Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9015906 07/11/14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
At about 45yrs old I started to notice the degrading of my crisp vision. First thing I did was buy some good Binoculars to regain the clear view of my youth. Worked great, until 50yrs old. Then the next wall was hit. A higher quality scope was needed to get back that crisp view of the game or targets. At 55yrs the next wall was hit. I needed glasses to get enough clarity of vision to see what I needed to look at with the Binoculars. This is creating a conflict, Glasses on to get a good view while hunting, see something, glasses off, binoculars up to see the games detail. PITA to put it bluntly. You young guys with great vision, Get ready! The changes to your eyes are coming. You hunters who have been dealing with the glasses issue for years must have learned a few tricks. Can you give us newly disadvantaged some advise, On how to Regain some field hunting pleasure. Is a binocular out there that works better with glasses on? Is one scope better than others with glasses on? Or is the best process, Glasses on to see the overall terrain detail, glasses off for binoculars and scope use?

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
baltz526,

I put my glasses on in the morning and take them off before I go to bed. I use binoculars with about 17mm of eye relief. use scopes from Tasco to Swarovski. When you get the scope you set the A.O., or side focus, on infinite and the magnification on its highest setting. Aim at the sky, or other plain back ground, and adjust the crosshair till it is as sharp as you can get it. Lock it down. You are ready to go!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glasses on to see the overall terrain detail, glasses off for binoculars and scope use?

I wore glasses all the time from the 5th grade until I had cataract surgery a few years ago. I never had any trouble with scopes until I got bifocals and then I got a pair of glasses with one glass for hunting and watching TV. If I had to work on something, I had to change glasses. I would remove them for Binoculars and wore them on a chain while hunting, so I could just let them go while looking through the binoculars. This arrangement did not work well for open sights. When I got the cataract surgery, I had lens implants where I could see way off but have to wear glasses for working on something or reading. It really works out well for hunting. Before the cataract surgery I noticed that a 50mm scope really helped me in low light conditions. Not so much since the surgery. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have worn glasses since I was 4. You need binoculars with long eye relief. Even at that, many do not give you a full FOV. If I am looking at something specific I leave the glasses on but if glassing for game and max FOV, I take them off.
Scopes have never been a problem. Set them for glasses and forget except you may need to re-focus them as your eyes change..

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact lenses here since 1985

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For one thing, in the context of thousands spent on bino's, scopes, glasses, etc., see if you are a candidate for LASIK surgery which may solve most of your problems. Notice I said, "see if you are a candidate,"; do this by going to your optometrist or MD eye doc.

LASIK surgery is like eye glasses in that it is covered to a degree by many health insurance plans and in the context of the above gear, as mentioned, and considering the importance of SEEING is not that expensive even if you have to foot the bill yourself. The global fee (including all follow-up care for awhile) is generally in the neighborhood of 3k for both eyes.

"Eyeball" here can probably give you more information.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Long Eye relief lets to much side light in, causing more eye strain. I think I'll prefer glasses off to this. Scope focus has not been an issue yet. I need to do more range practice with Glasses on. To get a better feel for that aspect. My Field Glasses are High quality insert in a lens change frame. I can use Clear-Yellow-Smoke-dark. All are UV and ballistic protection. I'll get used to all day wear eventually.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact lenses

The absolute least expensive way to correct simple near sight with 100% field of view

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Contact lenses are not and option i'll use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried contacts about thirty-five years ago and again a couple years ago. They just can't compete with glasses for the ability for me to see detail.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can imagine what My eyes would be like with Contacts after 4-5 days hunting the Alkali at Summer lake in October. I have had guys Quit after a few hours wearing contacts on Windy days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are wearing the wrong contacts then

I'm a 27 year machinist and metal fabricator and work in a very harsh and dirty environment

I wear mine for 30 days and 30 nights 20/20 with zero issues

Glad glasses are my backup because when I do wear them I'm reminded of their shortcomings

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am farsighted with high + magnification and astigmatism to boot.At 58,I'm liking higher power scopes,usually 12-16 power on the top end.I just see so much better with them and can shoot quite well too.I have a pair of Nikon Action Series binos that are 16 x 50.Those things are great and will focus even as close as twenty yards.If your binos have the extended eye cups,just fold them flat and you can see real well with glasses.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just be glad we have optical sights. I have rifles with peep sights and took one out the other day. With my glasses on I can't see the front sight and if I put non-prescription glasses on I can see the front sight but not the target.
This old age stuff aint for sissies! mad

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I'm a 27 year machinist and metal fabricator and work in a very harsh and dirty environment

Glad glasses are my backup because when I do wear them I'm reminded of their shortcomings
Funny thing is my Optometrist who I trust, suggested Contacts where not a good idea for me.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I had LASIK surgery on my right eye for severe astigmatism. It was painless and the result amazing. It's something I should have done years ago.

From blurred vision to 20/20 vision in less than a week.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baltz526
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Funny thing is my Optometrist who I trust, suggested Contacts where not a good idea for me.

He said why? Nevermind........good luck........glasses would handicap me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glasses and binocs work well together. One example is the Swaro 15s. Personally, I wear glasses for the best far vision, but no glasses with binos. Maybe I should try wearing them with binos and scopes to see if glasses make me shoot better with a scope.

Glasses and binocs can certainly be done without much hassle.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I became a bit near sighted at 23 and started wearing glasses then. As the decades wore on I had the glasses changed many times. Now I have tri-focals but don't really use the bifocal part unless I need to take out a splinter. Using the computer, reading, etc I take them off. Shooting and driving I have to have them on for 50 yards and beyond. Never had a problem with scopes or binoculars with the glasses on.

Last edited by Kitch; 07/14/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
OP

You're old. Keep glasses on or contacts in. You've gotten lots of correct advice. (I've had lenses since 3rd grade.) Spend money on optics to make up the difference.

Barry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, 8 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.