Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

3 things killing Christianity today

Intellectualism
Feminism
Homosexuality

True, but you forgot a few. Among them, cultural accommodation.

Steve.

You can also add science.

Yep, the same science which pushes global warming.

Just because one part of science dominated by Liberal Dogmatic Theocrats is wrong, doesn't mean the whole of science is wrong.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Scott, I do not choose to believe in God. I have no choice. I asked Him to come into my heart and the Truth has set me free of the curse of the flesh and the belief of only that which I see. I can not go back to where I was, no more than you can not see that which you have seen. HE said HE does not exist for those who do not believe, so for those, they are also correct in that there is no God. Small wonder Hitler chose the path he did.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

3 things killing Christianity today

Intellectualism
Feminism
Homosexuality

Nothing is killing Christianity. Those things you listed are just making it easier to spot the frauds. "Christianity" has always been full of those who are just full of it, as it's not an exclusive club.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RJY66

I've heard it presented that the odds of one complex organism evolving by the process of natural selection as currently described by "science" as one in one billion trillion. That seems fairly unlikely to me but I is just a hick.

I have also in my life seen a lot of scientific "facts" be later exposed as BS. I have also seen brilliant people be stunningly, astoundingly wrong about real important stuff. But they have probably got this evolution thing nailed.

RJY, I'm familiar that presentation, and it's fallacys. Here's the list:

The calculation of odds assumes that the protein molecule formed by chance. However, biochemistry is not chance, making the calculated odds meaningless. Biochemistry produces complex products, and the products themselves interact in complex ways. For example, complex organic molecules are observed to form in the conditions that exist in space, and it is possible that they played a role in the formation of the first life (Spotts 2001).

The calculation of odds assumes that the protein molecule must take one certain form. However, there are innumerable possible proteins that promote biological activity. Any calculation of odds must take into account all possible molecules (not just proteins) that might function to promote life.

The calculation of odds assumes the creation of life in its present form. The first life would have been very much simpler.

The calculation of odds ignores the fact that innumerable trials would have been occurring simultaneously.

As a result the reported "odds" are invalid.

As for scientific ideas being proven false, we have a name for that. It's Progress. And who proves these ideas wrong anyway? Is it the priest, or another scientist?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
In my experience in an Assembly Of God church for 31 yrs I know of three marriages that have failed. I;m sure there are more. They have problems and start going somewhere else so noone finds out. I know of hundreds of families from 2 churches I've attended. Very few get divorced. It seems funny the people most critical of christians aren't any better themselves and don't go to church but know all about their messed up lives and never bring up all the good things some churches do.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Scott, I do not choose to believe in God. I have no choice. I asked Him to come into my heart and the Truth has set me free of the curse of the flesh and the belief of only that which I see. I can not go back to where I was, no more than you can not see that which you have seen. HE said HE does not exist for those who do not believe, so for those, they are also correct in that there is no God. Small wonder Hitler chose the path he did.

Hitler was raised Catholic. He speaks of it in Mein Kampf. In addition, all members of the SS were required to be Christian.

Sorry, but that dog just won't hunt.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What you're missing is that "christian" is a very generic term, used throughout the ages for a very wide variety of beliefs and actions that come from those beliefs.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Seems to me, if anything, an argument could be made that after God got kicked out of the public schools, the kids got dumber....not the other way around. Don't know if reason got abandoned but math sure did.

If God/theology in the Class room made kids smarter, Muslims would be the worlds leader in science.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
The fact that there are false prophets is no surprise to Jesus, and it shouldn't be to us. But to us, it should motivate us to be faithful, and to be found among the "few." Jesus is either everything, or he is nothing. Take your pick as though your life depends on it.

We actually made it more then 10 posts on a religion thread before one the thumpers rolled out the threats.

That's got to be some kind of a record.
Threats??? Ha! laugh

How can something you don't believe in threaten you?

Sounds like Nancy Pelosi logic. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Hitler was raised Catholic. He speaks of it in Mein Kampf. In addition, all members of the SS were required to be Christian.

So what if he was raised Catholic? That does not follow the teachings of The Bible. Did hitler accept their tenants even? No. He rejected the most basic requirements.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Seems to me, if anything, an argument could be made that after God got kicked out of the public schools, the kids got dumber....not the other way around. Don't know if reason got abandoned but math sure did.

If God/theology in the Class room made kids smarter, Muslims would be the worlds leader in science.
You're confusing God with satan. No worries. Typical atheist misnomer. wink

He's right ya know. School today is not what it once was or needs to be. Coincidence? Yeah, sure. whistle

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The respect is mutual.

No Sir, I do not defend the atrocities that went on in the name of any religion and especially not Christianity. The dark ages were dark and the leaders during those times were... well as a Christian I do not use that language.

Neither do I believe in any of the end justifies the means kinds of trickery to try to force others to believe as I do. I refuse to follow any religion and the harsh dogmas that go along with religions. I just follow Christ as best as I can and no, I am a hell of a long way from perfect or even especially good.

As I stated in the quoted post I makes no difference to me what you believe. I disagree with you but will fight to the end for your right to freely believe as you choose and your right to state those beliefs.

You will not find me on a soap box shouting fire and brimstone. That is just not me. Nor will you find me supporting those who do.

I have a personal faith as does my wife. If you want to know about it you can ask and I will answer your questions to the best of my ability. But, if you were here right now I would probably light a campfire and pull up a couple of chairs. There would be refreshments. The subject of my beliefs in God would not come up unless you brought it up. I am pretty sure we would have a good time.

That said you aren't going to change my mind. I have my personal proof that God answers prayers in the form of a beautiful daughter born with Down syndrome. She was supposed to live for a month. I think she was four when she was Called to the Vancouver BC Children's Hosp. for tests. Positive for Down syndrome again. Around eleven years old the asked her to return for further testing. No Down syndrome. The tissue samples are still on file and they still have no explanation. She received no treatment, only prayer. I am convinced that a power much higher than any other had His hand in this. I find no other scientific explanation. I call Him God.

Hes had a hard tome in school, she worked extra hard for her As and Bs through high school and collage. Today she manages food services and housekeeping for five care facilities and is next in line for a regional management position. She is buying her own home and has done it all without government help.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Scott, why do REAL Christians even give a crap about whether folks like AS are told the Truth? (Granted, pretend Christians don't give a crap, Steel, as you have experienced).

Real Christians give a crap because HE told us to love our neighbor as ourselves. HE told us to pray for our enemies. We have no choice but to want all to know the Truth (Jesus Christ) that even AS said he searched for in an earlier post.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/15/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

BC30cal, well put, and lovingly so as usual.

To those here who do not believe or scorn the church:

Christians are not only not perfect; some that are, are not. Even for those who truly are, in Romans 7, the Apostle Paul teaches us about the original,sinful nature we have to deal with once we come to Christ. We do this with varying degrees of success even though "born again." So you may see what you say is the hypocrite on occasion and perhaps he/she is; but perhaps not. I struggle with sinful patterns of behavior though I fight against them daily, but believe and trust in the redeeming blood of Christ and His spirit in me. People like me make the church imperfect--the spiritual hospital it was meant to be.

But to BC's point, The Church is the body of all believers, crossing denominations, cultures, languages, and socioeconomic groups-all who believe in and trust Christ for their redemption.

As a group, and organized, we can do things beyond the reach of the individual's resources, as Dwayne said, to bring the hand of Jesus and his healing words to the needy.

For example, here I am, in-country, in Ghana, Africa under the auspices of the Lukes Society, a Christian Medical Mission outreach involved in bringing medical care to some thirty Third World countries. In Ghana, a surgeon believer and friend and his two sons, and I, went to a small country hospital and though in archaic and difficult conditions performed about twenty surgeries in a two week period.

[Linked Image]

Did you know universities (the Ivy Leagues in our country), hospitals, and women's rights were initially brought to the light of day by Christians?

The Church, here on earth, will never be perfect because of it's members, but that does not render false the message of it's Cornerstone, Jesus Christ. It only proves that His message concerning us two millennia ago was needed and exactly right.

George, you make a good argument for the utility of the Christian Faith, but utility does not equate with truth. But in claiming the good, you must also claim the bad. It was Christians women who ushered in Prohibition in 1918 while our boys were away fighting WWI. This lead to the Gangster era, and the corruption of local governments in places Chicago. It's this corrupt machine that gave us Barrack Obama, so by extension, good intentioned Christians own the election of Barrack Obama to the Presidency.

Further more, the missionaries in Africa are notorious for the opposition to birth control, specifically in the form of condoms. Do we really need to spread more over population and Aids and poverty across the Dark Continent?"

Antelope-, there is no doubt true Christians are faulty and have done foolish, thoughtless, and unconscionable things down through the ages and still do in the name of their faith but two things: 1) "we" could give a historical laundry list of positive and very constructive things as well so you have to be even-handed in your honest appraisal. 2). The fact that Christians have done bad things is irrespective of their having The Truth. Rather, it's a matter of living it out with our human weakness that are so often at odds with living "the Christian life."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Scott, I do not believe you fall into my category of Dogmatic Theologist. I don't recall you ever arguing in favor of any of the specific items I find objectionable such as young earth creationism and teaching theology in place of science in our schools. As I mentioned above, your actions appear to speak loudly, and I've harbored nothing but respect for you.

But my friend, I am anything but dogmatic. I believe in a loving, forgiving God who is most likely appalled and sickened by most of what the church (note the lower case c in the word church) has become as well as what it was in the time of heretic burning and the crusades. Love thy neighbor as you lop off his head just doesn't sit well. eek

FWIW I an not a young earth believer either and find nothing in my Bible that stater young earth. As for teaching theology in public schools, that is not their job.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I was given a choice and I chose the path but no, I cannot go back.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Hitler was taught in a Catholic school but just like my friend DD that did not make him a Christian just and it did not make the SS Christians. They may have been christians, that is lip service without true faith but Christians throughout time do not engage in the atrocities Hitler and the SS did.

There is a wide gap between christians and Christians. Just as every self made hero who brags about being A SEAL was never a SEAL.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks Scott for the Truth, but actually, that is not what those who wish to denigrate The Truth are seeking. Some wish to use any excuse to stick a spear in Him, again, and are not truthful about the bone they use as an excuse to persecute Him, which is not really surprising, with respect to the excuses used to justify crucifying Him.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do have to admit, I don't like most christians. I would rather sit around a fire with Mr Sniper than a christian any day of the week. Real is important to me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Stop taking everything Richard Dawkins says as gospel. Sitting in a church no more makes you a Christian than sitting in a garage makes you a Buick.

Hitler and the Nazis pretended to be Christian to gain power because most Germans were Christians in those days. He was no more Christian than you are. The Swastika is a Hindu symbol that Hitler co-opted. Is he a Hindu too? I don't think so.

Hitler was not an idiot. He did not come out and tell the German people that he was evil and would destroy their country. Its pretty common knowledge that the Nazis were occultist....or at least I thought it was. Plenty of Nazi quotes exits about stamping out Christianity....Boorman said they were going to "stamp it out root and branch" and I believe Hitler said you could not be a Christian and a national socialist.

I will hand it to you....you are one prepared SOB and are damn good at pushing your agenda.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 11 of 38 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.