Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Curious to hear input from people who have read and watched Lone Survivor.

I read the book before watching the movie and felt somewhat disappointed by the movie. For one, the movie really glossed over some of the biggest struggles Marcus had to endure between the initial battle and his discovery by the Afghan villagers. Another was some huge discrepancies between the book and movie. I was under the impression that Luttrell was heavily involved in the movie's production. If so, I have no idea how some key elements were so badly butchered up. (I'm intentionally leaving out specific details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the movie or read the book.)

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yeah, movie really compressed the events post "battle".....made it seem like only one day until he was rescued whereas I believe it was several days and several moves around.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Book was much more intense than the movie I thought.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The final "Battle" in the village left me shaking my head. I bought the book shortly after it came out and had read it a number of times prior to watching the movie, and while I enjoyed the movie, it was a pale shadow of what the book described. Luttrell not only was involved in the production, he was one of the operators in the movie.
The way Deitz and Murphy died in the movie was not even close to how it was portrayed in the book (Deitze especially was done a disservice in his portrayal in the movie IMO). Tho' I do have to say that Axe came off well in both versions. Axelson is the one team member I would like to read/hear more about, he made the Taliban pay dearly for his life.
There's a movie (documentary?) out on Murphy that I very much wanna see as well.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."

- Plato
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought the movie was pretty good.
(Remember that the movie was based on the book, not a documentary.)
That being said, it lost alot because of the ending, not even remotely close. Recommend reading the book either before or after the movie.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like the others have said, the book is better than the movie. They could have done a better jod with casting imho.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I just started on the book. The movie can wait.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know Marcus Luttrell slightly, know one of his brothers very well. He, Marcus, said his involvement in the movie was just to say yes or no when they asked him a question and then the writers/directors ignored what ever answer he gave them.

Quando Omni Moritati
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Agree, the book was better. I read it before the movie.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had the privilege to hear Marcus tell his story in person last week. I had not read the book or seen the movie so I got it straight from the horse's mouth. Marcus talked about the movie some. His biggest criticism of the movie was that it's just hard to fit everything into a 2 hour block. He did say that they changed or hollywooded a few things but overall he was ok with the movie. He was very impressed with the stuntman who worked the movie. He said asked one of them that was about to jump off a cliff what his plan was. The guy told him I'm about to jump off this cliff and try not to die. Marcus told him he was crazy. The guy looked at him and said " you jumped off cliffs like this didn't you?" Marcus told him yes, but I was being shot at. He said when the guy jumped he broke his wrist or something but he was back at work the next day.

Last edited by Deepsouth; 07/02/14.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I read the book when it first came out, saw the movie and just read the book again. The book stirred my emotions and captivated me, not so much with the movie. I'll read the book again and again, but could care less if I see the movie again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Book was good. Movie was just okay which is a shame since they didn't need to Hollywood it up to make for a good story.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by minnmarcus
Book was much more intense than the movie I thought.

Agreed

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Watched the movie first and then read the book. The book is a must, movie pales in comparison.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't care for the book that much, but I understand it. I could have skipped all the words on seal training and how bad they are etc... I was already aware of that.

But the actual battle read in the book was detailed IMHO.

The movie not so much. Of course how long did it take me to read the book? And what do you compress into a short movie?

Plus, as always, you have to make it for the masses... which I hate... fluff here and there so to speak. LIke any of the "reality" shows out there today.

Bottom line, I think it did a fair job as a movie, but they are never realistic, many folks would not watch that, especially the waiting, day and night, thats boring, so none would stand for it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I understand they have to change things for the movie but why did they have to make up stuff. The battle at the village never happened. They did not attack the village because they needed the village people�s support and the elder of that area was much respected so they could not go against him. At the end when Marcus coded was stupid. Why did they make that up? He never coded. Their story is incredible without making those two things up. Like Marcus said God was looking after him and it was a miracle that he survived. His rifle to end with him after every fall off a cliff is a miracle in itself. What a story of survival.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
made up because the majority of folks won't watch it unless its drama all the way...

Me, I'd like to see things as they actually were. Not trumped up.

And this one would not have been boring, to me, but it would to masses....IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I took the book along on a long International flight earlier this year and the movie was available on the flight as well. I had time to read the book and then immediately watch the film. I like many others enjoyed the book more than the movie. I ended up reading the book again on the return flight a few days later. The book is a great read and gives a much better account of the events than what they could possibly do with a two hour movie. I do wish they had stayed more with the facts in regards to the ending.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Not sure why this is a surprise. Book is always better.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
The way Deitz and Murphy died in the movie was not even close to how it was portrayed in the book (Deitze especially was done a disservice in his portrayal in the movie IMO).

Dietz's death in the movie was a disgrace. I'm surprised Luttrell didn't beat the director to death after seeing how Dietz and Murphy died in the movie. Especially Dietz, because it gave the impression that Luttrell left him behind (knowing he was still alive) while falling back from the Taliban.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,791
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.