Print Thread
Hop To
N
neb33 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ok I know this subject has been around the block before but I want your opinion.
I shoot a 60lb bow with a 400 carbon arrow with a 100gr three blade head.
I have taken many deer with this set up but everyone want heaver arrow and broad head. I have had many pass through but not all kills have been pass through. About 8 of these kills have been 50 yard to 60 yard shots with recovered deer kills.
I would say 85 percent of the kills have been mule deer kills.
The question is why all the hype on bigger and heaver weights. Do you think my setup is fine and why would you change?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are fine. If it ain't broke, y fix it?

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not a problem. I shoot 425 grains, and have had several pass throughs on elk at 50 yards. You can increase penetration with shaving sharp broadheads and by waxing your arrow shafts with car wax that has silicone in it.

N
neb33 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thanks for your opinion. I would like to up grade but like you said why it works. I have shot the same bow for 12 years and have the confidence in the bow and know it well. I think that has value verses faster and bigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
While that one has done and will do again - there have been quite a few changes in hunting bows over the last 12 years. Most are shorter, lighter, faster and shoot smoother with less recoil. You could probably drop 5-10# of draw weight and still get the same arrow speed with a newer bow. I was a hold out with my old '03 Ultratec but gave in last year and bought a Hoyt Charger. Nice bow for around $500.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Neb - I shoot heavy arrows and light arrows, both have their values. For East Coast animals where I do most of my hunting, a 400 grain arrow is fine and flies very well with a tight pin gap for aiming.

The heavier arrows penetrate, and usually pass through, but they don't kill any quicker for me than the lighter ones. While the thought of a bit of extra kinetic energy might a comfort for some, a properly placed arrow does the same for me.

I'd agree with Center, you are missing a decade of tech and better bows that are out there. I don't think you need to trade every year, or every three. But, by about five years, the tech has usually changed enough to make it worth looking at again.

I had my archery gear stolen in 1997, and didn't come back into the market until 2009. Everything I knew...wasn't true any more, and I had to relearn my hobby all over. I have since purchased a bow like the one I had stolen, just to shoot the "then" and "now" once in a while. My old bow will still kill, but it's loud, slow, heavy, and much less forgiving.

Buy used, the fan-clubs have members trading bows every year, and 1-3 year old bows don't hold value, when the new models come out.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/10/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1lesfox, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,285
Posts18,525,686
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.