Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My surgery was in July 2009 to repair one fully separated tendon.

I was able to throw the sling away about ten days after surgery, Dr. said the only reason for the sling at that point was to prevent accidentally repeating the injury. Intense pain would prevent me from purposely doing anything which could hurt it.

I hate narcotics and refuse to use them, but I made an exception after this surgery. I took Percocet for a couple days.

PT is painful, but absolutely necessary. It took fourteen weeks before I could toss fifty pound packages around again. But at that point I was doing so continuously for an hour at a time, a couple times per day.

I got real brave and started shooting the 260 and the 22-250 in October with no ill effect. But I waited for one year post op before trying the 7mm STW with max 160 gr loads.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by bucktales
After surgery and therapy, my new best friend was the "Iceman" machine.
It was the cat's azz and greatly helped.

YES!! Talk to your surgeon before surgery and ask if they're going to send you home with one of these. From what I understand, some insurance companies won't cover it.
If yours won't, I highly reccomended you buy one before surgery so it's there when you get home. (For searching purposes, it's called a "Donjoy Iceman".

I'm 6 weeks out of a labrum surgery, which is similar, and my iceman is doing it's thing as I type this.
My surgery was on my off shoulder, but if it wasn't, I highly doubt I'd be able to handle any recoil in 6 weeks.
Again, my surgery was a little different, and maybe a little more involved, but I think the recoveries are real similar.
6 weeks later, I'm still dealing with a LOT of pain. Like, some days, the first words that pass my lips in the morning are,...not pleasant.
Sleeping sucks...
I'm not a very good sleeper anyway. I fight insomnia when I'm healthy so this has only compounded it. If you're a pretty good sleeper, and/or don't have a problem with sleeping on your back, you'll probably be ok.
I'm a side sleeper and that's been impossible so I've spent most of my time in a recliner.
(So much so, that this recliner is now wore out and I'll be replacing it soon!)

I'm not trying to scare you, or even complain about my situation. Just letting you know how this has gone for me so maybe it'll help you prepare.

Something else that might help...
I've found sleeveless shirts (especially the first couple weeks) a must.
If you don't have any, get out the scissors and make some.

Have some bandanas or handkerchiefs handy at home after surgery.
I use a bandana inside my sling, with my arm cradled in it. The slings are thick BLACK nylon, and they're very HOT! 10 minutes in the sun and your whole arm will be sweaty in that thing. At least with the bandana, you'll sweat into that and you can change it.
Besides, the cotton is more comfortable than the nylon.

Something else to consider,...your arm pit is stuck "closed" during sling time.
Baby powder helps a lot. They shaved my pit too, so the baby powder and another bandana or handkerchief folded under the pit helps keep it dry.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery and I hope some of these tips help you.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by victoro
"If you don't have them repaired in 6 months or less, they can't be fixed."

Doctors aren't always right. The partially detached tendon in my left shoulder was reattached over 3 years after I tore it. It's been about 5 years since I had the surgery.

Partially detached and torn tendon are two different thing. BTW, not only one doctor, but three different ones told me the same thing. I think that is more credible than what one finds on the internet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by inland44
Go in for an MRI next week to confirm the partial tear with surgery to follow shortly. I would like to hear from others who have had this done. I was told to expect 6-8 weeks in a sling, followed by physical therapy. Ill be out of the sling about 6 weeks before deer season and wondering if I can expect to be able to deal with the recoil of a .300WSM or .30-06 or if I should plan to use the .243? Thanks for any input...

Sight in the .243 before surgery!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had what can only be described as a vigorous exercise program. Tore both mine at the same time. My left had to be reattached, the right healed itself. Except for figuring out what exercises they wanted, PT was a waste of time. You can pretty much do it at home on your own. I was told if I went back to my regular workouts I'd be back and maybe they can't fix me next time. I still train but training to be second best doesn't provide much desire. It pretty much ruined my lifestyle.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I had what can only be described as a vigorous exercise program. Tore both mine at the same time. My left had to be reattached, the right healed itself. Except for figuring out what exercises they wanted, PT was a waste of time. You can pretty much do it at home on your own. I was told if I went back to my regular workouts I'd be back and maybe they can't fix me next time. I still train but training to be second best doesn't provide much desire. It pretty much ruined my lifestyle.

Do your workouts involve a lot of heavy benchpress work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM me if anyone needs an Iceman machine! I have one that was used a couple of times and should work great. I need to make sure I have the plug for it, but have everything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Yes. I had my own work out, and at the time I was still coaching so I'd work out with the kids too. Doesn't sound like much but my 215 & HW were both Benching well over 300. I also did a lot of chin ups, dips, and swimming. I just over did it not accepting I am old.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had my shoulder rebuild surgery two days before Thanksgiving in 2013

Torn labrum........5 holes in my shoulder and 7 biodegradable staples to ancore the tear

I was in PT in 10 days after surgery and then 2X a week for 12 weeks

Will you be ready? I can laugh now but it's really not funny

You have no idea till it's you how weak and usless your arm will be after day 1

But in about 6 weeks you can be 50% or so

Good luck and let me make 2 recommendations

Several large bags of frozen peas or just ice........it works for pain and to speed recovery

#2.......A very very very comfortable reclining chair.......you wont find comfort in bed for a long long time

Good luck one last time

Im sooooo glad I had mine fixed

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Again thank you all for telling me about your experiences. We have already been shopping for the BEST recliner and have done fall chit around the property already. 30Gibbs... the .243 is an H&R heavy barrel single shot and shoots gnats asses right now so if the the doc gives the ok I dont feel at a disadvantage.

Worst case I focus hard on scouting and calling and plan for spring turkey.

Again thanks for all of the input from you guys, got a feeling I may lurking here more over the next few months.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
pain full,ice packs are your friend. Try and wipe your butt with your other hand, recliner and drugs as the doctor prescribes. Push your physical therapy to get range of motion and last but not least only expect at best 80% of what you used to be able to do

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In 2006, I fell through a roof hatch and tore up both shoulders. The left one came around with PT, the right one didn't and needed surgery. That was one month before deer season. I used my Redhawk in my left hand that year but at least I was out hunting. The doc's biggest concern was that I would fall and try to catch myself with the recently repaired shoulder. So I made sure I wore my sling and swath so I couldn't move the arm away from my body. That also kept the missus happy.

Fast forward to 2 weeks before deer season in November 2013. I grabbed a 70lb bag of ear corn and something went 'pop' in the left shoulder. I knew PT wasn't going to cut it this time so I got past deer season and had surgery on Dec. 20. The surgeon said there was plenty of old damage too, he fixed it while he was doing the new damage. He essentially did to cuff repairs, using 2 anchors and leaving me with 6 or 7 holes in my shoulder. 6 weeks or so with the sling and then PT. I have good complete motion but still some strength issues. I've been slacking off on the weight work, that's probably why.

Some notes based on my experiences: Pain pills are good, do not be afraid to take them. Ice is good. Doctors vary in what they want for time in a sling and the PT regimen. Follow their directions.

You may not have the strength to handle a rifle after surgery, you WILL be weak. I went to the range in March this year, about 24 rounds with the Single Six in a 2 hand hold was all my shoulder would give me before it started to hurt.

Be very careful of falling while in the woods, you don't want to to rip out the doc's handiwork and go back to starting over.

I can't speak to recoil on the shoulder, I haven't had to try shooting from a recently repaired one.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I decided that this would be as good of a first post as any.

I had surgery on my shoulder almost exactly one year ago. It was a big relief in the end, as I had gotten to the point where I could not sleep at night due to the pain.

Long story short, I followed the doctor's advice and progressed as quickly as expected. The shoulder is doing well and there is virtually nothing that I cannot do. Recoil does not seem to be an issue, but at the range, I use a lead sled. If I push it hard, it will hurt a bit at times, but no big deal. The flexibility seems to be good, also.

The main thing is to do what the doctor says. Don't try to accelerate the recovery, as it just takes time to heal-period. This did make me understand one thing- I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN, so I am going to be more careful.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Yes. I had my own work out, and at the time I was still coaching so I'd work out with the kids too. Doesn't sound like much but my 215 & HW were both Benching well over 300. I also did a lot of chin ups, dips, and swimming. I just over did it not accepting I am old.

Heavy benchpresses may have helped injure your shoulder(s). Doing them in a less than ideal manner can also contribute to that. Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength, is pretty much the weight-lifter's bible. He WAS a high-level powerlifting competitor and knows and teaches the benchpress. He also states that everybody who isn't a competitive powerlifter should do three sets of overhead presses for every one set on the bench. Too much bench over-develops muscles on the front of the body and places undue strain on the shoulders. Deadlifts, and the scapular retraction at the top of the lift, helps develop the traps and upper back and generally strengthens the shoulder.

My shoulder would never have healed properly without doing a lot of overhead presses.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by victoro
"If you don't have them repaired in 6 months or less, they can't be fixed."

Doctors aren't always right. The partially detached tendon in my left shoulder was reattached over 3 years after I tore it. It's been about 5 years since I had the surgery.

Partially detached and torn tendon are two different thing. BTW, not only one doctor, but three different ones told me the same thing. I think that is more credible than what one finds on the internet

The orthopedic surgeon that did my surgery called my partially detached tendon a torn tendon and said that if I tore it lose before it healed he might not be able to reattach it a second time. He called what you describe a "ruptured tendon". I had a of lot scar tissue from many minor tendon ruptures that was causing an impingement. He removed the scar tissue and fixed the impingement. I didn't read about this on the internet.

Last edited by victoro; 07/14/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
inland44,

If you'll be having open rotator cuff surgery, you probably won't be hunting this year. If it's arthroscopic, maybe.

The primary criterion of rotator cuff surgery success is physician expertise. Since you're in Michigan, you might want to try Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. A good way to determine quality of surgeon is to ask as many physicians as possible who'd they go to for rotator cuff surgery.

Every patient thinks that his surgeon is the best. That's BS. The moron who did my first rotator cuff surgery should've never been licensed to cut hair let alone shoulders.

Other physicians have told me that Dr. Chris Jobe is the best in the nation. A retired physician who works out where I do told me that although he doesn't know Jobe, he is the best. You've probably heard of his dad, Dr. Frank Jobe. And this is where professional athletes go to get repaired, but I'd go to Dr. Chris Jobe. He's a surgeon's surgeon. If the surgeon you're going to use needed rotator cuff surgery, he'd probably have Dr. Chris Jobe do it. Better yet, he's a damned nice guy, he's devoutly religious, and he's a man of honor and character.

BTW, I've had many rotator cuff surgeries and have not had to take a single norco 10. After the first few I couldn't figure out which was worse, the surgery or the medicine. Naproxen is pretty darn good. And you might want to ask for a week's prescription of good sleeping medicine.

When you awake, your shoulder should be wrapped in a pad that's attached to an ice machine. Use it. When pain started elevating, I did a shot of whiskey. Norco 10 and me are a poor fit. I can't sleep on the stuff, and it gives me weird, vivid dreams. In the morning after taking it, I felt as though I had gone 15 rounds with Ali. A few ounces of whiskey and I woke up feeling fine. Norco 10 will work if pain ain't excruciating and it doesn't have adverse effects on you. I have never, ever worried about becoming addicted to it because I don't have an addictive personality and I could never take it long. After about my fourth surgery, I stopped taking it and went with whiskey.

Recovery from open rotator cuff is a year and a half. I had my left shoulder reconstructed in Nov of 12. It involved a muscle transfer from my chest. It was a lot better than shoulder replacement. I'm still recovering from it. My surgeon said that recovery from it will be two years.

I've lost probably 10 hunting seasons due to shoulder surgeries.

BTW, it ain't difficult to tear a rotator cuff muscle. Most people tear them bracing falls with outstretched hands. I ripped my left shoulder apart due to being restrained by a shoulder harness after being rear ended on a So Cal freeway. I knew a dude who fell while skiing and tore his rotator cuff.

One last thing: if its not completely torn, have it fixed before it gets that way. A partial tear might not require surgery. And if surgery is necessary, your surgeon will probably prescribe arthroscopic. If it's a full & retracted tear, your surgeon will have to open your shoulder, and you almost definitely won't be hunting this year. And you'll know what I mean within a day of surgery. Nothing will cause you to risk re-injury.

Best of luck to you,

SS

Last edited by SansSouci; 07/14/14.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 22250rem, 29 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,981
Posts18,499,675
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.