Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 38 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 37 38
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Eyeball, I don't have a bit of a problem with us humans having a God. we had to hav started somewhere, and starting with God is as good of a place, condition, actuality as any. no one has come up with a better idea, unless it's the Hindu's. they say there's no beginning and no end. I don't know if they are right or wrong in that regard.

I'm not much into prophecy of Israel. the Conservative Rabbi I studied under back in the day didn't give it much credence, and he was well-versed in the subject, having been raised Orthodox and all.

anyhow, a lot of people like the idea or concept of God, since it gives them a "out" when they breathe their last down here on the Urthen. for that, God does seem to play an important role for many people, no matter what their current religion is.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, if you aren't in to prophecy it probably doesn't exist. Surely, if we ignore the stories meant for our enlightenment we will be no less enlightened.

FWIW, we don't have a god. One made us in His image and He has us, if we are so blessed. One can be so blessed if only they ask.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Morality is simply what it takes for a given population to get along in a given geographical area in a given time frame.

Agreemet by a group does not establish morality. Consider the inner city or parents sending their children across the Mexican desert.

Times change and so does morality.

Times change. Morality is immutable.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wearing socks woven of wool and Lycra is a sin. True when Leviticus 19:19 was written so still true now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
Wearing socks woven of wool and Lycra is a sin. True when Leviticus 19:19 was written so still true now.

Nah....if one understands the difference in "the law" and Jesus being the fulfillment of the law, one would not make that statement.

Tf

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do humans "have God?" Or does the Creator "have humans?" To think w
That humans have or create god is downright baffling to me.

Tf

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Understood.

Jesus bled out so that I can wear blended fabric clothing and still go to Heaven.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Quick reply, so equal opportunity offender here. Is not the epitome of arrogance and ignorance both, the idea that without some form of god, especially mine, that some one can not live a life of morals or good will to their neighbors?

Can you not make an informed decision on your own? Can you not see that screwing your neighbors wife or murdering his children is wrong?

I can't believe this coat hanger abortion of a discussion has gone on this long. Although they always do.

Christianity is an exclusivistic religion. Therefore, there can only be one God their God, there can only be one moral code their moral code. All other moral code are false and wrong and if you don't accept their God as the one and only true God you are an atheist.

Yep, pretty close. But "Christianity" is open to all so it is not exclusive of all, but not all choose to join. Also, it seems to me that the atheist does not believe in God but a muslim does so not all non-Christians are atheists. Right?

Tf

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by BarryC

Christianity is an exclusivistic religion. Therefore, there can only be one God their God, there can only be one moral code their moral code. All other moral code are false and wrong and if you don't accept their God as the one and only true God you are an atheist.

If you don't believe that your religion is correct, why do you bother with it?

Isn't a lack of a solid religion or moral code just as valid?

If your religion is correct, how can other religions also be correct?

Nobody is really without a religion, what they look to for guidance just varies.

I believe my spiritual path is right for me but it may not be right for everyone. I don't deny other spiritual paths or call them atheists because they believe differently.

I do draw the line with any spiritual path that deliberately seeks to harm others with malicious and spiteful intent as do most Pagans.

A law tailored to each of us and to thus save each of us from our own various proclivities and vises sounds really nice. Yes, I think I shall attempt salvation by proclaiming innocence based on my particular situation.

Yep, I can be a god like ze ro, making and abiding by my own laws. Whew, I now feel so much better.

That's the crux of the problem right there. I'm a human being living in the natural world under natural law and I don't need salvation. When I pass I'll merely pass into the Other World, a parallel universe to this one. A fairy tale, sure but no different than your fairy tale.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, if you aren't in to prophecy it probably doesn't exist. Surely, if we ignore the stories meant for our enlightenment we will be no less enlightened.

FWIW, we don't have a god. One made us in His image and He has us, if we are so blessed. One can be so blessed if only they ask.

You have that back wards. We humans have made God in our image. It's tough if not impossible to worship a Deity we have no concept of so we build a image of God and personalize it, every religion does it.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Quick reply, so equal opportunity offender here. Is not the epitome of arrogance and ignorance both, the idea that without some form of god, especially mine, that some one can not live a life of morals or good will to their neighbors?

Can you not make an informed decision on your own? Can you not see that screwing your neighbors wife or murdering his children is wrong?

I can't believe this coat hanger abortion of a discussion has gone on this long. Although they always do.

Yep, pretty close. But "Christianity" is open to all so it is not exclusive of all, but not all choose to join. Also, it seems to me that the atheist does not believe in God but a muslim does so not all non-Christians are atheists. Right?

Tf

That's not what makes Christianity an exclusivistic religion. What makes Christianity exclusivistic religion is the 1st Commandment of the Ten Commandments.

You may not but most Christians consider anyone who does not believe in God (Jesus) is an atheist.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
DD said: "That's not what makes Christianity an exclusivistic religion. What makes Christianity exclusivistic religion is the 1st Commandment of the Ten Commandments.

You may not but most Christians consider anyone who does not believe in God (Jesus) is an atheist."

"You shall not have any other god before me."

Ok, I see what you are saying. God wants us to worship ONLY Him. NO other "gods" and no other idols etc. Yep, that's exclusive alright.

TF

btw, I heard that Oprah one time said that she could not worship a god that was jealous. Kinda accusing God of being a "jealous" god. Well, I am so glad that he is. He is possessive of his own. He loves that which is rightfully his. He protects us from the deceiver and guards us. Yep, exclusive as you say and also, in my opinion, jealous.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Humans would have made a god who didnt care if you said g d, raped, pillaged, lied or stole, that being the nature of the flesh.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Humans would have made a god who didnt care if you said g d, raped, pillaged, lied or stole, that being the nature of the flesh.

lol.

we're creeping up on, ever so slowly, the necessity to more fully define the human being.

at this point we can all agree upon the following: 1. we don't know where we came from, 2. we don't know where we are, and 3. we certainly don't know where we're headed next.

the High Priests at NASA are working overtime on the problem. grin

the definition of a human being is:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We humans have made God in our image. It's tough if not impossible to worship a Deity we have no concept of so we build a image of God and personalize it, every religion does it.

So, who or rather what, made us?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I reckon most on here were made by a mistake. Uh, does that count? wink

That's probably about as good an answer as you'll get, I fear.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/18/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We humans have made God in our image. It's tough if not impossible to worship a Deity we have no concept of so we build a image of God and personalize it, every religion does it.

I'll answer later I have to go right now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A super natural intelligent life force made us what we may call God or a Deity but we can have no concept of what that God or Deity might look like.

The Bible says God prevented the Jews from building idols to represent God. God punished the Jews when they made the golden calf as a representation of God. The reason the Jews hold the Torah in such high reverence is because the Torah is the closes thing they can have to represent God.

The Celts were amazed when they saw the Roman and Greek temples and how the Romans and Greeks had made statues of the Roman and Greek Gods and Goddesses and had personified the Gods and Goddesses. The Celts believed in one supreme creator but said nothing can be known about the creator, it just is.

The Christians have personified God through Jesus and named God Jesus. I did the same thing with the Goddess that is my icon. Praying, speaking with, or doing much of anything else is tough without a personified Deity personified in the human image.

All religions I've studied do this. Buddha spent twenty years supposedly staring at wall to become enlighten. Today most Buddhists have the Buddha icon in their temples and homes for worship and enlightenment.

We are not made in the image of God but rather He is made in our image. Even if one were to say but our soul is made in the image of God and that maybe true but we have no concept of what the soul looks like or even is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I'll just end here as always, 'cause in this format one can always go so just far, and you have chosen thus far to refuse to objectively reflect on real truth and I will not argue it on a website.

What's REAL truth concerning religion?

DD, thanks for asking. John 3:16 to be succinct,..and then more.

Okay, I'm not trying be an ass here. So the only truth is a number of books collected in a bible written by dead guys who re-wrote the legends and myths they heard from the pagans of ancient Egypt, Persia, and Babylon. So that's the truth?

I know you're not; just speaking out of not knowing. Your premise is wrong. Get back to me if interested.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's wrong with church,

real simple, people run it

Page 17 of 38 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.