mail for those phat bastids.

Jets flying here, jets flying there, island hoping jets flying everywhere. grin

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The federal government should do nothing but protect those unified states which comprise these United States, to include policing the national borders, North, South, East and West. Individual states should do ALL the rest pertaining to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all their citizens.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep], we drop $30 billion a year plus in Puerto Rico, set them adrift and we can keep mail going to Alaska.

I'm fairly certain Alaska provides more high paying jobs, oil and seafood than PR.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Why does the US Post Office subsidize Alaska package delivery to remote towns and villages? These subsidies have cost the PO $2,500,000,000 over the past decades! To cut government subsidies and expenditures, the Congress is cutting programs that benefit large numbers of people, but is continuing to subsidize a few. If people want to live of the gird, they should pay for the right and not expect the rest of us to do it for them.

Ask yourself if we'd be better off if the US population was all located in a few dozen metropolises. Also, ask yourself what your direct and indirect government "charity" allotment is. As with just about anything costs are less per unit as magnitude increases. From that standpoint, nothing rural can be justified - anywhere in the US. If you want to make the USPS more efficient, why even have personal mail delivery at all? What's wrong with dropping by the local, centralized mail depots (like all rural people in Alaska do?)

Now, excuse me while I enjoy a meal made with subsided ultra-pasteurized 'fresh' milk and fresh mushrooms: 2 gallons milk/ 8 oz mushrooms; $32.35.

And the next time you fly on a plane carrying mail - you do know when your plane carries mail, right?- make sure you are grateful for the subsidy since that mail helps to keep the costs of passenger tickets lower. Oh, and don't buy the cheap tickets either 'cause the person next to you might easily be carrying the difference on a much higher priced ticket.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
DJS is just a liberal idiot troll. Worrying about what likely amounts to less than 250 million a year in federal funds is like worrying about a hang nail after getting your throat slit.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Well my son works for the postal service in nw alaska -he makes a good living serving the people up there.
Not many jobs up there with retirement and healthcare etc. he'll be retiring soon and people had better not start complaining about this stuff now because he needs that retirement money.

We all need retirement money; it is just plain wrong that the Congress compels the USPS to waste money on subsidizing Coca Cola (12 pack) deliveries to rural Alaska at the expense of all of us.

You don't think everyone who drinks that stuff is getting a government subsidy? Coca-Cola in 12 packs is $12.49 - at least when it's on sale... close to $15 regular. Yeah, I'm sure there's probably a subsidy in there but I'm not foolish enough to pay that much for nothing. (And I wish that a lot of subsidized things weren't, but who gets to choose?)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I agree, kill ANYTHING that funds anything rural. The sooner we can get everyone out of the sticks and jammed into a city, the better it will be for the government.

now you are writing like Sherp?

the usps is so screwed up they can't even get my mail delivered.
they send it back with a sticker saying the right address is wrong and with a wrong address on it. I call the postmistress once a week and she promises to fix it. wrong

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why does Alaska even need mail and stuff? cool

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Yup
Cheers

I guess you approve of the continuous subsidies for people to rebuild year-after-year on the same flooded land following river floods and hurricanes? You ARE in favor of big government!

There are a lot of rules there that will not allow rebuilding unless specs are met... it ain't quite what you are making that out to be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
Why does Alaska even need mail and stuff? cool

Point!

Heck, mail wouldn't be some darned expensive out here is the government hadn't built that silly railroad so that millions of dollars of coal couldn't have been shipped out, military 'junk' couldn't have been brought in (to wreck and despoil Alaska), and supplies for an 800 mile oil pipeline (which the gov't shares profits from) to suck Alaska dry. That darned railroad ruined a perfectly good, efficient (annual) marine and river delivery system which was no longer profitable after the railroad and planes came on the scene. Matter of fact, I blame those two clowns down in the Carolinas for screwing things up. Heck, we probably might not even need Alaska's oil -or the wars in the Mid-East- if we weren't running those god-awful, fuel-guzzling, huge planes........two Wrights might have been Wrong! Most of all, it's the darned gov't fault for doing stuff!

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Billions wasted in Iraq and people are complaining about a couple of eskimos receiving subsidized Mail?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

We all need retirement money; it is just plain wrong that the Congress compels the USPS to waste money on subsidizing Coca Cola (12 pack) deliveries to rural Alaska at the expense of all of us.

Wouldn't that fall under that hazardous, liquid, or perishable thing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not directed at FieldGrade but there is a lot of ignorance shown on this thread. Better to compare actual dollars than to percentages for one. Those who use the percentage comparison are falling into the liberal mindset.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
While discussing USPS, I still don't get why they feel the need to deliver mail on SATURDAY... WTF.

Plus I"d be fine with 2 times a week for mail. Put it on a route, you hit different routes every few days.

Makes a lot more sense.

Ain't a damn thing I need from the mail that can't wait a few days.

And if there were... there are a few otehr services....

I'd be willing to bet, though it wouldn't save that much money likely, that most rural folks, even in AK, would be ok with 1-2 times a week delivery. I wonder how many even could or would get their mail every day if it was delivered that way.

But of all the places to complain about, rural Alaska is the least of my worries about wasted money.

Its the hell hole cities that folks choose to live in that waste the most by far IMHO. Just so many liberals in them and on teh dole...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by arctic338
I agree, kill ANYTHING that funds anything rural. The sooner we can get everyone out of the sticks and jammed into a city, the better it will be for the government.

Well said.

DJS why don't you go after welfare, billions spent on illegal immigrants etc. if you want to make a name for yourself.

Urban welfare accounts for less than rural welfare.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs

Well said.

DJS why don't you go after welfare, billions spent on illegal immigrants etc. if you want to make a name for yourself.

Put the crack pipe down and walk away slowly...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by fish head
I don't think it's a big deal and something to fret over.

What would you have the USPS do?

Charge by the mile for every rural delivery everywhere in the US of A?

What about the West where people live hundreds of miles from an airport and the main mode of delivery is by vehicles driving hither and yonder across the wide open prairie?

Would you charge them more?

If you're mailing a letter across town would you pay less?

YES! If people choose to live in inaccessible places and it costs more to serve them should pay higher fees. Just as you if you live in a hurricane prone coastal area, you SHOULD pay higher insurance fees to address the higher potential damage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Why does the US Post Office subsidize Alaska package delivery to remote towns and villages? These subsidies have cost the PO $2,500,000,000 over the past decades! To cut government subsidies and expenditures, the Congress is cutting programs that benefit large numbers of people, but is continuing to subsidize a few. If people want to live of the gird, they should pay for the right and not expect the rest of us to do it for them.

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html?hpid=z1

Yeah! All them damn natives should move to the city like everyone else! Why should the fact that their families have lived on the edge for hundreds of years get them special services like mail? (TIC)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by djs

Well said.

White, non-urban residents account for greater welfare costs than urban residents. Also, highway and other subsidies are higher in rural areas (just think of the Interstate highway costs for Wyoming (big land area, small population). Or, think of Eastern Washington State - http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/welfare-state/Content?oid=6686284

Last edited by djs; 06/29/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs

Well said.

White, non-urban residents account for greater welfare costs than urban residents. Also, highway and other subsidies are higher in rural areas (just think of the Interstate highway costs for Wyoming (big land area, small population). Or, think of Eastern Washington State - http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/welfare-state/Content?oid=6686284

I know - they should shut down I-80 and all those billions in interstate goods can magically be transported by executive order.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,545
Posts18,531,346
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.