-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah I need to go ahead and get an order up..My local powder and Nosler Bullet supplier, Georgia Arms, does a lot of loading with Hornady bullets so I'll see if they have them Mon..I have been hearing Packs of coyotes lately so I need to get busy..I have been wanting to learn how to call them in too..
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Evening BULLWNKL >> Just reading through the posts here and your comments make me wonder. If the .270, 7mm and .300 WSM's don't surpass their .270 WbyMag, 7mm RemMag and .300 WinMag counterparts in any performance categories, what makes you think that a .264 WSM would surpass the .264 WinMag? Just curious. Chat with ya later. >> klallen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may want to give those wicked little Sierra 90grn HP's a try for coyotes. They were very accurate in my Sendero & made a real impression on the coyote that happened to get in the way of one [Linked Image] Poor BC, but are great out to 200 yds or so. (MV was 3780 fps ave)

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hey, Norm!
<br>
<br>Ignorance is temporary...and easily solvable! Hence, the questions are welcome, because they indicate the desire to know. No asked question is an ignorant one!
<br>
<br>[Stupidity, on the other hand, differs from ignorance and would never dare to ask...knowledge is deadly to stupidity's very existence...]
<br>
<br>Describing the "pro's" of a short-action already done before I could get back to this thread...lots of valid reasoning there. The bench-rest crowd seems to be the most vocal touting the short-action, where they are of the opinion the extra fraction of an inch saved nets them slightly more time to set up for their next shot.
<br>
<br>That might be an advantage in competition, but I haven't noticed any real personal advantage in the field - have never needed a follow-up shot, and the deer have never seen fit critique my choice of action to date. If it cycles smoothly, that's all I ask of my rifles' actions.
<br>
<br>I hope we dispelled your temporary ignorance there...
<br>
<br>Ted
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just a question, if you like short actions and you could
<br>gain performance (say an extra 200 fps) at the expense
<br>of one less round in the mag. What would you take?
<br>Think of a 08 on steroids?
<br>
<br>I bought my son a 300 WSM in a 70 FWT this past year.
<br>He's 14 and not ready for its full recoil, but that's okay.
<br>I just load it down to slow 308 velocities. As he grows
<br>so will the loads. They are very accurate by the way.
<br>Same could be said of the 7mm.
<br>I load 180 NPs at 2600 fps for him, with proven potintial
<br>of getting 3,100 fps. I load a plinking round using
<br>125 BTs and 44 g of 3031 or 4895. Again very accurate.
<br>
<br>I like the 7mm WSM and believe 120s kicking out of it
<br>would be the cat's meow on deer. 3,600 fps anybody?
<br>This should easily be attainable being the shorter lighter
<br>bullets allow for more powder in the short case.
<br>
<br>If the WSMs only attain standard mag speed. Well,
<br>thats all I need to satisfy my speed lust.
<br>
<br>I'm thinking that the 300 SAUM in a 22" LTR style rifle
<br>fitted with a 3.5 x10 x40 would make me happy as well.
<br>One built around 175 g MKS, This should break
<br>the grand barrier and be more than stable. Sniper City!
<br>
<br>I'm hoping to see a 25 WSM or 25 SAUM in a Rem MTN
<br>Rifle as well w/ a 24" tube and slower twist for
<br>100 grain bullets.
<br>
<br>The WSM chambered for a Remmy action will get 10%
<br>more capacity than the SAUM. Just about as much as
<br>if you wildcatted a cartridge.
<br>
<br>The WSM I have shot, does shoot with less recoil than
<br>my regular mags. A felt difference for me anyway.
<br>
<br>I'm all for them.
<br>

Last edited by SU35; 09/17/02.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I could have really got excited about short mags if the manufacturers had stepped up and made the .358 from the start. They messed up years ago and let the 338 control all production and now they are perpetuating the 338 again. Nothing wrong with the 338 but the 358 just does it all better.So many users have found the 358 round so good, in different cases, that the only reason there are no production guns is because of the famliarity of the 338 in years gone by.What a shame! There doesn't seem to be enough market for the 338 and 358 at the same time--or is there??

cavey
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
From a ballistics and field performance standpoint, the .358 is a great bore. Could even be argued to be one of, if not the best, all-round bores for North American game.
<br>
<br>However, that never translated over in terms of marketing success. It seems that the American rifle market never has "liked" certain rifle bores (the 9.3mm, .358, .348, 8mm, 6.5mm, and .257 bores all come to mind here), while has had a constant love affair with others (the .22, .243, .270, 7mm, .308 and .338 bores all enjoy this status). Why? No real logic tells me why...Anyone who tries and uses the bores listed in the former group knows they work quite well. Somehow, the former just don't have the "appeal" the latter do in the marketplace.
<br>
<br>Just think for a moment...supposed the WSM was first offered with a .358 bullet instead of a .308 bullet...it might have made enough of a splash to revitalize commercial interest in the bore. The magnum crowd could then have the 338 full length belted magnum and the 358 short beltless magnum...both bores would have great cartridges as their champions...but, alas, t'was not meant to be...
<br>
<br>I can figure the WSM series to come to rest with having a .270, 7mm, 300, and 338 line-up. Note that these are all in the "appeal" group. There might be an entry in the 375 bore, but the 358 is too close to the 338, so it will likely get left at the doorstep again. I agree - that's a shame.
<br>
<br>Thus, if I want a WSM in 9.3mm, .358, or 8mm, I'll be wildcatting them. I have ditto the same feelings for those bores in a .308-based cartridge...at least the .358 WCF was introduced (I wish it would be re-introduced) and has a fine rep among those who use(d) it.
<br>
<br>I think there's enough hunters in both camps (the 338 and the 358) to make a WSM offering in both bores do well. The right marketing pitch would make it work, it would seem. And it would take the rivalry between sectional density and bullet diameter to the next level...
<br>
<br>Ted
<br>

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.