R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by robertham1
2002 CBR 954RR

[Linked Image]

2008 KLR 685 with a hefty amount of upgrades....

Death Vally Daze 2012
[Linked Image]
[img]http://s670.photobucket.com/user/robertham1/media/Death%20Valley%20Daze%202010/MVI_0471.mp4.html[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those KLR's are amazing machines, aren't they!? After being off of MC's during my child raising years, I started back up with a much used and faded KLR650 myself. Had loads of fun on it and re learned how to ride. Tried it on a couple of really tough or 'technical' dirt bike trails and learned quickly that it was far too heavy for that work. Still, for an all around bike, capable of many things, it was a really good one. Kind of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" motorcycle. Birwatcher has put PILES of miles on his.

What modifications did you do? All I did to mine was lower it an inch and a half with a dog bone bar in the suspension. That made the bike handle better on freeways and in the wind, plus a LOT easier for this stoved up over 50 guy to swing a leg over!

Doohicky, 685cc piston, auxiliary lights, eagle mike raising links, seat, radiator bypass(thermobob) air horn, fork brace,Handle bars, happy trails pannier racks in rear and fairing guards in front, 14/16 front sprocket- depending on whats going on, pelican case on the rear. Exhaust baffle drilled out. Airbox drilled and desnorkled, carb shimmed and jetted. PVC valve added- not sure that did anything.

I think thats it?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC, the trick to really getting off the line with the Kaw 750 triple was changing out the swingarm to a longer one from Cal Fab or the like. That still didn't make a canyon carver out of it.
Putting a slightly longer Cal Fab swingarm and Fox Shox on the RD was The Bomb though.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
robertlatham1

Wow, that is one cool set up and ride! Pretty snappy now? My KLR650 was torquey but not quick, really.

I know all about needing the other lights, for sure! I tried to ride my KLR on an unlit mountain gravel road one night. Went about 400 yards, tried to make two "blank and dark" totally blind turns and headed back for the campsite!

Can you now see to the sides a bit when riding late? Frame mounted headlight was one of the few engineering mistakes I thing that Kawi made on that otherwise great bike, plus needing the doohicky for the valve train.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This one was fun too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still have my KZ750E1. Has 68,000 or so on the clock, has been tossed at least seven times, hopped up the suspension every time I bent the parts beyond repair.
I took a scope and looked at the upper end internals at 60,000 miles and everything was still tight and beautiful, compression perfect. Did oil spectro twice and no changes in 20,000 miles.
Ran perfect up until the spark went away, a thousand bucks worth of parts for a $600 bike in running condition. I really need to ante up the money for SPARK.
It was a great rat bike. Nothing flashy, all the money went into suspension and tires. Reliable as a rock until the ignition electronics turned to slag.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
This one was fun too.

[Linked Image]
Yep, that's the one that kicked my arse on that canyon road. That was a bad hombre when it came out. It was by far the best handling bike until Suzuki came out with the GSX-R.

I always thought the Interceptor was a great looking bike.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I loved the look of that bike. Ever since I saw a picture of Freddy Spenser's race version I always had wanted one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Harley XR1200 (currently own)

Okay, I've always wanted to talk to an XR1200 owner. What's your thoughts on that bike? Looks like a chit load of fun!!

My XR is bone stock except for tires and my previous bike was a ZRX1200R so it's apples and cumquats to compare.
The Kawi was fast enough I was going to get hurt or go to jail and the riding posture fit me like a glove.
I let the Kawi go as the survivability on the XR1200 is much better because it's slow by comparison.
The Harley torque is fun and it does run hard to 90 or so but runs out of breath on the highway(wishing for another gear).
In the mountains it's a blast, wide bars, good firm suspension, excellent brakes compared to any other Harley, comfortable seat and riding posture for 1up riding.
I can't keep up with the kids on crotch rockets in the twisties but I'm having more fun and am not speeding as much as I was with the Z. The XR handles twisties better than the Z at least for me. It's a fun bike.
I'm tempted to get aftermarket exhaust but would need a fuel tuner as well to adjust the fuel injection mix. I'll see how bored I am this winter!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The XR is a damn cool bike, but I don't think I could give up a ZXR 1200 for an XR...I just drool over the ZXR's. But I know what you mean about the speed. My ZZR is 175HP of CRAZY fast. I really have to be careful not to twist that throttle too much. So I totally understand where you're coming from there. If they boosted the HP up to around 95-100 and added another gear, I'll bet the XR would be perfect. As it is, it still looks like a whole lot of fun. And good looking, at least I think so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 100HP at the crankshaft, and I want MORE! Always.... MORE crazy

But you are correct that a 100HP Sport/Road Race/Flat tracker wannabe type Sportster is loads of fun and really fast enough for most.

Good power, good handling, GREAT sounding, a head turner and conversation starter as well.

In between my last post here and this one, I was shopping fat tire upgrade kits for Sporsters. Adding a 16 inch 240 tire at the rear and a 16 inch 200 out front should make the bike even more fun.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
colodog,

If you tire of your bike and want to go back to the ZXR's or such please let me know. That is one fine ride you have there.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Safariman your mail box is full! Send me a pm with e-mail.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You sir, are a man with very fine taste in Japanese motorcycles. What a fantastic list.

Hey, thanks. Check this out. Was in an ADAP the other day and a kid pulls up on it. We got to talking, and found that we had similar tastes. Built it in his apartment over the winter. Wanna' take a guess as to the powerplant?

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
850 suzuki

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good guess, B. 550 Suzuki, wearing Wonder Woman brand muffler. I asked him how many tickets he's gotten for the pipes. He said that he'd gotten none yet; when he sees JL, he goes reeeaaal easy on the hammer. wink

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Tickets for loud pipes is a foreign concept around here.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Some of us have rediscovered them,..although they've been brought up to speed, so to speak.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, has dual pot, triple disc brakes and an electronically controlled CVT.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph and doesn't waste any time getting there.

Cruises very comfortably at 90.

They have come a LONG way, haven't they!

Indeed. I see these all the time in Tokyo; they're more popular than motorcycles now, by far, if I'm not mistaken. Yo B, when are you gonna' get on to customizing yours? wink

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
lol,...my custom touches aren't so obvious.

So far, they consist of a Corbin seat, some SKF wheel bearings, and an improved primary spline adapter.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Tickets for loud pipes is a foreign concept around here.

Must be nice. You runnin' straight pipes on your HD?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
nah,..straight pipes are obnoxious and do nothing but make noise.

A 2 into 1 header is the way to go on a big twin. They're loud also, but they're making additional torque as well as noise.

As soon as I feel like dropping $600, I'm going to put a Bassani unit on my bike.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,573
Posts18,531,952
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.