Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 38 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 37 38
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No animal contemplates it's own contemplation.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by RJY66

I've heard it presented that the odds of one complex organism evolving by the process of natural selection as currently described by "science" as one in one billion trillion. That seems fairly unlikely to me but I is just a hick.

I have also in my life seen a lot of scientific "facts" be later exposed as BS. I have also seen brilliant people be stunningly, astoundingly wrong about real important stuff. But they have probably got this evolution thing nailed.

RJY, I'm familiar that presentation, and it's fallacys. Here's the list:

The calculation of odds assumes that the protein molecule formed by chance. However, biochemistry is not chance, making the calculated odds meaningless. Biochemistry produces complex products, and the products themselves interact in complex ways. For example, complex organic molecules are observed to form in the conditions that exist in space, and it is possible that they played a role in the formation of the first life (Spotts 2001).

The calculation of odds assumes that the protein molecule must take one certain form. However, there are innumerable possible proteins that promote biological activity. Any calculation of odds must take into account all possible molecules (not just proteins) that might function to promote life.

The calculation of odds assumes the creation of life in its present form. The first life would have been very much simpler.

The calculation of odds ignores the fact that innumerable trials would have been occurring simultaneously.

As a result the reported "odds" are invalid.

As for scientific ideas being proven false, we have a name for that. It's Progress. And who proves these ideas wrong anyway? Is it the priest, or another scientist?

AS,

Well, I think RJY is correct with the conclusion. As, you disagree with the methodology but you seemingly do not disagree with the conclusion?

It seems to me that the conclusion is correct. I wonder how many biologists have tried and failed to "produce life" in the lab. This seems to show that the odds are very long indeed.

Now, one could conclude that it must have happened or life would not be here now...right? That of course is a statement of great faith.

TF

TF, I disagree with the argument that based purely on statistic early life could not evolve on earth. You are correct to note that at this time, no scientist has created life in a lab, and we do not know the exact mechanism that created life of earth, however, you cannot logically jump from "we don't know" to "God did it". We don't know, just means, we don't know. At present there are at least a half dozen different hypothesis (nothing that qualifies as a theory) regarding abiogenesis. Where in science we are comfortable saying we don't know something, why is it the theologist feel they must instantly plug these holes with God?

So, you agree that life being created in the lab is difficult .....but ....that a method must exist and there are many theories regarding abiogenesis. So, it seems you are indeed agreeing with the long odds.

Also, are these same scientists trying to seek answers by plugging in their theories because they cannot conceive that God did it?

Plugging the holes of understanding with the latest and most popular "scientific theory" is the same error as a theologist would make if he attributed everything unexplained or even hard to understand, to God.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by eyeball
What animal contemplates a life after death? None. What animal contemplates the purpose of its own existence, or humility, or developing meds to protect its progeny, or the solar system, or immigration?

You sell yourself too short.

It's a good excuse to justify a life of self gratification.

No, you are the one selling non-believers short. Just because non-believers do not believe in an invisible spirit that will punish bad behavior (or just a lack of faith, depending on the mythos) for all eternity, that in no way justifies bad behavior. If anything, they serve to an opposite belief. After all, there is not preordained plan, supervised by a supernatural being to make sure everything is going to work out. If, because of your actions, things go poorly, there is no one to pray to to make things better. Further more, this is your one and only life. If you screw it up, you don't get another one in the "after life". One shot, with no reset button. Consequently this means we have more, not less responsibility then the believer to make the most of this life and not screw things up for everyone else.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You are the one who doesn't believe in forgiveness and that you are no more than a dog.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So, you agree that life being created in the lab is difficult .....but ....that a method must exist and there are many theories regarding abiogenesis. So, it seems you are indeed agreeing with the long odds.

Also, are these same scientists trying to seek answers by plugging in their theories because they cannot conceive that God did it?

Plugging the holes of understanding with the latest and most popular "scientific theory" is the same error as a theologist would make if he attributed everything unexplained or even hard to understand, to God.

TF

TF, lets not confuse speculation with Scientific Theories. Speculation, so long as it is testable, is part of the scientific process. But until that speculation is turned into a large body of confirmed hypothesis that construct a large, explanatory body of knowledge that can be used to make predictions, it not a theory. The current body of knowledge on abiogenesis does not meet this definition, which is why there is no "Theory of Abiogenesis". Still, we've made some progress on the subject such as developing an understanding of the development of long proteins, and the development of complex molecules in various atmospheres, oceans, and even in space. Sure will still don't know, but that doesn't not justify the insertion of God, or any other mechanism for which we have no evidence.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/15/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A few thousand years ago some winos sat around with chisel, hammer and stone and pecked out that Israel would be surrounded by enemies dedicated to driving them into the sea and then sat around laughing about confounding suckers like me.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You are the one who doesn't believe in forgiveness and that you are no more than a dog.

I said we are animals. I never said all animals are equal.

As for forgiveness, I don't believe in the doctrine of Original Sin either. So I don't need God to forgive me for a catch 22 he created. A forgiveness that involves vicarious redemption through the human sacrifice of a scapegoat loaded with all the original sins inflicted upon all of mankind.

Yes, you are right. I find that idea untenable.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

TF

TF, lets not confuse speculation with Scientific Theories. Speculation, so long as it is testable, is part of the scientific process. But until that speculation is turned into a large body of confirmed hypothesis that construct a large, explanatory body of knowledge that can be used to make predictions, it not a theory. The current body of knowledge on abiogenesis does not meet this definition, which is why there is no "Theory of Abiogenesis". Still, we've made some progress on the subject such as developing an understanding of the development of long proteins, and the development of complex molecules in various atmospheres, oceans, and even in space. Sure will still don't know, but that doesn't not justify the insertion of God, or any other mechanism for which we have no evidence.

Well, we are maybe close to being in agreement here. However, the scientific community is rife with pure old speculation masquerading as what may be called a disciplined theory.

And, as I have said before, I am all for scientific endeavor and discovery. Great benefits for mankind as a result.

Gotta check out...

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just because one part of science dominated by Liberal Dogmatic Theocrats is wrong, doesn't mean the whole of science is wrong.

Just want to point out that just because one part (or several parts) of "Christian" society is dominated by self-serving impostors and/or misinformed followers, doesn't mean the whole of Christianity is wrong.

Carry on...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No animal contemplates it's own contemplation.

Well, as much as life is a mystery, the quantum physicists seem to be getting a handle on what may be happening. I must couch my comments as an accidental mystic, one who has experienced many existential visions that defy explanation in linear sequential though or language, so forgive me if I seem incoherent. What these scientists are talking about is the theory that matter does not produce consciousness, but that consciousness produces matter and all life. Not just any consciousness, but a conscious awareness of self that is transcendent, existing outside of time and space. Even more startling is the proposition that this consciousness is all that there is - the entire universe, and whatever it arises from, is aware of itself. It is the observations of this consciousness that collapses the field of probability to create matter, and is the basis of choice or free will we believe to be our own. Our brain/mind interfaces with this consciousness indirectly creating our individual sense of self.

Now that pretty much comports with my experiences wherein everything cascades from the first cause, the primal realization, awareness of self-existence. This realization takes place beyond time, space, dimension and conditions. everything exists at once, as potentia (from the Latin potens, the present active participle of possum (I am able), so that with the realization of self existence, all things become possible because I AM able to create them from myself (here we refer to God, not Wrangler John). So that what we have is God looking back at the universe through our eyes at itself. Hence it is God contemplating it's own contemplations in the guise of humanity. That is why Man can comprehend that that God exists and yet at the same time also deny that God exists. What compound of elemental matter can be said to be alive or conscious of itself? While at the transcendent level all matter is the conscious manifestation of mind necessary to create a material world of exploratory forms and express the psychological implications of conscious deliberate actions that affect itself or others.

Because thought must proceed action, the archetype, Jesus Christ, preexisted Man as the design motif. We are the process of becoming matter transfigured as the ideal consciously aware potent being in both material and transcendent realms. We can no more separate ourselves from God's intent than the turtle can castoff his shell. As we are, warts and all, we are God becoming something beyond our understanding through our judgement of moral and ethical principles of behavior. The realization of the fact that we can, through concerted action, change the course of human development and attainment is the actual purpose of religion. Yet we find that religion went astray as best described in Matthew 23, and again in the Gospel of Thomas:

39 Jesus said, "The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

102 Jesus said, "Damn the Pharisees! They are like a dog sleeping in the cattle manger: the dog neither eats nor [lets] the cattle eat."

Getting back on track towards enlightenment and our potential will require setting aside the the things worshiped in this world, can we do it?

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 07/16/14.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
eyeball,

Amen. He also saw those who would choose to follow the world (science) and reject Him, and He sent His Son to die for them anyway.

The "science" of the world is not science. It is a philosophical escape mechinism foisted on unsuspecting children until they are adults. That's why the movie Expelled: No intelegence allowed is rejected by them. It demonstrates their lack of tolerance of even questioning evolution.

Yes indeed.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nothing wrong with a Church until you let people inside it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by DBT
Not to say that something that we may call ''God'' does not exist, but what is the evidence that supports a justified belief in any form or version of God?

It's called faith and it's not easy for many to understand.

BTDT.

Faith is a belief despite very poor, or a total lack of evidence.
Once someone resorts to the faith card they are admitting there is not reasonable evidence for their position.

Absolutely the opposite. True Christian faith is based on overwhelming evidence; it is a full persuasion of the mind and heart based upon examining credible evidence. John Locke explains this in "The Reasonableness of Christianity"

Can anybody point me to a Hindu who was a wise as John Locke? Ghandi was no John Locke...
John Locke is the brains and thinking behind the American Revolution; he is the inspiration, some word for word, for the Declaration of Independence. There was no greater political science writer, understanding of course he was building on those gone before.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Next I am concerned about the potential damage dogmatic theism (and dogmatic leftism) can cause to our great nation. How many times have I posted the video on "Naming Rights" and how Al-Ghazali's pronouncement's against science crippled progress within the Muslim civilization relegating what were the most enlightened people in the world to a 5th rate has been status? We see pronouncements of this nature today. Pope John Paul II said scientist could examine the mechanics of nature, but forbid them from examining the beginnings of the universe because "that was the domain of God". As I mentioned above a significant percentage of Americans do not want evolution, the basis of modern biology, taught in our schools. This matches with the 42% of Americans who believe the earth in no more then 10k years old. 2014 Gallop Poll

As has been pointed out it is important to remember that Christianity is no more monolithic than is Atheism. If you view things that way, as it appears you may, you ignore the history that George mentions above.

Similarly you ignore the historical devotion to education that Christians have had. Our ivy league universities on the East coast all have Christian roots.

We complain our nation is falling behind in math and science, while teaching our children to abandon reason, and just "have faith" in a collection 2000-2500 year old stories, and take these stories as literal truth, or risk an eternity of punishment?

As is usually the case it seems to me you over simplify and mischaracterize the situation here. Clearly there are groups within the Christian community who conform to some degree but for the vast majority the question of faith related in acceptance of the accuracy of God's word is not at all mutually exclusive to a academic excellence in math or free exploration in science. As a matter of fact in my tradition both have been highly encouraged. I don't believe in a new earth and don't believe it a necessary point toward belief in the reliability of Scritpure.

One could easily make the identical claim about Atheism, for it claims to be capable of proving a negative, which is altogether contrary to reason.

I debate because I love my nation, the evidence does not support your position, and your position is potentially harmful to this nation, and consequently it can affect me and my children.

Again, ignorance of history. In this country Christianity has done the opposite of what you posit. While this does not prove whether or not it is true, it does prove that it has been on the whole positive.

Given that the spectrum of those anti-Science Christians is so narrow, it would seem to me logical to ask you what good Atheism has done historically?

Communism is ideologically atheistic, and while many Totalitarians have used the Church in an attempt to further their evil ends they themselves have been atheistic. They posit themselves as the supreme power, setting aside the restraints that submission to a transcendent power create for power of their own.

Based upon the exchange above it appears to me that you have many of the same blind spots that Christians have. Your "concerns" are overly broad and overlook evidence that doesn't suit your pre-determined conclusion.

I for one am a hard core supporter of the separation of Church & State. I believe that concept to be as good for the Church & her congregants as it is for the State & her citizens. I have no more problem with teaching the theory of evolution in school than I do of the Gospel being preached in Churches. I don't want prayer in public schools at all, for whatever we could come up with to please everyone would bear no resemblance to the prayer I want for my children that it'd be senseless. I don't send my kids to Christian school because they need the educational experience of being forced to deal with others who think differently than them in a civil manner.

I have no interest in forcing my beliefs on anyone. I do get concerned when speech is censored whether that censorship serves me or not. Your accusation of proselysing is one I've found serves the same purpose in the lexicon of the Atheist as you suggested my question does Christians. It shuts down free interaction and begs the question... Do you believe as I do, that everyone has equal rights to speak freely in public of what they believe whether they agree with me or not? The assertion & use of that word suggest to me that perhaps you have different standards for religious speech than other forms, but based upon your overall attitude in this conversation I'd be surprised if that we so. You seem like a free speech advocate.

Good conversation/exchange. I'd gladly sit around a campfire and snipe antelope with you, and share Scott's general lack of enjoyment of many Christians. I came to the Church from your position, so I can appreciate it.

Take care,

Efw

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F
Scott, I do not choose to believe in God. I have no choice. I asked Him to come into my heart and the Truth has set me free of the curse of the flesh and the belief of only that which I see. I can not go back to where I was, no more than you can not see that which you have seen. HE said HE does not exist for those who do not believe, so for those, they are also correct in that there is no God. Small wonder Hitler chose the path he did.

Hitler was raised Catholic. He speaks of it in Mein Kampf. In addition, all members of the SS were required to be Christian.

Sorry, but that dog just won't hunt.

Hitler was taught in a Catholic school but just like my friend DD that did not make him a Christian just and it did not make the SS Christians. They may have been christians, that is lip service without true faith but Christians throughout time do not engage in the atrocities Hitler and the SS did.

There is a wide gap between christians and Christians. Just as every self made hero who brags about being A SEAL was never a SEAL.

Like being a libertarian and being a Libertarian.

Last edited by derby_dude; 07/16/14.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Absolutely the opposite. True Christian faith is based on overwhelming evidence; it is a full persuasion of the mind and heart based upon examining credible evidence. John Locke explains this in "The Reasonableness of Christianity"

Can anybody point me to a Hindu who was a wise as John Locke? Ghandi was no John Locke...
John Locke is the brains and thinking behind the American Revolution; he is the inspiration, some word for word, for the Declaration of Independence. There was no greater political science writer, understanding of course he was building on those gone before.

True religious faith is always based on overwhelming evidence of the believer. Christians don't hold the patent on this.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But regarding your arguments about toxins, that's a 10 year old argument from the Discover Institute. What they are missing is that context matters.

The arguement is still valid even if it is 100 years old. There are more toxic chemcals than desired chemicals. The desired bond with the toxic just as quickly as they bond with other desired. Since there are more toxic the chance of getting even pre-biotic substances is still zero.

Miller-Urey experiments produce amino acids among other chemical compounds (Kawamoto and Akaboshi 1982; Schlesinger and Miller 1983).

You are either intentially or unintentially leaving out the fact experiments like this use a trap to get the "evolving" biohemicals away from the energy source. Otherwise evolution will not take place; even this controled inviroment.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mr Sniper. Good morning to you.

Upon awakening this morning I remembered the opening to a story I am writing, maybe it is a book, but either way it expresses my view on the beginning of the earth and life.

IN THE BEGINNING

GENESIS 1: 1-12
1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3. Then God said, "Let there be light "; and there was light. 4. God saw that the light was good ; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5. God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day. 6. Then God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters." 7. God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse ; and it was so. 8. God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day. 9. Then God said, "Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear "; and it was so. 10. God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas ; and God saw that it was good. 11. Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation : plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. 12. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind ; and God saw that it was good.

The teller of this tale has no clue as to the exact number of days or just how God created the earth, nor does he care. It is enough to know the earth wasn't and then it was. The teller of this tale does have thoughts about what all went on in the process as it relates to the part of earth where he resides, that part now known as the Pacific Northwest on the Continent of North America.

It must have been one wild ride. There is evidence of vast inland lakes that are now long gone. There are multiple mountain ranges and deep canyons, some scoured by water and others seem to have been created by violent splits in the earths crust or perhaps formed by the finger of God. There are volcanoes that have spewed forth ash and lava from deep within the earth's core, sometimes bringing various other minerals and elements along for the ride. There is also evidence of ancient rivers that are no more. The teller of this tale does not think it would have been fun to live here when all this took place, but he takes great joy in the beauty and splendor of what is there now.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Interesting view. Sounds like a mix of Taoism, Descarte, Berkeley, and particle physics.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
As for teaching theology in public schools, that is not their job.
They wouldn't have time. Too busy teaching islam and witchcraft.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 13 of 38 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.