Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9007749 07/08/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After a hail storm, I'm in need of siding. What's the latest wonder product? I know the various fiber cement sidings are quite durable but the thought of having to paint in 10+ years, and likely more frequently after that, is not all that appealing. But fading vinyl that doesn't hold up to impacts isn't all that great either. Has the perfect siding been created yet?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
stay away from Gentek products.........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not cheap but some types of Hardie Plank come in permanent colors.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tyvek is quite durable. Alaskans can' t be wrong.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's not cheap but some types of Hardie Plank come in permanent colors.

Hardie plank can swell and sag around the snowline, no one is using it around here anymore.

I have ceder, I think it's still about the longest lasting product.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kroo88

Well, yeah we can be. Tyvek may be okay further north where it's mostly dry with low humidity. But out here along the coastal areas, your house will rot, mold and mildew from the inside out.

We use felt paper before putting on the siding because it tends to breath a little and not trap moisture.

I'm a big fan of Hardie board. It won't rot or burn and with a metal roof and proper vent screening you're good to go in wildland fire areas.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make steel siding and I figure, but not positive, that it is better than vinyl or aluminum.

I imagine it cost an 'arm and a leg'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
They make steel siding and I figure, but not positive, that it is better than vinyl or aluminum.

I imagine it cost an 'arm and a leg'.

I'm not sure, but I don't think they make it any more. US Steel had 'Allside' for a brand name. I helped my brother install it one summer in KC. IIRC, he said the prices were about the same as vinyl or aluminum, but it was a much better product, according to him. Weight was about the same as vinyl, and it withstood hail damage a heckuva lot better than the other two materials. Hail damage is a big thing there in KC, they're always getting some poor weather of one sort or another.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
After a hail storm, I'm in need of siding. What's the latest wonder product? I know the various fiber cement sidings are quite durable but the thought of having to paint in 10+ years, and likely more frequently after that, is not all that appealing. But fading vinyl that doesn't hold up to impacts isn't all that great either. Has the perfect siding been created yet?

In reality, cedar shake siding is awful hard to match for durability and minimal care. It will gray up but stay the same for decades. A good check-up once a decade is all you need.

Paint the back side with log oil and spray a light coat on the front any time the notion moves you.

Board siding would follow for durability.

Stepping up to old growth cypress would equal for-ever siding...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 on the cypress if you can get it. We have plenty here(when they can get it out). Old growth is getting harder to come by, but new growth (aka white cypress)is fine if you are going to paint. Use an oil based primer and it will last like old growth.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Well, yeah we can be. Tyvek may be okay further north where it's mostly dry with low humidity. But out here along the coastal areas, your house will rot, mold and mildew from the inside out.

We use felt paper before putting on the siding because it tends to breath a little and not trap moisture.

I'm a big fan of Hardie board. It won't rot or burn and with a metal roof and proper vent screening you're good to go in wildland fire areas.

I think it was a joke in terms of Alaskan houses that have no siding.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
AK ain't the only place where tyvek rules. Cedar shingles can be installed to provide a more water/wind proof/tighter seal around windows and doors than any other siding material. I've read that some folks soak the shingles in anti-freeze to stabilize and preserve them. Back-priming, as noted above, is also a great idea.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It was mostly tongue-in-cheek. If you side your cabin, you cross over into the realm of commitent. It also leaves the cabin ready for the next add-on.

I'm a carpenter by trade and have installed my share of siding-from Colorlock to Cedar to
Hardiplank to T&G pine to T111. But I have to admit Tyvek is what I see when I come down the driveway.
Just got back from Mt and a remodel that included
residing with Smartside which is basically pre-finished OSB. Wouldn't recommend it for Ak
climate but it should last in the dry Mt air.

OP, where in Mt did you get hailed out?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Billings

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn

You obviously don't know chit about Tyvec.
It's claim to fame and one of the reasons it was created is that it breathes, and it does.
Baricade's better but any house wrap's better than roofing felt.

Besides,,,, I'm pretty sure that was joke.
Around here they call OSB and/or Tyvec "Alaska Siding".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Around here they call OSB and/or Tyvec "Alaska Siding".

So true! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.