P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by CRS
Gee thanks, but I'll take Don Heath, and as far as the modern bullet v older, conventionals go, if you don't think they've stretched and improved the capabilities of ALL calibers, then you are the one that maybe needs some more experience. Even with modern bullets, a 270 on a one ton eland is questionable at fifty yards and downright stupid at 400. And regarding the taking of a lion with one, that too, is rather foolhardy.

Now if it was a Weatherby. grin

Much better choice....of course!

Heath thinks Weatherby rifles are crap...
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ofessional-hunter-proficiency-exam.2604/

Heath is right again!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting article that'll definitely ruffle some feathers.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Usually uninteresting articles don't!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dennis,

While some people might point out that lions are far more dangerous than black bears, especially when wounded, the big differences I've heard from several PH's are:

1) Lion hunters are often over-gunned, because....

2) Lions scare the schidt out of them, and....

3) Lion trophy fees are VERY expensive.

Have also heard the first two factors applied to the average Cape buffalo hunter, plus the hunter being middle-aged, tired and hot when he finally gets a shot.

I had two friends mauled by black bears in the last two season because the bears were shot with smaller calibers and didn't go down quick enough. One guy was knocked unconscious and were it not for a valiant pack of hounds he would be dead. I won't argue that lions are not more dangerous as I have never seen one outside of a theme park but folks tend to underestimate bears.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah--which is why I've always been very careful when following up a hit bear of any kind. But also haven't hunted them with dogs, which no doubt increases the adrenaline level of the bear, as well as decreasing the range of a charge.

That still doesn't mean black bears are anywhere near as dangerous as lions--or cost as much to hunt, either in stress or dollars.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no experience w/lions as a matter of fact the only one I ever touched was at the AF store in San Fran in 1966. It's head was damn near 2 feet wide and the muzzle larger than a standard mail box, I was/am impressed. I have killed probably 25 black bears most w/an HVA 243 and old style 100gr. Nosler PT's. Anybody who says it isn't enough gun for BB doesn't know how/where to place bullets. I have never felt undergunned with it. Anybody who lets themselves get close enough to a bear to be injured is an IDIOT!. Sorry I grew up on a cattle ranch with much more dangerous critters than black bears on a hour by hour basis. But I will tell you something, wild cats SCARE me, why do you think that Col. Jim Corbett shot them in the head mostly.-Muddy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dennis,

While some people might point out that lions are far more dangerous than black bears, especially when wounded, the big differences I've heard from several PH's are:

1) Lion hunters are often over-gunned, because....

2) Lions scare the schidt out of them, and....

3) Lion trophy fees are VERY expensive.

Have also heard the first two factors applied to the average Cape buffalo hunter, plus the hunter being middle-aged, tired and hot when he finally gets a shot.

I had two friends mauled by black bears in the last two season because the bears were shot with smaller calibers and didn't go down quick enough. One guy was knocked unconscious and were it not for a valiant pack of hounds he would be dead. I won't argue that lions are not more dangerous as I have never seen one outside of a theme park but folks tend to underestimate bears.

yeah but a lion is more apt to kill a person in the short time during which a mauling generally happens...one bite from a lion can put its canines into the skull or well into the thoracic cavity.....ive read a hell of alot of bear attack incidents where even large griz dont successfully do this with any regularity compared to a lion....i would fear the jaws of a lion much more than a bear with the same skull size....but then again ive read alot of official accounts of attacks by each and not had the chance to hunt either....i respect bears, even black bears....but its not the same level of respect i hold for big cats....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes he does as do most African PHs and there is/was a very valid reason for this (BTW, check the date on the article). I've spoken to him whilst at DSC a few years ago (keep in mind that article was written sometime ago). When Weatherbys first hit the scene, the bullets at the time could not stand up to the velocities they produced thus resulting in many animals being wounded due to bullet blow up.

This, coupled with the marketing ploy by Wby about using say, the 257 to kill zebras, didn't help any. Also, the first manufactured MKVs (German)had an issue with the safety, although not as infamous as the POS Remingtons. So the perception and reputation was well-established and it's been an uphill battle since. Today, with the advent of the same projectiles Don speaks of, Weatherbys are doing very well in Africa. I don't remember which author, either Seyfried or Layne Simpson wrote a good article discussing this. I can only speak for myself and my limited experience with Weatherby rifles. My 300 has acoounted for almost twenty head of AFrican game, and I did learn my lesson ..once with Hornady bullets in my 300. I like my Weatherbys, Model 70s and Browning Safari grades, based on *MY* eperiences and on the same experience, you couldn't GIVE me a Remington. While you are at it, you might want to read what he thinks about those too.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Three years ago I hunted with a Tanzanian PH who classed both Remington 700's (which Heath all but calls POS's) and CZ's (which Heath rates highly) as "cheap rifles." The PH's idea of a not-cheap rifle was the big-bore Austrian double he'd inherited from his father and still used for back-up work on dangerous game--on which he'd mounted a cheap red-dot sight.

The guy also owned a Remington 700, a 7mm Remington Magnum which he'd used to kill quite a few buffalo.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, the other common thread that continues to this day (but IS changing as the old guard retires and more gun savvy PHs come into their own) is the old adage that bigger and slower is the way to go. I do love my 450NE and it's certainly a great caliber, but that same properly constructed bullet, driven 4-500 fps faster leaves the 450 in the dust. PH Wayne Grant (Into The Thorns), carries a 460 Weatherby because he states that with it, he can anchor a wounded bull elephant past 100 yards with no problem and he's never had an issue with it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Not if he can not reliably make a 400yd shot in good conditions.

Just the way it is. shocked

So there were no riflemen before long range became all the rage?

Reach has always been "all the rage"......

To be, unequivocally, stymied by a 400yd shot is the mark of a duffer.

Long-range hunting is all the rage with some.

Up close is with others. Interestingly, for lots of people, getting close is "all the rage." It's not that they're "stymied" by a 400-yard shot, it's just that it holds no interest for them.

Strange as that may sound to you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's how I feel about it. I don't care how far somebody else shoots but a 400 yard shot doesn't interest me. Maybe because I was raised by a dedicated archer or maybe it was the .44 mag/.45-70 mentality I developed but I prefer to stalk my prey rather than reach out and touch it. I don't mind if others shoot hundreds of yards but I've never carried a LRF yet much less some gadget loaded scope. I have no idea why I didn't stay with the Guide Gun in .45-70 and be done with it.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
John, the other common thread that continues to this day (but IS changing as the old guard retires and more gun savvy PHs come into their own) is the old adage that bigger and slower is the way to go. I do love my 450NE and it's certainly a great caliber, but that same properly constructed bullet, driven 4-500 fps faster leaves the 450 in the dust. PH Wayne Grant (Into The Thorns), carries a 460 Weatherby because he states that with it, he can anchor a wounded bull elephant past 100 yards with no problem and he's never had an issue with it.

Wayne also uses it to shoot lizards that are foolish enough to venture into his tent. (He can be a lot of fun to be around.)

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I do think there is some strong regional influence on one's definition of "long range." I have hunted Africa, and could see how 200 yards could be a long poke, given the topography and vegetation. I have never hunted in PA, like moosemike has, but have been there a number of times and can easily how a 45/70 could be adequate. But where I live, being completely competent at 300-350 yards is a requirement. The photo below was taken from where my son (probably about 17 yo at the time) shot an antelope doe. He shot from sitting, over homemade shooting sticks, and made a clean one shot kill. The distance, as I recall, was about 325. He is standing way down in the photo, wearing dark pants and hunter orange, where the doe is. There is just no way to get any closer, and with a .270 Win or like cartridge, no wind, and calm animals,that is a shot any hunter should be up to.

[Linked Image]

I have great regard for Don Heath's experience. I believe his 350 limit is shaped by the landscape and cover type he works in. I am one of those getting-older, out-of-shape, over-gunned, easily-excitable clients. I probably could do like Barsness and take a 7x57 and 9.3x62, but I took a .338 and a .416 on my last trip. But hopefully I shoot enough that I could make up for my choices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Utah708,
In that country you had better be able to shoot long range. Wow! I killed four antelope in southwestern South Dakota and it was very rolling. I was able to stalk them to around 200 yards. I wouldn't be stalking anything though in that pic you show.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
I do think there is some strong regional influence on one's definition of "long range."

...where I live, being completely competent at 300-350 yards is a requirement.

(In the photo shown)... There is just no way to get any closer,...

[Linked Image]

I understand your comments. Sounds like a good hunt with your son and good shooting on his part. And 325 is not particularly long range with current technology.

However, I am always puzzled that advocates of long range say there is no way to get any closer yet bow hunters kill the same game in the same areas every season.

Reality is that it is always a choice to take a shot at any range, (and except when being attacked) never a necessity.

Dedicated long rangers set out to shoot animals at long range. They/we deliberately prepare special long range tools long before the hunt. The long range forum here would not exist otherwise.

It is a choice to shoot animals at long range.

That statement is not judgmental, merely fact. cool

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I just read the article and I considered all his advice to be directed at clients visiting Africa.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I mentioned that possibility a while back on this thread, but apparently that's too boring for those who didn't read the article. And they're usually the majority of those who post on any discussion of any magazine articles.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sonsabitches.

I'm off to the tanning bed and to send you the money I forgot to send you last week.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I just read the article and I considered all his advice to be directed at clients visiting Africa.

Travis

Never let facts intrude on emotional responses. grin

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,460
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.