Print Thread
Hop To
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
When my dad passed I ended up with his circa 1977 Marlin 336 chambered in the .35 REM. Before he died he was having trouble with it firing. It was only when he had fired 4-6 shots and the gun got hot. Then it would not fire. The firing pin was only lightly hit. If he put the gun down to cool off it would fire again until it got hot again. His gunsmith took two attempts at fixing it but could not find the problem. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There was a thread on here recently about .35 Rem chambers not being consistent. Could be part of it, if the chamber and barrel expand slightly when hot ???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a gunsmith check the headspace on it. If you had mis-fires when it was cold, I'd lean toward the spring or firing pin, but if it only happens when it's hot, then something is expanding out of tolerance, like the chamber.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Shouldershot, Thanks for the reply, I'll poke around here and check out past posts/threads

Jayhawker, Thanks for the reply, A few years back, in below zero weather, the gun would not shoot. The gunsmith told my dad the pin froze due to him using WD-40 and not gun oil. The gun was cleaned and cold firing has been fine. It's definitly a "hot" issue. Spoke to the repair shop at Marlin and they said "never heard of this" I'll try another gunsmith but these days there hard to find in MA.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Also Jayhawker, If the chamber is expanding when hot is that a terminal condition?

Thanks,
Harry

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you have a hammer spur (extension), take if off and see if that helps. I occasionally got misfires with mine until I did that.... although they were not predictable like what you describe.

Pretty odd.... good luck.

H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks Mike, Yes it does have a hammer extension so I'll try taking it off next time I'm at the range with it.
Harry

Thomas Jefferson

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
If you have a hammer spur (extension), take if off and see if that helps. I occasionally got misfires with mine until I did that.... although they were not predictable like what you describe.

If the removal of the hammer spur stops misfires I wonder if the hammer springs eventually weaken? Is it a good idea to replace the hammer springs occasionally? Or should you shim the springs with small washers?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Is the ammo reloads or factory. We were having misfires with reloads, but factory were good. Turned out the rifle needed the cases to be sized just a little more.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

I honestly don't know. One thing, people occasionally shorten the mainsprings to get a lighter trigger. If that appears to be the case, then I would suggest having an extra spring on hand.

If the removal of the hammer spur stops misfires I wonder if the hammer springs eventually weaken? Is it a good idea to replace the hammer springs occasionally? Or should you shim the springs with small washers?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,409
Posts18,507,012
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.