Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 38 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 37 38
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Not to say that something that we may call ''God'' does not exist, but what is the evidence that supports a justified belief in any form or version of God?

The Greeks, some sects of Muslims, Jews and Christians have all gone round and round about that for 4,000 years. Some try to prove philosophically that God exists, some try to prove it rationally but they eventually all give up and just say oh well, he exists so don't worry, be happy. Or some of them conclude that he doesn't exist, life is short, harsh and pointless so tough sh*t.

Then a few hundred years later some other folks try to do it all over again.

And so it goes...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Moslems and Hindus don't have a Salvation Army that will come along and pull a drunk out of the gutter, clean him up, regenerate his soul and set him free.

They'll set a soul free, but it comes at the end of a sword or through a car bomb.

Salvation Army only pulls drunk out of the gutter; God does the rest.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
One of the interesting and extremely compelling evidences for the veracity of the gospel is the 12 disciples lives. Take a bunch of riff raff, show them God, watch them die trying to tell everyone they know about it.

As much as I like a person, to give up my profession, preach his message, and ultimately die swearing to the truth of his message and identity?!! There must have been some VERY compelling things happening for them to make this stand. They weren't simply mocked and laughed at, like happens here if you're a christian, they were murdered, slowly and as painfully as possible.

If Jesus was a liar and a lunatic, why did they give their life for him? Would you have? Why would anyone give even a second glance or a snide comment to a fool?

LOL
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by DBT
Not to say that something that we may call ''God'' does not exist, but what is the evidence that supports a justified belief in any form or version of God?

The Greeks, some sects of Muslims, Jews and Christians have all gone round and round about that for 4,000 years. Some try to prove philosophically that God exists, some try to prove it rationally but they eventually all give up and just say oh well, he exists so don't worry, be happy. Or some of them conclude that he doesn't exist, life is short, harsh and pointless so tough sh*t.

Then a few hundred years later some other folks try to do it all over again.

And so it goes...

Right on. Tis the post-Fall situation.

It is near impossible to rationally prove God's existence, but completely impossible to prove his non-existence.

Of course that doesn't stop an awful lot of (otherwise logical) people from trying either endeavor.

It is interesting to me that nowhere in the Bible is there an instruction manual for proving God's existence.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by efw

It is interesting to me that nowhere in the Bible is there an instruction manual for proving God's existence.

Well, maybe not per se, or better yet not en masse, but the individual certainly has proof.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One of the interesting and extremely compelling evidences for the veracity of the gospel is the 12 disciples lives. Take a bunch of riff raff, show them God, watch them die trying to tell everyone they know about it.

As much as I like a person, to give up my profession, preach his message, and ultimately die swearing to the truth of his message and identity?!! There must have been some VERY compelling things happening for them to make this stand. They weren't simply mocked and laughed at, like happens here if you're a christian, they were murdered, slowly and as painfully as possible.

If Jesus was a liar and a lunatic, why did they give their life for him? Would you have? Why would anyone give even a second glance or a snide comment to a fool?

That's some of the least compelling evidence that Christ was the son of God.

Look at modern day cults, the [bleep]' whack jobs that lead them, and the born losers that follow.

Peter couldn't even fish worth a schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by efw

WTF do you not understand about rainbows?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robert_White
It is concieted hypocrisy to quote Ghandi and not want to live over there in that land literally covered in human and animal dung, without reliable clean potable water and demon idols on every corner.
laffin'

By your 'logic' it's also "conceited hypocrisy" to quote Jesus and not want to live over there in the Middle East.

still laffin'

You just hate Christians because you enjoy hating them.
laffin' some more

'Again' Robert...why don't you, IF you profess to be a 'Christian'...simply do what Jesus commanded and besides loving God with everything you have...also love others as much as you love yourself...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Bible assumes the existence of God.

Just like I don't need to prove to you that air exists even though you can't see it. Paul makes it pretty clear in Romans 1 that His existence is plenty clear to all, but the evidence is suppressed; in other places the Apostle says that natural man is blind to it. I think that is absolutely true, therefore I've never considered it worthwhile to argue the point.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

That's some of the least compelling evidence that Christ was the son of God.

Look at modern day cults, the [bleep]' whack jobs that lead them, and the born losers that follow.

Peter couldn't even fish worth a schit.

Travis

Sure, that's a knee jerk thought I can relate to.

The big problem is, when the leader of these cults dies or gets whacked, the following dies then or soon thereafter.
The gospel truly has a life of it's own, or should I say the life of God in it. Otherwise, it would have died out like the cults you mention.
You have to consider that this is still very serious business, and is ongoing, 2000 years after Jesus Christ walked the earth! What lasts 2000 years my friend?
Not even a fine Sako rifle in 221 Fireball will make it 200 years. grin At least not with it's original barrel.

I believe that the explanation for the longevity of Islam (and others as well) is that it is fueled by another supernatural being we know as the enemy of man and God.
The path leading to salvation and God is narrow, the path to destruction is wide, and many will pass through it. Sounds like it doesn't matter to Satan if you're a Hindu, a Buddhist, an atheist, or an orange peel as long as you're not a believer in Jesus Christ.

Ever wonder why rockstars sing about Satanic things? Why does everyone have a rabid hatred for Jews, God's chosen people?

Listen to the lyrics of this song by Alice in Chains and ask yourself why the need to say the "Jesus Christ, deny your maker" lyrics? Why inject those particular lyrics in a popular rock song?

It's a spiritual battle, and we are on the battlefield. The blind need sight, so ask, and it will be given to you.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Or how about the lyrics in this perennial favorite? Most people can sing the lyrics and not even be cognisant of the words they're singing, and what they're actually saying. That's the spiritual blindness that keeps men from receiving the saving message of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/15/14.

LOL
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by DBT

It's called faith and it's not easy for many to understand.

BTDT.

Faith is a belief despite very poor, or a total lack of evidence.
Once someone resorts to the faith card they are admitting there is not reasonable evidence for their position.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Faith is a belief despite very poor, or a total lack of evidence.
Once someone resorts to the faith card they are admitting there is not reasonable evidence for their position.

I rest my case, or should I say case in point?

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/15/14.

LOL
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw
Denial? That's fair; I've certainly been there. The important thing is that you're convinced in your own mind of your superiority to those who so foolishly think themselves superior to others.

Humph... "Those people"...

We are not "superior". It's just that on this one issue, the evidence is with our side, and not yours.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I think the rednecks prayer is something about , do unto others as they would do unto you, just do it unto them first.

I also think that's the banker's prayer too. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by efw

WTF do you not understand about rainbows?

Travis

I understand that rainbows are the result of light refracted through raindrops. There is not need for a god to explain this phenomenon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT

Well for a Deist the evidence is natural theology.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw
Denial? That's fair; I've certainly been there. The important thing is that you're convinced in your own mind of your superiority to those who so foolishly think themselves superior to others.

Humph... "Those people"...

We are not "superior". It's just that on this one issue, the evidence is with our side, and not yours.

I agree that you're not superior. I obviously don't agree on the evidence peace but that's fine by me. You're free to believe what you like.

All that is quite beside the point of my post though. If you follow it back you'll see that Scott was berating (stereotypical) "church people" for their self-righteous hypocrisy which IMHO is a no-brainer and cannot be denied. I was pointing to the ironic predicament such accusations make for him. As he is criticizing people for hypocrisy & self-righteousness he is being self-righteous and therefore hypocritical.

It always seems odd to me how so many who criticize "church people" for self-righteousness are so quick to lord it over them in every thread that pops up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I understand that rainbows are the result of light refracted through raindrops. There is not need for a god to explain this phenomenon.

No.

That's God reminding us that big [bleep] floods are a thing of the past.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT
I'm asking the question from the point of view of logic and philosophy. Countless versions of 'God' have been accepted/believed throughout our history, but as there is hardly one version of God that is compatible with another, they can't logically all be true.

Most, if not all,these beliefs in this god or that god must be wrong. So if a belief in the existence of God is a matter of faith, faith alone does not appear to be a reliable foundation for a justified belief. That requires verifiable evidence.

Again, this is not to say there is no God, but it raises the question: why do we believe in the existence of a God?

So the question: what is the evidence that clearly points to the existence of God?

Man seems to have an inherent desire to worship something greater than himself. By man I mean mankind. All religions or spiritual paths spring from the same source. I based this opinion on having study many different pagan religions and Christianity. All theologies have a single source. The only difference is the differences we human have attributed to them.

Page 7 of 38 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.