Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Watched the new episode last night at 10PM EST. From watching the previous shows + this one, I have a question. Do they ever take a bear? I have not seen a single bear taken yet. It appears that the History Channel wants to portray the hunt, but not the kill, in order to be politically correct???

I did get to see a hunter pull a trigger last night, but called it a miss before the show did. IF it was the actual shot and not a cutaway (reenactment for the film crew) shot, that guy missed him by a mile! He lifted his head completely off the stock, and presumably lost the sight picture in his scope, before even pulling the trigger! I was telling my wife "no way he connected with that bear"

That show has been pretty disappointing to me, and it seeme like it was going to be pretty decent early on....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pretty much stopped watching the History Channel when they changed format and Roger Mudd is no longer there, It was great when they started, in the last few years it pretty much a waste of time

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My dad got to sit beside Roger Mudd on a plane flight many years ago.....said he was an enjoyable guy to shoot the breeze with and swap lies.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There have been 3 or 4 killed on there. The cute girl with the ML got one and Indian guide's client got one on the same show. There were a couple killed early on in the first couple of shows.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you think that show is a disappointment, just wait til you see what they have in the works... sick

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll watch it, if for nothing else just the scenery. Beats the hey'll out of Am Idol etc. DVR it, watch an episode in about 20 minutes.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
???? and the same guys bitch when a hunting show pops up where NOBODY ever misses or goes home skunked. THE HUNT is not jerking ANYBODY around. They HUNT and either get game or not. It ain't tree stands over bait piles or feeders.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MagMarc
There have been 3 or 4 killed on there. The cute girl with the ML got one and Indian guide's client got one on the same show. There were a couple killed early on in the first couple of shows.

I have not seen too many episodes including the one where you say the cute ML girl got her bear.
I saw the week before where her dad took off and left her alone in bear country.
I threw a walleyed fit until I stopped to realize she was not really alone. Had her whole camera crew.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, it ain't perfect, but to see the hunting of Kodiak Brown Bears being accepted in a mainstream media outlet is good regardless of the nits we might pick regarding it's composition.

Hats off to the History channel for the "Mountain Men" program as well for presenting hunting and trapping in a good light that allows urbanites a positive view into our lives as outdoorsmen.

Both shows get criticized by many of us (myself included), but as a whole, I think both are pretty well accepted by the general public and that is good for all of us.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Yeah, it ain't perfect, but to see the hunting of Kodiak Brown Bears being accepted in a mainstream media outlet is good regardless of the nits we might pick regarding it's composition.

Hats off to the History channel for the "Mountain Men" program as well for presenting hunting and trapping in a good light that allows urbanites a positive view into our lives as outdoorsmen.

Both shows get criticized by many of us (myself included), but as a whole, I think both are pretty well accepted by the general public and that is good for all of us.

And Amazing America with Sarah Palin has been picked up for the second season on the Sportsman's Channel.

7/7/2014 by Marisa Guthrie, The Hollywood Reporter:Sportsman Channel has picked up a second season of Amazing America with Sarah Palin, the network will announce Monday.
Palin's program, which has her introducing viewers to the great outdoors as well as the country's unsung heroes, has brought significant attention to the niche cable channel propelling Sportsman to triple-digit year-over-year growth in households and key male demographics.
And network executives are counting on Palin to be their linchpin in an ongoing effort to launch more original programming.

�Sportsman Channel has experienced tremendous growth this year and Sarah Palin�s involvement has proved to be a tremendous boon for our network and programming initiatives," noted Marc Fein, executive vp of programming and production.

Those new programs have included America Unplugged, about people living off the grid, and Saving Private K-9, which is hosted by Full Metal Jacket's R. Lee Ermey and spotlights military and law enforcement dogs

And last week, Sportsman Channel, which is in a little over 36 million homes, announced a new program hosted by Penn Jillette. Premiering July 17, Camp Stew is a Talk Soup-like clip show that will have the illusionist commenting on outdoor bloopers and caught-on-camera mishaps.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Salmonella

This ^^^^^^^^

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I agree, its better than some jack ass running around with a 700 GRIZZ TERMINATOR Rifle wounding bears and bragging about
how gods gift to hunting. JMHO.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Y'all do have some excellent points there...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

I only watched one episode of 'The Hunt' so I don't have a real opinion on it yet.
But, I disagree with 'Mounain Men' presenting hunting in a positive light.

That idiot that runs hounds to track mountain lions has never killed one to my knowledge.
And, that's all fine and dandy if that's what you want to do, but...

He's claimed (many many times), that he just "runs 'em off", or "runs 'em out of the country",
doing a service to cattle ranchers. Which,...as we all know, is absurd.

He even harassed another hunter and then made the claim that "these guys are gonna kill 'em all off until there aren't any to hunt".
To me,...that plays right into the anti's hands.
Portraying REAL hunters as guys who just want to 'kill 'em all", and why do that if you can just "run off" troublesome predators?
There is no way anybody is paying this clown to "run off" mountain lions!!

It's one of those shows that I really wanted to like. And, I'll suffer it if there isn't something better on just for the scenery and subject matter, but...
I lost all 'faith' in the show when the same clown's dog was "injured" by a cat that bailed out of the tree.
It was a completely contrived ordeal. He packs off the dog in a mad fit scared for it's life, telling the camera crew, "Get outta the way! I gotta go!!"
Rushes it to the vet where he's basically told there's nothing wrong with the dog.
Give me a break!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DD, if you search the archives, you will see where I made the exact same post that you did.

The other night I got to thinking though, that maybe not showing lions being blasted out of a tree is a good thing for us.

Every state that has voted to ban hound hunting has run TV commercials showing "beautiful animals" being treed and then shot from that tree and then the subsequent dog mauling that takes place, the average Joe just don't have the stomach for it..

I'll guarantee we ain't going to win over the public with those images being broadcast.

Proud NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I agree with that premise too.
I've always said, it's the folks in the middle we have to convince. You're probably never going to reason or "convert" a true anti. It's the people who really don't have a formed opinion that we have to sway to our side.
And, you're right,...it isn't going to happen with piles of carcasses, or exploding prairie dogs, or hounds stretching a critter.
The "average Joe" or soccer mom is most likely going to find this repulsive...
But,...lies and BS ain't the way to go either.
How about truth without the gore? Seems reasonable to me...

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
So true, I am a fair chase only proponent, don't mind saying
I understand the argument for baiting in some areas that is just to thick are hard to hunt therefor numbers do not get controlled as they should, however this should not be seen on TV shooting black bears or deer over corn and touting yourself
a sportsman is BULL SH**. Mostly our honorable way of life has turned into entertainment so they can sale camo and gadgets to couch trackers. JMHO

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
People have been shooting stuff over bait since they figured out that animals would come to it.

Hunting ethics are subjective at best...

Is using a high powered rifle sportsmanlike?

How about a scope on your rifle?

How close, or far does the game have to be to be "ethical"?

One thing all the above share: They are ALL considered unethical by anti-hunters.

Divided we fall.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I understand the bait, but if you read what was stated it doesn't always need to be shown on TV, We used spears and hunted in packs at some point too how do you think 12 rednecks
with spears would be looked upon spearing a small black bear
by the antis. Just more Ammo for them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
???? and the same guys bitch when a hunting show pops up where NOBODY ever misses or goes home skunked. THE HUNT is not jerking ANYBODY around. They HUNT and either get game or not. It ain't tree stands over bait piles or feeders.

I've been watching it and it seems OK to me. Last night some hunter shot twice at a bear 200 yards away from a rest. Missed both times. He and his dad both quit the hunt 3 days early because they weren't in good enough shape to continue.

The cute chick with the ML killed her bear in the water. Next scene shows the bear on dry land in one piece. She was hunting alone too. smirk

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 22250rem, 31 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,981
Posts18,499,680
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.