Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
These days you can build a .223 carbine at the same weight of a SMG and the ammo is lighter. The SMG is a very specialized weapon for very specific role.

All the huff and puff over the "PDW", the answer is staring them right in the face right now. Put a lightweight 12" barrel on an M4, a small optic and you're ready to go. You'd be best off if the weapon were semi-auto. Yeah the lightweight barrel will heat up, but let's remember, this is NOT a front line weapon, this is a weapon for support troops.

Well you just answered my question. What is needed is a M-1 carbine type weapon for support troops.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by GunGeek
These days you can build a .223 carbine at the same weight of a SMG and the ammo is lighter. The SMG is a very specialized weapon for very specific role.

All the huff and puff over the "PDW", the answer is staring them right in the face right now. Put a lightweight 12" barrel on an M4, a small optic and you're ready to go. You'd be best off if the weapon were semi-auto. Yeah the lightweight barrel will heat up, but let's remember, this is NOT a front line weapon, this is a weapon for support troops.

Well you just answered my question. What is needed is a M-1 carbine type weapon for support troops.
A PDW is a good idea, but there will always be a need for handguns. Really the M4 isn't really all that big and heavy unless you load it down with a bunch of crap. Still, some support troops would benefit from an even lighter, more compact weapon. So something like the AR pistols with the "arm brace", and an Aimpoint Micro T-2 with some simple, light back up iron sights, and maybe even a laser for low light situations (since lasers are super small and light these days). Keep it under 5lbs, and as compact as possible. Think of the AR version of the Russian Suchka (AKS-74U, aka Krink).

The M1 Carbine would still be a hell of a PDW today. For civilians who can load the Cor-Bon 100 grain JHP with the Barnes X bullet, it's VERY effective.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's no doubt that handguns are necessary especially for special operations, police, drivers, etc. I just question giving everybody one when most people can't hit the broad side of barn with a handgun standing inside the barn.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
There's no doubt that handguns are necessary especially for special operations, police, drivers, etc. I just question giving everybody one when most people can't hit the broad side of barn with a handgun standing inside the barn.
Agreed.

A handgun is the most difficult of all guns to hit with. Not only does it take good training to become proficient, but it takes regular practice to STAY proficient. If you're not going to get that, then give them a carbine...or both.

The problem support troops have with rifles, is they tend to leave them in their vehicles, or someplace close by but not ON them. So the smaller and lighter you can make them, the more apt they are to have them with. The AKS-74U is a damn good little PDW, it fits the size and weight requirements very well. But it's a very short range proposition; and that's all it needs to be.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now we are talking on the same page. That's what I liked about the M-1 carbine light and always handy. When I drove truck I had either a M-16A1 or A2 I forget which but I always left the dang thing in the truck. Same thing when I was a chaplain's assistant and I always left the dang thing in the jeep. I would have love to have had my M-1 carbine back. I never had a paratrooper model but they looked even handier.

That AKS-74U does look to be the answer.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 66 invisible), 15,833 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,200
Posts18,543,557
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.