Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
...compared to this guy. We're friends and have been for some years, but have not ever fished together (soon, I hope). Timing has never panned out, much to my great dismay.

Anyway, in these waters with this kind of blue water offshore game, you just can't much plan to take a trip ahead of time. Both windows of w/x and opportune conditions (including winds, currents, biomass presence, water temps, eddies, temp breaks, etc., etc.) that will likely yield good fishing are few and sometimes far between, more so as the season advances.

I consider myself both a pretty serious and reasonably capable fisherman, but I am but an amateur in the face kind of a *very serious* and dedicated dude like LB here. The truly vast knowledge, the experience and expertise it takes to do what LB and his f/v Skipjack does, well, the man's in a whole different league than most, including some who fish for a living, commercially and/or professionally.

To be able to read and analyze and study ocean conditions and w/x data and make calls on running far in a window based on personal predictions, sometimes when his call is far different than what, say, NOAA, is calling for?

That's some scholarly stuff, putting in YEARS of studying an insane amount of atmospheric and w/x and marine data and learning it well enough to be able to process it all and be able to take all the time, effort and expense--not to the mention the serious responsibility of keeping himself and his crew safe-- and then round up the lads to make a run.

Anyone can catch a few fish sometimes. But to *conistently* score on big game caliber fish--many species specifically targeted for a trip-- even when the bite is slow for others? That ain't luck, kids.

These are NOT my pics, but thought I'd share some. Hey STX, Doc, EH and Ed, ya recognize any of the crew? Bunch of degenerate fishing bums...

smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Skipjack/backmanpic2_zpse890c8ed.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Skipjack/backmanpic6_zps45a289b7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Skipjack/backmanpic1_zps8a13569b.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding! I know a few folks who are passionate about one thing, and they have become THE consumate experts at that one thing. JJhack from here is that way. Looks like fun for sure.

Would this be the boat and skipper with and from which you hope to harpoon a tuna?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
P.S. LB does not run charters, is not a sponsored captain and is not paid or make a nickel from his fishing. He does it for the sheer love of it. That's part of what makes what he has done, and continues to do, so very cool.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds to me that LB is one of those who doesn't fit into any "Box".
e.g. ...you're lucky to have him aboard !
Fck "boxes," anyway.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/01/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
KG,

Your posts are always interesting and fun to read. Thank you for another great post. Best wishes.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ha. Well said. Hard not to like and appreciate words such as these:

"The magic of sunrise and sunset in the wilderness 120 miles offshore. If only there were a way to capture the 360 degree dome of light and color as the sky and water go through a progression that he eye and mind can see and feel, but the camera can only approximate.

I don't go to the canyons to catch fish anymore; I go to experience and see the poetry of the sun, the sea and the sky."

--LB, a couple days ago.

I also dig the types of goals he sets, and the kinds of things that he values. He wrote of the experience below, lots of years after his initial quest, was one of his 'bucket list' entries. It had nothing to do with hooking fish...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Much appreciated, friend Lester. Hope that you and yours are keeping well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

KG, thanks for another nice read. Always on top.

Take care have a good weekend.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wow KG!

That kid in the first pic laying on the deck sure looks happy. Did you guys throw him back in? grin

Seriously, I expect to see some of the same pics with YOUR boat in them!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Now that is a fisherman! Any of those would make for a "once in a lifetime" trip.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great story, Kamo.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great photos smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
HEY MICKEY

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F'in a right!
Outstanding fishies!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What an epic bunch of fish!!

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin Yes I do! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Wahoo like that is on my bucket list...

shocked

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
A Wahoo like that is on my bucket list...

shocked

You and me both. We don't get many in these waters anyway, but a slob like that is a serious score no matter where you hook one!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dewd I love yer posts. That is incredible.

We're headed out there a week from Sunday. Rented a place on the Cape for a week, then heading to Acadia for a few nights. Never been to New England but your posts make it pretty darned appealing!

Won't be able to fish, but excited for crabbing and relaxing in such gorgeous surroundings!

Thanks a lot for sharing Gari,

Efw

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, makes my rock and white fish from last weekend look like bait!

Sean
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (325wsm1, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 17 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.