Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 37 38
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This guy starts at 12 minutes, and pretty well nails it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECNYsmne5js&feature=youtu.be

LOL

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The problem is that the guy needs to research his statistics. Divorce rate is about 11% for churched folks. Much higher for unchurched folks.

The statistic that says that "christians" have a 50% divorce rate, the same as non-christians, is a lie.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Probably in line with how many Americans call themselves Christians vs. true believers. Did you listen all the way through or were you eager to get back here and criticize?

LOL
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I listened to enough of it. The guy needs to learn facts before he gets up there and preaches. 72% of people are still married to their first spouse. Attending a worship service drops your "chances" of getting divorced by 25-50%. The numbers are so fuzzy it's hard to tell though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That dude is real,,, none of that fake mess. I like him. we all have our struggles and I noticed a looong time ago that I am my own worst enemy.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fireball2,

I watched the sermon. The problem with the church is, generally, the people attending don't believe God's Word. If you would like me to document this, I will post support for this.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -
Mahatma Gandhi

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Anyone who is like Christ doesn't need Him.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's my observation that religion is a money making business, selling salvation. I seldom see church leaders living humbly and in poverty.
The major religions, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran. Methodist, etc are major tax exept corporations with the local churchs as franchises.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by arkypete
It's my observation that religion is a money making business, selling salvation. I seeldome see church leaders living humbly and in poverty.
The major religions, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran. Methodist, etc are major tax exept corporations with the local churchs as franchises.

Jim

I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately that is true in some instances but it is not in our church. Our pastor is a good man who routinely donates up to half his salary to charity and the needy. If you were closer I'd invite you to come worship with us and see what a good church experience is like. We aren't perfect but we have some good folks with their hearts in the right place.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 07/14/14.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Calvin is correct, I've known a few Christains that would never consider the sin of divorce and they stayed married. Sure some lived apart or took regular beatings from their husband, but they were good Christians that never divorced.

Hell, I knew one Christian that stayed with her husband, even though he knocked up one of their daughters.

It's good to see them staying faithful to the sanctity of marriage.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I knew another, deacon of his church, that started banging is step-daughter when she was 14. After his wife found out 5 years later she still stayed with him and he stayed with the church.

Good to see that kind of commitment in people.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've also known a few law abiding citizens that speed as well. Calling oneself a Christian does not make it so. Lots of hypocrites in every so called groups of people.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting.

An interesting take on marriage and Buddhism.

He's right that the Church to concentrate on a symptom.

He's also right about how the Church can fire up good intentions and/or guilt in people. I've been to enough Bible thumping revival meetings to see that first hand. My wife and I often wonder once the euphoria of the Bible thumping revival is over how many stay committed. Sort of like marriage once the euphoria is gone the marriage is gone.

I think the biggest problem with Christianity is it's based on a book of legends and mythologies. That's okay as long as one ignores reality but once reality kicks in the book of legends and mythologies kind of falls by the way side so doesn't just about everything else.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Calvin is correct, I've known a few Christains that would never consider the sin of divorce and they stayed married. Sure some lived apart or took regular beatings from their husband, but they were good Christians that never divorced.

Hell, I knew one Christian that stayed with her husband, even though he knocked up one of their daughters.

It's good to see them staying faithful to the sanctity of marriage.

Takes a lickin' an' keeps on tickin'. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I knew another, deacon of his church, that started banging is step-daughter when she was 14. After his wife found out 5 years later she still stayed with him and he stayed with the church.

Good to see that kind of commitment in people.

He was simply trying to avoid the possibility of the dreaded clap.

STDs are such a bummer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by arkypete
It's my observation that religion is a money making business, selling salvation. I seldom see church leaders living humbly and in poverty.

Jim

People often say that as though they are surprised, or as though it discredits those who truly do believe in Christ. But Jesus himself said, "Not everyone who says to me, �Lord, Lord,� will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 7:21).

Look closely at Jim's statement. He says, "I seldom see church leaders living humbly...." That actually confirms what Jesus said earlier in that same context, "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves" (Matthew 7:13-15).

The fact that there are false prophets is no surprise to Jesus, and it shouldn't be to us. But to us, it should motivate us to be faithful, and to be found among the "few." Jesus is either everything, or he is nothing. Take your pick as though your life depends on it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this gonna be the battle of the thumpers.

Quite a few lately.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
The fact that there are false prophets is no surprise to Jesus, and it shouldn't be to us. But to us, it should motivate us to be faithful, and to be found among the "few." Jesus is either everything, or he is nothing. Take your pick as though your life depends on it.

We actually made it more then 10 posts on a religion thread before one the thumpers rolled out the threats.

That's got to be some kind of a record.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flag waving thumpers are thin skinned.

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.