Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
anyone have one of these? ive seen a couple recently here and there that sold for decent prices. am thinking of getting one next time i see a used one pop up. good eye relief and glass? or would i be just as good buying a 3-9x42 meopta?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not that impressed by their eye relief, and I find their optics overrated by their fans. They are a bit heavy for their size as well.

Expect the euro homers to be along soon to disagree. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have one that was on a used rifle I bought. Sold the rifle, kept the scope. It is comparable to the now discontinued 3-9X40 Conquest. The eye relief is a little shorter, as is the scope.
Weight is about the same too. I can't tell that the 36mm objective gives up anything to the 40mm lense on the Conquest. It works well in low light.

If you like the Conquest, can live with a little less eye relief and if the price is right you'll like it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
shouldnt the diavari glass be a little better than the conquest?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by killindeer

Not sure how different the glass is but I have a 3X9X36 Diavari MC made in USA. It was the predecessor to the Conquest. There is also a 3X9X36 Diavari made in Germany. I have no idea how much difference there is between them except that the German model is a shorter tube and sometimes difficult even on a short action.

Mine is a good scope that I paid $350 for. I like smaller lighter scopes in general, so I'll keep it, but I would not pay $500 for one.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/08/14.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm not that impressed by their eye relief, and I find their optics overrated by their fans. They are a bit heavy for their size as well.

Expect the euro homers to be along soon to disagree. grin

The early "West German" Diavaris were not heavy, they are quite short and optically superior to most scopes at the time and still optically superior to most scopes today. At that time lead was still being used in the lenses and you can't argue the quality even though the early Diavari scopes are now 30 years old...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
yea im not referring to the MC one. the one i saw didnt say MC or T. but it said made in germany. then i saw another that said T and also made in germany.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can't go wrong on any German Zeiss under $500.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The early "West German" Diavaris were not heavy, they are quite short and optically superior to most scopes at the time and still optically superior to most scopes today. At that time lead was still being used in the lenses and you can't argue the quality even though the early Diavari scopes are now 30 years old...

I had a 4x version of the same scope and agree they were and are still optically and mechanically superior to most scopes today. They're way better than a Conquest as regards quality. Made in Germany with a 1" tube for the U.S. market. They're also not very heavy.

The main tube with turret housings was machined out of one piece Duralumin. The scopes themselves went through extensive quality control tests. Each scope was given 1,000 shocks simulating twice the recoil level of a .458 Win Mag. Each reticle adjustment was wound to it's extremities 100 times and then tested to see if the P.O.I. had changed. If it had changed the scope didn't pass. Each scope was placed in a vacuum chamber and subjected to a heavy shower of water for 24 hours. A large part of the cost was in the QC. They're superb scopes with good light gathering ability.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The latest of the Diavaris were made in America, the earliest in "West Germany" and anything after 1990 was made in "Germany". The earliest were with the older leaded glass before the environmental changes with leaded glass. These scopes are very clear and bright, easily ahead of their time in the optical department.

T* and T*P were later changes in the coatings of the lenses, some say that the T*P were best, but the early West German are damn good. Eye relief is short with them but not critical. The compactness of the scope is remarkable and the 36mm will easil out-perform many of 42mm and larger objectives.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
man. i shoulda jumped on it. hopefully another will show up

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I could only predict the stock market as well. grin

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The latest of the Diavaris were made in America, the earliest in "West Germany" and anything after 1990 was made in "Germany". The earliest were with the older leaded glass before the environmental changes with leaded glass. These scopes are very clear and bright, easily ahead of their time in the optical department.

T* and T*P were later changes in the coatings of the lenses, some say that the T*P were best, but the early West German are damn good. Eye relief is short with them but not critical. The compactness of the scope is remarkable and the 36mm will easil out-perform many of 42mm and larger objectives.

I bought mine new in 1989 and it has "Made in West Germany" on it. It's had a hard life but still optically and mechanically perfect. I've shot coal black boars on moonless nights with it. It never let me down in many hundreds of hours of hunting in sometimes very rugged terrain and weather conditions.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by killindeer

My Davari is probably 20 years old. Comparing it to a 4-5 year old Conquest it is about the same to my eye. If the 2 scopes were from about the same era, then the Davari should be better.

Went back and read the entire thread and learned a few things I didn't know. Mine is West German made, so older than I thought.

Last edited by JMR40; 07/09/14.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both, I'd pick the Meopta.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's an American made Diavari 3-9x36.

[Linked Image]

Here's a Diatal C 10x36, W. German and I have a German Diatal C 4x32.

[Linked Image]

IMO, they'll hang in there with the Conquest.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Here's a Diatal C 10x36, W. German and I have a German Diatal C 4x32.

[Linked Image]

IMO, they'll hang in there with the Conquest.

DF

Farmer, that is one of only a very few scopes I covert.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You see them occasionally on the used market, sometimes on Ebay.

It is one fine glass, for sure. I like the way it looks on this classic 722 in older Redfield rings/bases. I skip line checkered that gun 50 yrs. ago as a teenager when that style checkering was in fashion. It has a 14 twist Hart in .22-204 and sizzles light weight bullets into little bitty groups...

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like that they are good quality , light weight compact scopes. That's something we seem to have very little of these days.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I personally found them to be over rated as I found the eye relief and eye box to be lacking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.