[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot placement and bullet performance= dead critters. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the big cased slower twist hot rod 224's for dramatic fireworks upon various rodents and normal/moderate range. A 36gr Barnes Varmint grenade at 4400fps, when impacting a beldens ground squirrel gives you merely a pink cloud in your scope view upon impact. 55-60gr BT's, V-MAx and similar at 3900-4000 are wonderful rock chuck killers out to 500 or so yards. That is about as far away as I care to shoot, personally.

All that said, I do now have an 8 twist 220 Swift and a few boxes of Horny 75's in the gun room to try out soon. Have a Burris Signature 6-24 AO Gloss scope with target turrets to put atop it. Might have it punched out to 220 WBY Rocket first, though. It is rather old school Weatherby in looks and design with a blueprinted Mauser heart and Maple/Rosewood stock etc. Should be fun to see what those A MAx 75's can do with some 50 or so grains of oomph behind 'em.

And whichever way one goes and likes to shoot, hunt etc. I do not ever get in a "Laffin" mode as each of us has different goals and parameters and experiences. My Experience runs the gamut from many thousands of varmint blow ups, up to and through Elephant, Brown Bear, Cape Buff, and others of the worlds biggest and baddest creatures. And loads of stuff in between in the US and Africa. Custom rifles owned runs into the dozens, easily but if I have info or experience to share, I do it with a modicum of respect shown to my fellow hunters and shooters and offer it only as MY personal experience and view, not with any thought that my experience is worthy of worship as gospel or the only way to get from point A to point B.

At the peak of my career, when I was pullin down $20K /month regularly, I had the ability to play with them all, and hunt them all. I like what I like for my reasons and do not need anyone else to declare them 'smart' or "the"way. They are my way, and that is good enough for me. I do prefer CRF actions and good wood. But have had plenty of plastic and stainless as well. Guys here like Botch Lambert and others who have a plethora of fine wood stocked hunting rifles are highly succesful men and they like what they like for thier reasons. To call them, or any of us whose tastes or experience "gals" or Dumb_____'s or be pretend laughing makes the poster, not the target, look quite idiotic, rude and far too full of one's self.

Run what you like, I like the DRT/Bangflops of extreme speed though have used (and use) the others ways as well. It is all about having FUN! Something sometimes lost here. So long as a rifle owner is having fun, and getting the jobs done that he or she needs and wants to get done, with the tools that they like to use, it is all good. VERY good.

Blessings and Blood to you all,

Safariman

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

UBER laffin.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer,
I like and use the 6mm Rem. and the 220 Swift.
I dont seem to have any problems with Magazine lenght restrictions?
From L. to R.6mm Rem 105 Amax. 243W. 105 Amax.[Linked Image]

L. to R. 220 Swift, 80gr.Amax., 22-250, 80 gr. Amax

[Linked Image]
Of course mine are in Mauser 3.300 magazines.
Of course the 6mm Rem. is based on the 7x57 Mauser, a round designed for the 98 action, perfect fit! Hmmm, maybe mister Mauser knew a few things, way back when?
Of course your magazine restrictions are based on Rem. M700 mag lengths.
You often mention bullets matter more than headstamps. I agree!
As long as the case feeds well, fit's the action with room to seat bullets, achieves desired velocity etc... I see no downside to using them.
The 6mm Rem has essentially the same capacity as your 243A.I.
The Swift matches the 22-250 A.I.

My Mausers are twisted 1/8 in both the Swift and 6mm, no disadvantage there with the VLD type bullets.
Many different ways to skin a cat.

Now we could argue all day long of the merits of each design.
But I do know the 98 doesn't have some of the advantages the M700 has!
Such as bolt handles falling off!

[Linked Image]

Or discharging when the safety is disengaged, notice the firing pin on the 98 is blocked by solid steel, unlike the 700 and it's trigger blocking P.O.S.

[Linked Image]

Oh and lets not leave out the extractor! Now this is an extractor! Replaceable in the field I might add.
[Linked Image]

Oh almost forgot the fish pic's. I know this has nothing too do with Mag. lengths, action merits etc... but it does prove I got off the couch!
Seems to be the proper protocol with your post though?
crazy

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/irfubar/IMG_0901_zpsd7f8a86a.jpg[/img]

We also need the G.Loomis, custom knife pics! crazy

[img]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/irfubar/maglength006_zps9abb07f2.jpg[/img]

I know I need to work on my insults, crazy talk, i.e., blurtitude, wow+p+,dumbphucktitude,imaginary pretend, etc...

Oh and I don't have any pic's of rifles in creeks lying next to feesh etc... Oh well. smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'nm,

Sweetie...do not slight your INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqqery,if only because it is both EPIC and oblivious. Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

I asked a simple question and I repeat:

"Now say sumptin' about the particulars of that piece of [bleep] schit,in regards to who's barrel,it's twist rate,throat geometry,COAL and how you use implement "all" them 22-6mm "advantages",with your wicked set-up and vivid [bleep] Imagination and all that Pretend?!?"

That madeja' a leetle uneasy,so you went to Dinks,Rats and Ladies...then other schitty rifles,schitty glass and schitty boolits. Laffin'!

"Tell" me about a 6-284. Aren't they overbore?!? Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

.530BC at 3325fps,1-8" #3 Brux,20MOA Badger clip-slotted/double lugged 1913 3.5-10x M1,Sako Hunter,Atlas DBM Alpha fed kisses,yada,yada,yada.

500yds+ Shoulders-B-Gone Spray...never took a [bleep] step,mainly because he couldn't. You know,the usual. Oooops,no you don't.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

PLEASE do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Wow +P+!

Safari',

UBER [bleep] Bonus Points,if you can conjure enough Imagination and/or Pretend,to find me mistaken.

Be sure and shoot for the [bleep] stars.

Laffin'!

URFUBAR,

I'll feign my "surprise",that the "best" Rifle Treatise you could muster,is a Turd Polisher's Swan Song on how schit floats. Congratulations?!?

Now your turn. Which barrel,length,contour,throat? Then touch a wee bit on bases/rings/scopes,muse come-ups and stocks is always funnier than [bleep] too. Laffin'! Looking forward to the Whine and Excuses,as you come up with sumptin' as to why you couldn't quite dangle a peecture of the "prizes" in their full "splendor". Re-laffin'!

I'll mention if only in passing,that I've not shot out more than (5) 7-08 spouts on a single 700 receiver and patiently await a bolt handle to leave the scene. Have only shot 500 pounds of Re-15 alone,through 700's.

I appreciate your "telling" me "all" about case capacity and COAL. [bleep] WOW+P+! The Mouser Ruse was a [bleep] hoot!!

Couple few birds and one stone.

1-8" #3 Brux 243AI,2.785" 105HPBT 3200fps kiss and mebbe even some "room" on the erector. Laffin'!

Aforementioned Dick Rifle.

Aforementioned Samtucky.

Montucky Dick Rifle,Liljee contour/length dupe 1-8",75's at 3450fps again and lotsa remaining erector.

Just sayin'...and I know,I know your Mousers are really SOMETHING.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

You Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqqs are amazing,in your ineptitude. Here's to your incredibly loooongggg list of WELLfounded insecurities and the happenstance that Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can UBER "contribute".

Lemme touch on a few of 'em for you,in one fell swoop,if only to eek another Whine and more excuses outta you. Laffin'!

Sage,Curado,PP,Chameleon,Montucky,'22,162's,Reupold turrets and Ingram(for subtension).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just ohhhhhhhh soooooooooo WOW...you poor,poor STUPID [bleep].

Good talk!

(Addendum: For the Secret Squirrel Drooling Dumbfhuqq)

'nm,

You really get after it. Laffin'!

Now lemme again fuel your Imagination,if only to re-bolster your Pretend,in the HOPE that you and poor,poor [bleep] stupid URFUBAR form another Axis Of Imagination and go full [bleep] Mall Ninja. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

700 VS setback and punched 22-250AI,lopped to 20",fluted and squirtin' F/F 50 smooches,on top of '15. DNZ/3.5-10x non-A/O and a smidge prolly remaining on the erector. Loomis,REVO,PP,Chameleon,Sampo and Owner. Google it. Laffin'!

Hint.

You gals really "know" your "stuff".

Laffin'!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
It kills coyotes.
[Linked Image]

wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave

UBER laffin.

Glad I could provide you with some entertainment there. I think I did mention something in my posts here from time to time about folks who are so small minded and insecure as to have to laugh at or demean others to feel good. It does not look good or wear well on the person laughing or demeaning.

Here is an idea for us all:

How about if we just talk about the various cartridges and rifles (and barrels and twists and stocks and triggers)that are brought up here and share OUR opinions and experiences and viewpoints, and let the OP and other readers make up their minds about the value of each post and view/opinion without stooping so low as to call another person names whose views are different?

It is a great way to live and makes a conversation board like this one immensely more fun for everyone.

My Mausers and lower BC but well constructed bullets have worked quite well for me, no pretend needed:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course the slower, High BC and awsome sectional density of some projectiles cannot be argued as to effectiveness,

[Linked Image]

On somewhat smaller animals, massive doses of impact velocity can work, too (My dad a few years ago with me on Safari. 7mm RemMag, 120gr TSX, non vitals hit but dead right there with no tracking needed:
[Linked Image]

I have to admit here though, that I have been known - where legal - to use bait to lure animals in close so that I could reach them with my inferior ultra high speed bullets and such. Bait here being my Clark Cable looks and a piece of toast grin
[Linked Image]

Too bad this guy didn't know that a 300 UltraMag was vastly inferior to a 308 for cross canyon shots on elk, had he known he might still be alive today:

[Linked Image]

Had this little guy known I was using an ultrafast, long barreled 257WBY with low BC Barnes bullets, rather than a 25/08 or 257 Roberts twisted 1 in 7, he probably would have just shrugged off the puny bullet I was using and laughingly walked on after the does he was chasin

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/buck1.jpg[/img]

Oh yeah, apx 2,000lbs worth of Eland, not aware that a 308 was the proper medicine over my 300 Ultra on this long shot taken
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/eland.jpg[/img]

And who would have known, before the internet, that a 300 Ultra would work so well on smaller creatures, too!

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/impala.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/klipspringer.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/wildebeastbull.jpg[/img]

Have to admit, however, that I have been know to slum a push feed rifle from time to time. Wish I had this one back:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/cadboat257wbytruckpics026.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/cadboat257wbytruckpics031.jpg[/img]

My point to all of this is....

We and our opinions are all moulded and made by our own particular places hunted, where we live, how we hunt, what we hunt for and some other external factors sometimes like nostalgia, memories, adding some style to a hunt maybe with a cool old Model 71 or 99 etc. Whatever caused these opinions to be formed, - and I have admitted before that if I lived and hunted SE AK year 'round like some here do I would likely be as fond of plastic and stainless as they are - EACH of our opinions and viewpoints are as valid as they need to be for us. And, they all have usefullness and weight, given to them by the OP's and readers here and hopefully based upon the real and actual experiences of the poster or his credentials.

No need for pretending, but there should be a modicum of decorum, manners and respect shown to each other here.

I do not call names or demean others, merely share a differing view or point, based upon the facts as I know or see them and have experienced them.

My preferences and experiences are different form some folks, but are based in real world events and many years with many hunts and varmint shooting excursions.

As I said before, use what you like that works, and have FUN in so doing!

And, talking down to another human being here or othersiwse is a huge reflection on the charachter (or lack thereof) of the person posting the laughs or put downs than it is of the person being called whatever name. We make ourself look quite the fool by trying to do that to others. THAT, really IS quite simple and an iron clad truth to take home and put n the bank.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 22-6mm and the 6mm-06 both prick my interest.

I don't have enuff vermin for any varmint rifle but I think the 22-6mm would be hot stuff.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Glad I could provide you with some entertainment there. I think I did mention something in my posts here from time to time about folks who are so small minded and insecure as to have to laugh at or demean others to feel good. It does not look good or wear well on the person laughing or demeaning."

Does it look/feel good to constantly post up your complete UBERNESS.......and brag about the 20k a month, the "animals all over the world" you've killed, the safaris you masterminded, the high dollar rifles you've owned...blah, blah, blah.
Whoops, all that schit is gone......
Karma?

Then you think you have a place saying this...

"How about if we just talk about the various cartridges and rifles (and barrels and twists and stocks and triggers)that are brought up here and share OUR opinions and experiences and viewpoints, and let the OP and other readers make up their minds about the value of each post and view/opinion without stooping so low as to call another person names whose views are different?"

I love it.

Then you spout again.....

"And, talking down to another human being here or othersiwse is a huge reflection on the charachter (or lack thereof) of the person posting the laughs or put downs than it is of the person being called whatever name. We make ourself look quite the fool by trying to do that to others. THAT, really IS quite simple and an iron clad truth to take home and put n the bank."

Re-laffin.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
The 22-6mm and the 6mm-06 both prick my interest.

I don't have enuff vermin for any varmint rifle but I think the 22-6mm would be hot stuff.

It surely would, but benefits from AI treatment in the longevity of the brass and saving lots of time having to trim brass or not. Getting to a poiint of diminishing returns as to more powder and more velocity, but the brass issues make the straightening out of the case worth it. Plus, the 22/6mmAI (and especially with a Moly coated plastic tipped bullet sticking out) LOOKS just wicked as can be. And for varmints to medium game, it is.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Boxer
[/IMG
[/URL]
[Linked Image]

Ain't gunna argue ballistics with expurts (I know, good call on my part...) I do love the grandpa buck pic everytime I sees it though

Charlie

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
safari',

I'll UBER feign my "surprise",that you are UBER unable to find me mistaken. I do not speak opinion,I speak facts and matter of factly...if only because facts UBER matter. UBER hint.

Noone can "make" an UBER Stupid [bleep] look more UBER Stupid,than the very UBER Stupid [bleep] that's UBER Whining about same. Now I'd UBER suggest,that they UBER shut the [bleep] up,UBER take notes and UBER apply same,if only because it will UBER help their game. UBER Re-hint.

I'll graciously leads folks to UBER water,but admittedly get a UBER kick outta watching them UBER refrain and make an UBER stand,based on their UBER [bleep] Stupidity.

No slighting how UBER [bleep] foolish you are,though I UBER [bleep] hope you keep doing your UBER "best",if only because it is soooooooooo UBER [bleep] funny.

UBER laughing and that's no UBER schit.

UBER [bleep] WOW,plus UBER [bleep] pee. UBER [bleep] Pun,UBER [bleep] intended.

UBER laffin'!

jwall,

Do tell...are you "thinking" that you are "in" on this one?!? In fairness,you assuredly are NOT,if only as per your always. Read that again. Then one more time. Laffin'!

"Thinking" ain't your gig Toots. Bless your heart.

Just sayin'.

'slave,

You are UBER mean,for UBER truth and it is...UBER [bleep] funny!

Laffin'!

'05,

Facts ain't much fun to argue,butcha' just gotta laugh at The Clueless Drooling Dumb [bleep] doing the best they can,with what incredibly [bleep] little they have to work with. I'm on the ropes.(grin)

"Surprisingly",they all give an UBER wide berth to Rifle "particulars" and glass,which arranges their UBER delusions. Pretty UBER [bleep] funny schit!

Admittedly,when I was filming that Hunt and pushed the shutter on the aftermath,I knowed it were an INSTANT Classic.

Good stuff and on many levels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have made my point, in so many ways. Thank you! I mean, UBER Thank You! grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I admit to being clueless, I only drool under specific conditions (not to be mentioned on a family site, excepting my 3day tuna trip outta Newport next week). That pic is a Classic...hope this finds yous and yours welll
Charlie

Last edited by chas05; 08/01/14. Reason: Phhhhuking ipad

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
You have made my point, in so many ways. Thank you! I mean, UBER Thank You! grin

Yep, Boxer just makes himself more irrelevant every time he post his drivel.

Last edited by irfubar; 08/02/14.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Safari--

Not having many varmints I do have a very good 22 WM for close range and an excellent 6mm R for longer range or larger vermin.

In the 6mm I and a friend use Speer's 75 HP. It's not sleek with a high BC for long range BUT neither he nor I have had a single exit hole in hides of coyotes. He lives @ 180 mi. from me in NW Ar and has plenty of 'yotes'. I have killed a few with that combo, but living there he has had many more opportunities than I. He's a pretty god shot as well and has killed many more coyotes than I have w/Speer 75 HPs. They are devastating, some would describe them as zephyrs, and 'splode' inside coyotes w/o exiting.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not yet tried that bullet, would have been a good one in my old 6/284.

Like I said in my rather long thread, if it works for you in the areas you hunt and for the game you are pointing it at and the range you are shooting, then Screw the BC, SD and all of the other ballistic gak that we all spout and go kill stuff.

The bullets for my old 348AI and my current 416Rigby do not have great BC's, the rifleing twist on both rifles is a tad slow, (1 in 16 for the Rigby) but the bullets they propel flat out WORK.

And (here is the real point) I do not need to call you any names nor demean, doubt or defraud you or your position and experience.
Keep killin the Yotes, even if you find that old fishing wieghts are the best projectile for your yotes in your rifle and where you live. Most of all, have FUN and keep it all light. This ain't life, it is just a hobby.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That put the �BER into �BER AI.
Holy balls, my sides hurt.
Good schit.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
safari',

I'm still UBER feigning my "surprise".

Prolly a real GOOD [bleep] call to refrain musing how you "arrange" POA/POI intersections,because it was gonna get UBER [bleep] funny,UBER [bleep] fast...as you waxed eloquent on your UBER [bleep] guessing.

UBER Bless your heart.

UBER laffin'!

'5,

Never have seen a single Tuna...but have often seen a [bleep] deck load of same.(grin) Prick bastards scarred me for Life,as I get so carried away having fun,that my hands were sliced/diced from yarding 150# mono on snubbers. Might even be fun.

Coupla more days of work and then I'll start whittlin' away on 5 months of Deer Season...it's rough.(grin)

URFUBAR,

I'm very much enjoying your Whine and the Excuses are a [bleep] hoot! Congratulations?!?

You were really doing "great" there for a spell,gettin' all Mouser Technical. Rather enjoyed you doing your best on particulars with a coupla dummy rounds in an abandoned bottom,yet you just couldn't quite connect dots in revealing them contrived pieces of [bleep] schit's,full "splendor". Laffin'!

Again,say a leetle sumptin' about barrel Make,twist,throat,contour,stocks,mounts,rings and glass,then a smidge on how your Imagination allows you to Pretend about POA/POI intersections on them Wicked Wares. Laffin'!

You Do Nothing Day Dreaming Dumb [bleep] are a gawdamned riot!!!

UBER dare for you,to PLEASE find me "mistaken" you Whining Clueless Kchunt and I'll happily take the time to rub your nose even further in your [bleep] Stupidity.

Wow +P.

'wall,

You utterly Clueless [bleep],is there no end to your incredible Stupidity?!?

Jeezus [bleep] whats next,a Jwall Reloading Tutorial,so you can wax eloquent on the sweet "satisfactions" that are your's,as you put just the "right" amount of food coloring in your SuperSoaker?!?

Still wondering who dresses you and chews your food for you.

Wow.

'slave,

It is an interesting constant,that all one needs to do is supply slack on the rope and then set back and watch The Show.

This pass is admittedly UBER Awesome!

UBER laffin'!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.