-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And then there is the SMG. WWII really brought that to light. It's about the number of rounds ...

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
1) 45 or 9, neither of them are worth a poop for penetrating barriers, but that's not what a pistol is used for
9mm NATO typically has better barrier penetration than the 5.56 inside of 100 yards. It will also out-penetrate most .44 mag loads on barrier penetration. It's a seriously punchy little cartridge.

I am calling BS! I have shot a 44 mag and 9mm through enough cars doors to know it will not out penetrate a properly loaded 44 mag. A properly loaded 45 ACP in +P form will penetrate as good and sometimes better than 9mm on car doors.
+1. No way a 9mm is out penetrating the 44 on anything given the proper bullet. Would love to see the link please.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The higher the velocity the better a bullet penetrates steel no matter the construction. Use a proper constructed bullet and penetration increases again in steel. I know this from much experience shooting steel. The 44 mag has more speed than a 9mm and more momentum as well. Use a properly constructed bullet in the 44 mag and it will shooting through any part of a car or truck door, not so with the 9mm.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1) 45 or 9, neither of them are worth a poop for penetrating barriers, but that's not what a pistol is used for
9mm NATO typically has better barrier penetration than the 5.56 inside of 100 yards. It will also out-penetrate most .44 mag loads on barrier penetration. It's a seriously punchy little cartridge.

I am calling BS! I have shot a 44 mag and 9mm through enough cars doors to know it will not out penetrate a properly loaded 44 mag. A properly loaded 45 ACP in +P form will penetrate as good and sometimes better than 9mm on car doors.

...in my experience, i agree with this.

while the "tiny 9" is a fabulous round--and i've fired them completely through railroad ties--they can't hold a candle to properly loaded .44's and their ability to penetrate.

i've fired 290 gr hardcast pills completely through 14 inch diameter logs, and on through a jug of water behind that, and it continued on to plow into the earth, for an awesome display of penetration and power...

regarding the potential for penetration on car doors--i'll prefer the heavy .45 auto pills with appropriate construction (rather than the 9 mm)...

Last edited by Hi_Vel; 07/12/14. Reason: rather than the 9 mm

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just because one has 15-20 rds on tap doesn't mean they are better served than having 8-10.

Sure it does. If there are 11 bad guys, 15-20 would be better. Or 6 bad guys you had to shoot twice. Or 4 bad guys that were moving and hard to hit. Or 3 bad guys wearing soft armor. Or 2 bad guys who needed suppressive fire.

More bullets and less reloading is always good. If somebody's of the mindset to "spray and pray" with 15 rounds, they're the same guy who's gonna spray and pray with 8 rounds. That's a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Oh I don't know. 8 to 10 rounds with a 4 in front of it beats just about any 15 to 20 rounds with a 3 in front of it.

Just saying.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, at the end of the day its the need of how quickly you can drop someone at rock throwing distance before you're dead or hit.

The rest are all wants.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by derby_dude
That's what baffles this old guy. The Army knows it's tough to train personal to be proficient with a handgun. Hence, the reason for building and issuing the M-1 carbine for many troops that would normally have been issued a 1911. Also the reason for issuing a bayonet with the battle rifle to infantry. Troops can be trained to use a battle rifle and bayonet and gain a reasonable level of proficiency with minimal time.

So what's the logic behind issuing everyone a handgun?

There isn't... But I'd prefer to carry an M1 or M4 carbine over either a 45 or a 9mm

Last edited by idahoguy101; 07/12/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

...in my experience, i agree with this.

while the "tiny 9" is a fabulous round--and i've fired them completely through railroad ties--they can't hold a candle to properly loaded .44's and their ability to penetrate.

i've fired 290 gr hardcast pills completely through 14 inch diameter logs, and on through a jug of water behind that, and it continued on to plow into the earth, for an awesome display of penetration and power...

regarding the potential for penetration on car doors--i'll prefer the heavy .45 auto pills with appropriate construction (rather than the 9 mm)...

If one takes the 45 loaded with 230 grain RJM at the original velocity of about 850 fps plus or minus and shoot a 55 gallon steel drum the bullet will penetrate the on side and dent the offside and stay inside the drum. A 9 mm with RJM will exit the drum. But increase the 45 ACP velocity to 1000 fps as much as the +P loads produce and the 45 ACP exits both sides of the drum.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@jwp475, can a 1911 take feeding those 45acp +p loads consistently?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by leomort
@jwp475, can a 1911 take feeding those 45acp +p loads consistently?

Not sure what you mean by consistently, I shoot them or 45 Suppers exclusively. The key to a 1911 lasting with the heavier loads is that it is properly fitted all of them are not. I send mine the JRH Advanced Gun smithing if I have any concerns and never look back.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jwp475, I thought most +p loads, (9mm, 45acp) are harder on the handgun? Thought awhile back when I was looking at 9mm handguns some brands recommended NOT shooting +p loads. But it's been awhile since I've looked.

By consistently, I mean shooting the +p loads all the time, foregoing shooting regular/standard pressure loads. The 45acp seems kind of slow, so why not shoot the 45acp all the time?

Only drawback would be changing the soft shooting 1911 to something a little more snappier in recoil.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

As I posted I shoot nothing but +Ps or Supers in mine. I like the performance and feel better armed witH them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
That's what baffles this old guy. The Army knows it's tough to train personal to be proficient with a handgun. Hence, the reason for building and issuing the M-1 carbine for many troops that would normally have been issued a 1911. Also the reason for issuing a bayonet with the battle rifle to infantry. Troops can be trained to use a battle rifle and bayonet and gain a reasonable level of proficiency with minimal time.

So what's the logic behind issuing everyone a handgun?

There isn't... But I'd prefer to carry an M1 or M4 carbine over either a 45 or a 9mm

Jesus

[bleep]'

Christ

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh I don't know. 8 to 10 rounds with a 4 in front of it beats just about any 15 to 20 rounds with a 3 in front of it.

Just saying.

You're a [bleep]' idiot.

"Just sayin'."

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

If I couldn't shoot, I'd definitely carry a shotgun.

Travis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm betting they end up with something along the lines of the hk mp7. Low recoil, penetrates body armor, light weight gun and ammo, easy to shoot. I doubt its a good idea, but I'll bet that's where they end up. Maybe Hi-Point could tool up to submit a gun. LOL

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'm betting they end up with something along the lines of the hk mp7. Low recoil, penetrates body armor, light weight gun and ammo, easy to shoot. I doubt its a good idea, but I'll bet that's where they end up. Maybe Hi-Point could tool up to submit a gun. LOL

You are probably right but that would be a stop gap measure. What's going to be needed is a shoulder fired rocket with probably a shaped charge that will penetrate body armor and blow the occupant in the body armor to kingdom come and back.

I'm thinking of medieval times when we went from chain mail only to chain mail and plate armor to firearms and gunpowder and someone said ah screw the armor.

I suppose there is this possibility as well. In the not to distant future we will have perfected hand held lasers to such a extent that we will just vaporize an opponent and than body armor won't matter at all.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave
All I know is that when I use the FN 5.7 on Call of Duty I am totally unstoppable.

Travis

Me too, except I keep blinding myself with my own flashbangs.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You want a real penitrator try the 7.62x25 it got the job done

in WW2 and works good against light steel and thick back packs

Course it dosn't have lots of expanding power as it was used as

such. With a hollow point bullet it might be the cats meoww.

Bob

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.