Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I'm new here. Refugee from the less than popular AOCS. Hope to find a warm spot by the fire.<P>For those that don't know me, I started hunting three years ago. Started with mulies. Migrated to upland, specifically chuckar. Dabb;e in ducks and have yet to bag me a goose, but I've tried 14 times. Now, this year, I get to try my hand at elk hunting.<P>I have 4 horses lined up and two buddies who have hunted elk before...but they are 300 miles away from me and neither is online and work different hours. So...I'm looking for advice on how to make it successful.<P>I've got me a bugle call, Sceery's Bad Attitude. I don't much care for it, but I'm still trying to make it work. Any thoughts on a good call for callin them in real close in September? We plan to scout the area then. The hunt won't be until November and I know it will be a lot different. Bulls off by themselves and skidish. So...what do you do to increase your odds in November?<P>Nate

I'm new at this stuff...so I may sound silly...but rest assured...I will not stop sounding silly no matter how long I do it!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nate, welcome aboard.<P>I noticed in your thread that you didn't mention what state your hunting. I know Nevada holds some small elk populations, but I'm guessing your going elsewhere.<P>None-the-less, make sure your horses have been registered and copies of their certificates of health have been forwarded to the state you plan to hunt in. (Most states require this if outside your own). <P>I will only touch on what I think will provide a better hunt from the late October to late November rifle season. <P>I have hunted New Mexico, Wyoming (advantage, Oct. 1) and Colorado. Weather will be the number one factor in success. Is it dry?, Is it snowing?, Is the snow hard pack or nice and soft (quiet walking)?, etc. <P>First let your eyes do the work (use very good optics). Do not ride and walk aimlessly around thinking game will somehow be in the open. With hunting pressure from the past weeks, its doubtful. Elk are extremely skidish and well on guard, and know they are being sought out at these times.<P>Fortunately, they have to feed, and if it wasn't for that, you probably would never see them. My experience has been long periods of glassing and recon work pays huge dividends. <BR>Some people have a problem holding tight and glassing for hours. <P>Since your scouting in early september, you will get an idea of where the elk are coming into feed and thus leaving to bed and ruminate.<P>It is the bedding location that will pay didvidends if you can get on them heading up to their spot (especially a shootable bull).<P>If the weather dictates heavy snow, the elk will have to move down (no two ways about it) to a comfortable 6800-8000 ft. elev. Also, this could mean the difference between bagging a herd bull (4-7 years old) or a wannabe herd bull (2-1/2-3-1/2 years old), since the bad weather has a way of getting the big bulls back in the group. <P>If the weather is warm, cows and spikes and mediocre bulls will come down to feed at 7500-8500 ft and then head well back into high elevations. Last year we located elk at 11,800 feet in late October. The weather was very warm. Beware of the cow, she is the sonar, radar and parascope for the bulls. The cows and spikes will show themselves first 9 out of 10 times, with the bulls peering from the dark timber to see how the sentinals react. They depend on this for survival. <P>You are correct about herd monarchs, they absolutely get lost after the rut. Spent, weak, hungry, and paranoid as hell, they run off to the cold dark side of a mountain (usually north east side), which has heavy timber and rich lush green cover with extreme dense deadfall all around. These guys are dug in like Alabama ticks. Food, while a necessity, will be less important to travel for. They will graze a spot about a half an acre around their bedding area and feed on it for about 4 weeks. They will eat every stich of eatable forging they can find in that secluded area. You will easily recognize these type areas from the tracks, turf surface, and the clusters of bull pellets found within the 1/2 acre plot. You will have to be able to endure perhaps some long hours and distances to get to these guys, but this is where you can hit the mother load. Remember, the only thing a majestic, mature bull knows is that men are not usually up to the task of climbing, enduring, and freezing their butts off to get to that godforsaken place where they call home. <P>Set up early morning and late evening glassing on trails and the edge of clear cut openings just outside of heavy timber cover, which may present a shot at a distance. From 9:00AM to 3:00PM, push bush in heavy cover and try to do it somewhat quietly. Its amazing how much time you can spend on your stomach and back on an elk hunt. Elk bed, ruminate, and meander about at these times in heavy cover.<P>Sorry this got so windy, but it doesn't even scratch the surface as several other techniques are used.<P>Take Care and Good Luck<P>~rossi~<BR> <P><BR>

'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
Nate, just wanna tell you good luck!....ain't a lot to say after Rossi's post [Linked Image]....good advice to head.<P>If I could add only one thing,....all the scouting in the world is null and void if you will be hunting an area two months later that has been heavily pressured, so try your best to hunt ground that will see the least pressure...ie roadless, or limited entry, or overlooked honeyholes...<BR>..again, GOOD LUCK and let us know how it comes out!<BR>DS

'Slayer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just wanted to make a comment about what to expect on your first elk hunt. Rossi gave some good advice for finding good bulls. I'm sure he has some nice heads on his wall - we all want nice heads on our walls, too. But expecting to go take a 350" 6x6 monster herd bull on your first elk hunt, or even on your second or third, might be a bit of a fantasy, unless you plan to pay dearly for a guided private land hunt. Those kinds of bulls are out there, but it ain't always like they show in the magazines. <P>You have to decide what your priorities are. If you would rather go home empty handed than go home in shame with your tail between your legs and a mediocre 4 or 5pt rack in the pickup, then that's your decision. But realistically, there will be plenty of time to find that hatrack of a lifetime, after you get a few elk and some experience under your belt. I would suggest that you might want to go with the attitude that ANY branch-antlered bull on public land after the rut, on your first elk hunt no less, would be an accomplishment to be proud of. Shoot, most people would be happy with a spike on their first elk hunt. If you go home with nothing at all, you will be with the majority. That is reality.<P>I've always thought of any kind of big game hunting as a lifetime endeavor. You don't simply go out one day and GET a trophy animal. You have to commit years and be patient and pay your dues, and eventually you will learn the secrets of the elk and the land and gain knowledge and skills and it will all come together. Meanwhile, don't forget to have fun. -al

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree with EllieMae, I've only been hunting elk for about 8 or 9 yrs now. Guess how many Racks I have on my wall? Yep a big fat zer0!!! They are tough hunting. I had a big 5-pt in my sights one time, problem was it was a spike only unit. couple other times I have had spikes or forked horns present shots but I was in a 3-pt minumum area. Very frustrating to say the least. From the limited experience I have, I think Elk hunting is the most demanding I have done. I sure enjoy it though. "Elk Camp" has a special ring to me. Being able to get away and spend some time with buds. We can cuss,spit,fart and all kinds of other rude things without worry of offending anyone [Linked Image]. I can choose to eat chili every meal of the day if I like(at the risk of being 86'd from camp). There just really isn't anything I can compare it to. Deer Camp is nice, and it is fun, but it doesn't have the same magic as Elk Camp. Maybe this fall we both will get our first elk. I sure hope so. Good Luck,,BH

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get your self a good cow call. Late in November, the bulls won't be talking, but a cow call will let you cover up mistakes and stop one from a full blown stampede if not spooked to badly. Here in Colorado, I have given up hunting the opens and stick to dark timber on north slopes<P>Keep your self clean and watch the wind.( A Bic lighter works good for the wind)<P>The colder the weather, the longer they feed. Snow don't bother them until it gets at least 2 ft deep, or a hard crust on it.<P>Good luck. Remember, it's all fun until you have one on the ground.<P>

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
pick your shots carefully, patience and sportsmanship will usually outweigh the 500yd "hail marry" shot.<P>One shot, one kill....<P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First of all, after re-reading my last post, I fear it may have come off sounding like I was being sarcastic about something rossi said. That certainly wasn't my intention. I just wanted to make sure things were kept in perspective. A newbie will have a different standard for what's shootable than a seasoned elk hunter.<P>I also wanted to reiterate what a couple people have said about hunting cover. Unless you are hunting an area with very little pressure, don't expect elk to be standing around in the open after the sun rises. If the area you are hunting has much hunting pressure, expect the elk to go into cover, generally north slopes with dark timber. You might find fresh sign in ridgetop clearings, but most likely that sign was left in the middle of the night. Sometimes it seems like they go underground. It's amazing how well such a large animal can disappear. If you have snow on the ground, you've got it made, just keep the wind in your face. <P>The good news is that elk are relatively easy to sneak up on in the trees, provided you are a good stillhunter. They aren't as jumpy as deer, IMO, and 50yd shots through the trees are easy if you have a good wind (and if you can find them in the first place) .<P>Another thing to remember is that elk are roamers. They don't hang out in the same woodlot all their lives like a whitetail. If you cut fresh tracks one morning, it's very possible to follow them for 5 or 10 miles before catching up. Just something to remember. -al

N
OP Offline
N
EllieMae,<P>I understand what your saying about the odds. I didn't say I have to be successful...just want to know what to do to increase my odds. I've passed on a lot of game..,.shots I knew I couldn't take or animals I did not feel a need to kill. I get one tag, if I'm lucky and can't apply again for 5 years if I am unsuccessful or 10 years if I am successful. After 10 years, assuming I get one, I apply again and then I have no bonus points...short of the story, I probably won't get another bull elk tag for a LONG time in Nevada. Talk about beginners luck? This year was the first time I put in for the tag and I got one of 200 tags out of 8600 applications.<P>Rossi...great advice...thank you.<P>I don't plan to shoot at anything less than 5 points. Hopefully, I won't shoot a 5 point untill the end of my hunt. I'm ok with going home empty handed and it's not about going home with my tail hangin...it's just something I want to do. I don't need it, but it's something I want to do. We will be hunting for 10 days. Camping in the horse trailer. By day three we should smell like elk, don't cha think? The way the weather has been lately, I expect little snow, but what is there will most likely be crusty. I'll be shooting a 7mmRemMag so 500 yard shots are doable, but I usually don't take more than a 300 yard shot. If it's the last day and I still have an unfilled tag and that's the only shot afforded and there is NO wind...welll...maybe...LOL<P>Nate

I'm new at this stuff...so I may sound silly...but rest assured...I will not stop sounding silly no matter how long I do it!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow! One elk every ten years. We can shoot two per year here (one must be a cow). Is all elk hunting in NV that restrictive, or is this some kind of special draw? -al

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Al. <P>I understand perfectly the point you were trying to make. Perhaps I should just elaborate on a few things from above. In know way did I want to give the impression that a 2 to 3-1/2 year old bull wasn't a fine take. Everyone who hunts or has hunted elk know that because of emmence pressure, they are one of the toughest and saviest animals to bag and claim.<P>Essentially, the decision to go after herd monarchs, which are isolated and hard as hell to locate (but they are out there); or stick with the feeder packs, is up to the hunter.<P>The feeder packs will predominately consist of several cows and spikes, who will show themselves early morning and late evening by moving for food. <P>I think you could have very good luck in a limited tag hunt in Nevada just focusing on these feeder groups. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me that you may find a few 3 to 5 year old bulls moving with the herd.<P>Above, I was pointing out how the old dogs survive to be 4 to 8 years old in heavy hunting pressure states like the ones I hunt and mentioned above. Years of pressure have changed the way big bulls conduct their social behavior. This is not to uncommon for any species, as big whitetails (5+years old) rarely show themselves in the daylight. <P>Again, I am not familiar with the season layout in Nevada, the pressure they may face and how they react to it. Sounds like the limited tag will put the ball in your court. <P>Your very lucky Nate, your one of the 2% of hunters chosen in the field of applicants. Heck, if I were you, I may want start some serious gambling in Reno and maybe work my way down and clean out Vegas at the same time. [Linked Image]<P>Remember attitude and perserverence are what separate hunters from the rest of the pack. Win or lose out there, just give it your best shot (hey, thats a pun I think).<P>Best of Luck<BR>~rossi~

'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
......Nate...by day 3 , you may smell like something, but it probably won't be elk! [Linked Image]<BR>....it's days 4, 5, and 6 that the blisters come!.....your feet will bleed, and you best have a pack of bandaids......then you'll be goood to go! [Linked Image]...good luck, you lucky dog!<BR>DS

'Slayer
O
O
GREAT reply Rossi....I am first timer this year as well (previously a flatlander of South Dakota/Iowa), so I will put that info to use!<P>

N
N
LOL on the bandaids, Slayer. I;ve got an entire first aid kit with more than just bandaids (I'm kinda accident prone). Rest assurd though...I don't get blisters on my feet. Little warrier than that.<P>EllieMae,<P>It is a limited draw process in Nevada. 350 or so tags issued state wide this year. Most of them were in the area I will be hunting. The herds in the eastern part of the state are in good shape becuase of aggressive management. But, the habitat can only support so many animals. I doubt we will ever get to over the counter tags sales or more than one CHANCE per ten years.<P>Rossi,<P>I am not a gambling man...it uses up too much of that luck I hold so dear. I used to gamble when I first moved here. I managed to win enough at blackjack to pay off a 3600 dollar debt I owed my dad one night. Tossed the chips on his dining room table and never gambled again. Quit while your ahead if you ever get there...right?<P>I sure hope I get this bull early so I can go chuckar hunting...it sounds like my little grey friends are easier to chase.<P>Nate

I'll try to be civil if you'll agree that I'm always right...otherwise...welll...life bites sometimes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rossi, -- just read this thread today and you gave the best advice I have seen on any board. I have spent a day or two in the field and when i hunt elk, it's for meat, the horns wont fit in a skillet or pressure cooker which you better have for beans above 7000'. Personally, I want a slick black dry cow to eat but if only a bull tag, first sucker I see with legal horns get's it because I hunt National Forest or BLM land in Colorado. After sunrise it's dark timber time unless snow and very cold then it's South side and oak brush, I don't mean waist high stuff it's 15-18' tall and a bunch of white face can be holed up anywhere in it. as you know there are patches of clear area with grass all through the stuff. WATER!!, is the key anywhere you hunt, summer, winter, hunting pressure, whatever, find good water, stream, spring, pond, and the animals will be in the vicinity. The mountains can get very dry at times, like very cold weather, everything is solid. <BR>-- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'd advise Nate to continue his non gambling ways, beside the elk tag he managed to score 2 turkeys on his first hunt this spring. You don't want to waste luck like that for mere money. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]
N
N
Slamfire...nice to see a familiar face. Just to set the record streight, I got ONE turkey after two days of hunting. I was going to go back for a second since I had a remaining tag, but I decided to slam some bass and got addicted to that. If I had eyes in the back of my head, I could have had another turkey though...LOL<P>Nate

I like to ask question as if to make myself appear stupid...that way, I avoid all posibilities of being held responsible!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So how come you posted two pictures, and asked how to clean a bird after posting the first? Implying there was a second.<P>Catch you at the MS [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nate Smith:<BR><STRONG>LOL on the bandaids, Slayer. I;ve got an entire first aid kit with more than just bandaids (I'm kinda accident prone). Rest assurd though...I don't get blisters on my feet. Little warrier than that.<BR> <BR>Nate</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Don't count yer cluckers a'fore theyr'e hatched there <B>Nate</B>. I didn't get blisters on my feet either until I started hunting elk. If you have to cover the kind of country that we have here in Colorado, you can bet on blisters after six or seven days and 50 miles of hiking. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Good luck to ya and hunt the timber. <P>Larry

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Larry's right Nate.... It's called a "blister kit". Write it down... ask for it by name!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.