-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You've all heard the term. I've just never known exactly what it is supposed to mean. Is it just a term manufactured by the antis to mean hunting when you don't have to hunt to survive, which would mean just about all hunting nowadays. Or does it mean hunting only for heads, as opposed to "meat hunting". If so, it would beg the question "what do sport hunters do with the meat?" They are required by law to take it, but do they eat it? Do they give it away? Do they take it home and throw it away then? How about you bear hunters? Do you take the meat, and if so, why? Is it just because you are required to by law, or do you take it because you like to eat it? I have heard that bear is actually quite good, similar to pork, but I have to wonder how many people actually consume an entire bear before they go out and get another one. I have a feeling most of the regulars here eat lots of wild game because they like it, for various reasons, but I'm curious what those in the guiding business think happens to the meat they help get. I know a guy who shot a brownie in Alaska once, years ago, and as far as I know every ounce of the meat is still in the freezer. -al

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My dad said he never hunted for sport until he moved to Colorado.Growing up on a stump farm in W.V. he and his brother hunted and fished for food.I have never thought of it as sport,allthough I enjoy pitting my skills against the game.<P>As for the bear meat I have eaten it many times and enjoy it.The law in Alberta does not require me to take the meat out of the bush and twice I have just taken the hides and I'll make no excuses or apologies for that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe Sports hunting is a term that is left over from the last century. Then there were three classes of hunters, subsistance in that game was hunted to fill the diet of the hunter. There isn't much of that left save for some Canadian Indians or Eskimos. Then there were market hunters, like the buffalo hide men and pigeon shooters who sold the game and ate beef steak. There isn't any market hunting left. A Sports hunter was one who hunted only to satisfy himself with out it being a must do to live thing.<BR>Today all hunting is really sports hunting. Done because the hunter wants to. Under sports hunting there are different types, for meat because you want to eat it not because you have to eat it or starve. Trophy hunting where head, hide or something are more important to the hunter than the carcase. Mode, pistol hunters, bow, muzzle loader etc. It is still sports hunting.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
Good post Boggy, I never thought of the term being from last centurie until you brought it up...makes sense.<P>I Sport Hunt....darn sure don't do it for food....the market has all I can eat. I'm in it for the love of the game....to challenge hard to take animals to a mono-e-mono duel, may the better one win......all for fun and kicks, my obsession,...a passion that consumes my every waking moment......all I ever think about....<P>....did I say I like to hunt?<BR>DS

'Slayer
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On another site someone once challenged me to define sport hunting. I then had a only a sense of the matter and it took a lot of thought to come near a viable definition. I now really think that there could be a modern way to distiguish meat hunting from sport hunting.<P>If you go after a trophy animal, bypassing younger, better "eating", examples, and you do this in 'fair chase" conditions -- not on a small, high-fenced 'game farm' -- you are sport hunting. Same for bypassing a bear with a dark phase or poor hide because you really want a silvertip or some other first class hide. Also, I would say that you are sport hunting if you inhibit yourself by choosing primitive weapons -- say, muzzleloaders with flintlocks or any archery gear -- and using them proficiently. In my view, those hunters who stalk game in close for the love of the woodscraft are sport hunters too.<P>Using all the high-tech equipment that is available and legal to fill tags is meat hunting. There's nothing wrong or perjorative about that. I do it myself and regard it as sport with a small "s". The animals taken in this manner are used properly and are a vital part of the planned management of game. <P>Taking trophy aninimals with a guide in high fenced "preserves" isn't hunting at all -- it is live animal shooting. <P>In sum, we can make meaningful distinctions on our motives and hunting styles. But we always should respect the other guy's legitimate approach and not let anyone divide hunters along some narrow definitional lines. <P>Except that is, for slob hunters -- game law violators and other sociopaths in the woods with guns. They need to be isolated and -- yes -- disarmed for the good of everyone. 1B

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Greetings!<P>Many years ago when I was first married, I hunted for food. We were struggling financially, and I hunted to add a little meat to the diet.<P>At the time I lived near the edge of town and could be hunting within 5 to 15 minutes from home. I assure you we were glad for the meat. It was primarily small game, but it added a variety to our diet. I had too much pride to ask for assistance but I was able to hunt and the good Lord took care of the rest. Thankfully those days are long past now.<P>I know of another family with 3 kids, that was in a similar situation. And I can tell you they are glad they were able to hunt and fish to supplement their diet as well.<P>There are a few families that do rely on hunting and fishing to supplement their diets, although they are most certainly in the minority.<P>Otherwise I hunt for the fun of it and I like to eat wild game. So I guess that makes me a sport hunter.<P>Mark.<p>[This message has been edited by gundog (edited June 22, 2001).]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1B:<B><BR>Using all the high-tech equipment that is available and legal to fill tags is meat hunting. ...... I do it myself and regard it as sport with a small "s". <P>Taking trophy aninimals with a guide in high fenced "preserves" isn't hunting at all -- it is live animal shooting. <P>....... slob hunters -- game law violators and other sociopaths in the woods with guns. They need to be isolated and -- yes -- disarmed for the good of everyone. 1B </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>1B,<P>That was well thought out, imo, and brutally honest. I'm sure you realize that some of those sentiments are not appreciated by a lot of folks here at the Campfire. You would seem to be a very ethical hunter and a good Sport (note the capital "S")! If you find yourself getting the cold shoulder here because of that post, you can take some consolation in knowing that there still are many of us that would heartily welcome you and others like you at our own real-life campfire. I'd go out on a limb here and guess that you might even hunt with a single-shot rifle and a one-eyed dog, given the opportunity? [Linked Image] ~ Dan<P>

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I hunt primarily for food, although I do appreciate a good head when one comes along. I used to not care at all about antlers, and shot the first cow or doe that came along, but lately I have been shooting more game with antlers. That is partly because I've learned a lot over the years and have become a better hunter, so finding antlers is easier than it used to be. But still, horns over the door are just a decorative bonus to me - my purpose and priority is food gathering. If I don't bag a bull during general season, I'll shoot a cow later and be thrilled to have it. <P>I shoot a lot of grouse out of trees, simply because that is where I usually find them. There's certainly no trophy aspect to that. It's just breakfast that I got the honest way. Mmmmm, fried grouse and eggs after a morning hunt. There's nothing better.<P>It's not what I would call subsistence hunting, because I can afford to buy food. I just have a strong ethic about being self-sufficient. I prefer wild game not because it tastes better or is more healthy, but because I acquired it in what I consider the proper, honest way. I do my own dirty work, and I'm proud to be an "honest" meat eater. I never thought of it as "sport", any more than fixing my own truck or cutting my own wood is "sport". Maybe it fits the definition, not that I really care what others want to call it. I think it's labeled that way simply because most people don't do it, so it's viewed by the majority as strange and unnecessary. But then so are TV and cell phones.<P>Heating your house with wood is a good analogy. Cutting and splitting 4 cords of wood every summer is hard, dirty work, and I can certainly afford propane, but doing it myself is how I prefer to do it. -al

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Didn't Hemingway say something like the only sports are hunting,auto racing, and bull fighting. Everything else is just a game.<P>It was something like that. I myself actually look forward to getting some extra meat in the freezer come fall. Whether it be Grouse,Pheasant,deer or whatever. It adds a little variety to the menu and isn't expensive. I'd have to agree that in The US we are pretty much all sport hunters. Meaning we don't require it to survive. Some of us sure appreciate the extra meat though [Linked Image],,BEARHUNTER

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
OK LOUD CLOUD, Please explain why we would be offended by 1B's post. tom <P><p>[This message has been edited by pumpgun (edited June 22, 2001).]

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am with tom and don't see any thing to fuss about in 1B's post. I appreciate the sentiment.<BR>However, I do think we need to be careful of balkanizing the hunting sports for this reason. There are few of us left in this society that still appreciate engageing in the blood sports in any degree. Fighting among our selves over what is "real" hunting and what isn't is unproductive and give aid and comfort to the enemies of us all. They want all hunting stopped and don't care if you do it with the wonder magnums and lazer sights or a sharp stick they want it all.<BR>In addition if we follow the anti technology logic to its natural conclusion we come up with the only "real" hunter is the guy who bangs his game over the head with a sharp rock don't we?<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (10Glocks, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 1100mag, 23 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,271
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.