Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I was perusing the campfire looking for a thread where folks were posting pics and describing their holiday. I couldn't find one that wasn't polluted with politics and bitching. If one exists I'll apologize up front for sucking at searching for threads. grin

Usually my BFF comes up w/ family and we shoot guns, eat, set off fireworks and have a general great time. This year he stayed in town and cooked cabbage. grin However, it was a really awesome time up this way. My son has been shooting since he was little, fish to water. My daughter on the other hand has never shown any interest, and though before I unleash her on the world, she WILL have requisite weapon skills to defend herself and competently run at least a couple types of guns. And WILL have shot and dressed at least one deer. To that end I have taken a soft approach with her. Always offering, and letting her know it was on the table if she wanted to shoot with me, or with me and her brother. Well, I'll be damned. A couple days ago she mentioned to her mom that she might like to try to shoot. Boy, I lit up!

I told her I have some .22 shorts that would be quiet and kick not at all. She asked if I had any .22 pistols, and her brother pipes in with an affirmative. Now, the pistol was her idea, I had suggested she start with a rifle, but she was adamant on the pistol. So after busting some clays with my son, and wife, I grabbed the 22/45 and after some brief instruction she lit off a couple. Her very first shot with a real gun she shattered a clay bird at about 20 feet. The pics below illustrate me explaining sight picture to her, and then her shooting. The pistol wasn't quite as fun as she had hoped, but the rifle sounded cool. I set up a box and some clays, set her up with her brother's Mini-bolt and some shorts and she loved it! Whooohooo. Pretty proud papa today guys.

Also I should add, her mom had already explained why for self defense it was important she know how to operate a gun. I built on this with an explanation on why the 2nd Amendment is so fundamentally critical to our freedoms, and was able to dovetail that into an Independence Day proud to be an American and what it took our forebears for us to be able to say that today.

I hope you all had as good a day as I did.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/paisgrande/IMG_0311_zps93303c12.jpg[/img]

MAGA

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Crap, just saw the thread below with a nice friendly 4th discussion and service members recognition. My bad, didn't need a new thread after all.

MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
GOOD job!!!

Here is how I spent my day.
[Linked Image]

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Good stuff there.

Didn't recognize you without the beard.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I sat on the front porch loudly doing my best impersonation of Hank Williams singin' "Jambalaya" while 2 French Canadians looked on while wearing expressions of utter disapproval.

Was talkin' 'bout,.."Sing along!!"

~~~ME GOTTA GO POLE DA PIROGUE DOWN DA BAYOU!!~~~

,..they didn't seem to be amused.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like big fun..

We celebrated by pawn shopping, and blowing chit up. Both in celebration of kicking the Brits and their chitty food and fugged up teeth outta our country.

Is that a clean shirt?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Whew Rost, that looks hot. Gas?

Yeah Shane, I hardly recognize myself in the morning sometimes. grin

Indeed Rancho it was. Mighty dapper if I do say so myself. wink And I do because no one else would.

MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
crude oil basically... salt water disposal well in front of my house of all places, this was the 4th lightning strike fire the department has put out there so far.

Rattled the house pretty good when it blew. It had just vented a big tank and flared when I took the picture, when I looked around even the chief was behind me and all the trucks had pulled away.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Worked.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is how some of our service members celebrate Independence Day.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent mine here, but makes me glad to see you bringing the next generation along the right way.

[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Work. Someone had to keep the computers running.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Irrigated pasture, doctored a couple cows, and then made a run to the res to get the kids some good fireworks. Blew about $150, got the kids a nice cream and headed home. Kids played in the water while we changed water and then home to wait for dark. Neighbor came over and together we set off almost $300 worth of res fireworks. Kids had a blast so I did as well.

Would liked to have gone shooting but it was just too hot around here. Did let the kids shoot some prairie dogs for the first time earlier in the week while coming home from a ranch I was doing some work at. Fun times

Montana MOFO
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Took the family to Concord MA, went to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery to see the graves of Thoreau, Hawthorne, Emerson and Alcott, them did the Lexington and Concord Battle Road followed by a trip to Faneuil Hall and the Old State house. Doing independence hall and the liberty bell in Philly tomorrow, figured I'd go se where it all started on the most appropriate day for it. Time to teach the kids a little history.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I was perusing the campfire looking for a thread where folks were posting pics and describing their holiday. I couldn't find one that wasn't polluted with politics and bitching. If one exists I'll apologize up front for sucking at searching for threads. grin

Usually my BFF comes up w/ family and we shoot guns, eat, set off fireworks and have a general great time. This year he stayed in town and cooked cabbage. grin However, it was a really awesome time up this way. My son has been shooting since he was little, fish to water. My daughter on the other hand has never shown any interest, and though before I unleash her on the world, she WILL have requisite weapon skills to defend herself and competently run at least a couple types of guns. And WILL have shot and dressed at least one deer. To that end I have taken a soft approach with her. Always offering, and letting her know it was on the table if she wanted to shoot with me, or with me and her brother. Well, I'll be damned. A couple days ago she mentioned to her mom that she might like to try to shoot. Boy, I lit up!

I told her I have some .22 shorts that would be quiet and kick not at all. She asked if I had any .22 pistols, and her brother pipes in with an affirmative. Now, the pistol was her idea, I had suggested she start with a rifle, but she was adamant on the pistol. So after busting some clays with my son, and wife, I grabbed the 22/45 and after some brief instruction she lit off a couple. Her very first shot with a real gun she shattered a clay bird at about 20 feet. The pics below illustrate me explaining sight picture to her, and then her shooting. The pistol wasn't quite as fun as she had hoped, but the rifle sounded cool. I set up a box and some clays, set her up with her brother's Mini-bolt and some shorts and she loved it! Whooohooo. Pretty proud papa today guys.

Also I should add, her mom had already explained why for self defense it was important she know how to operate a gun. I built on this with an explanation on why the 2nd Amendment is so fundamentally critical to our freedoms, and was able to dovetail that into an Independence Day proud to be an American and what it took our forebears for us to be able to say that today.

I hope you all had as good a day as I did.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/paisgrande/IMG_0311_zps93303c12.jpg[/img]

Outstanding BGG!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well,,, I spent part of it bragging about my new found technical skills and starting a thread about something other than politics and bitching.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8996011/1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BGG;
Thanks for sharing the photos of your family's Fourth of July with us, I appreciate it on several levels.

It's always a grand thing to see fathers spending time with their offspring and when it's shooting or hunting it's even more grand. Well done to you sir.

On a side note, I've been seen doing very similar hand signals whilst getting a new shooter up and running with open sights. Funny how some things are sort of universal isn't it?

Again sir, thanks and well done to you. All the best to you folks for the rest of this weekend too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Did some load testing since it was only 85 yesterday.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great stuff BGG!!

Looks like you will have another hunting partner to chase those mule deer and antelope.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Cut alfalfa.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Anaconda, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.