Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lots of interesting information being passed around here.

I just wish everybody wasn't so timid and would express their positions more forcefully. whistle

I have been studying the data that Hornady has for the .22-6mm and if you use a fast twist for the LR benefits of the 75 and 80 grain AMAX and follow their seating suggestions (2.870) you are going to play hob getting a short action magazine like the 700 Remington to work right (i.e. have to replace the mag box, etc).

A fast twist .22/250 would be a better mouse trap, or so it seems to me, in that regard.

Now, just for fun and to to add to the kerfuffle grin, a fast twist .243/243 AI or 6Mm/6mmAI, built on a Tikka T3 action using the .30/06 length magazines and the 105 AMAX might be something to look at.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
URFUBAR,

I'm very much enjoying your Whine and the Excuses are a [bleep] hoot! Congratulations?!?

You were really doing "great" there for a spell,gettin' all Mouser Technical. Rather enjoyed you doing your best on particulars with a coupla dummy rounds in an abandoned bottom,yet you just couldn't quite connect dots in revealing them contrived pieces of [bleep] schit's,full "splendor". Laffin'!

Again,say a leetle sumptin' about barrel Make,twist,throat,contour,stocks,mounts,rings and glass,then a smidge on how your Imagination allows you to Pretend about POA/POI intersections on them Wicked Wares. Laffin'!

You Do Nothing Day Dreaming Dumb [bleep] are a gawdamned riot!!!

UBER dare for you,to PLEASE find me "mistaken" you Whining Clueless Kchunt and I'll happily take the time to rub your nose even further in your [bleep] Stupidity.

Wow +P.

Boxer,
Normally I would enjoy nothing more than sharing what has worked for me and what I have learned over the years.

But you aren't worth conversing with, you need to learn how to behave when dealing with other people.

Most normal people learn those skills during childhood.
You are either mentally ill, a very slow learner, or who knows what?
Either way you aren't worth my time. whistle

oh and by the way you argue like a liberal, avoid the substance of the conversation and attack the person, and you think you are smart? Laffin! laugh

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
The 22-6mm and the 6mm-06 both prick my interest.

I don't have enuff vermin for any varmint rifle but I think the 22-6mm would be hot stuff.
Jwall,I just use the .22-6mm for coyotes. Basically October-February and 6-10 rounds more-or-less.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'bear,

Entertaininger than [bleep] and funnier than [bleep],both. It's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't,as The Paper Hat Brigade loves to perpetually reiterate,obliviously. Laffin'!

The 57mm MOUSER hull is an EPIC Goat [bleep] and easily skirted and Trumped,in all regards. That in COAL,capacity,logistics and cost...if "only" for starters.(grin)

I've read nice reports of fast twist 22-250/AI's. Laffin'!

If going .473" L/A,I'd cut to the [bleep] chase and simply go 6-06. The Tikka is no prize,but it's viable in said platform,less fanfare. You could take a Tikka 243Win(1-10" in their infinite "wisdom") and punch it 6-06AI or 6-284,as both would clean up their OEM mess. A true 10" with that velocity increase,will letcha' pinwheel 105'Max's...as I've threaded that needle in both 6mmAI and 6-284. Hint.

It's all about connecting the most dots and looking at the beeg picture. Pass the 1-8" Montucky 6-06 and hold the Fluff.(grin)

URFUBAR,

You poor poor AMAZINGLY Stupid Clueless Kchunt...I'll UBER feign my "surprise",that "your" Phantom Goat [bleep] and all their "splendor" just ain't gonna quite [bleep] materialize,because you got Hurt Feelers. WOW!!!

I'm crying laughing sooooooooooo [bleep] hard!!!

You are doing "GREAT" and came real "close" to citing your Imaginary Pretend "particulars". Laffin'!

Sweetheart there's nothing to "argue". You are talking out your ass about those things you "know" the least about and I'm simply afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess. Curiously enough...I do not feel compelled to apologize for that most "unfair" of advantages,as you writhe feverishly in your blatant Dumbfhuqqery.

It's your Imagination there Toots,Pretend with it however you NEED...just keep doing so aloud.

You "hard chargers" are a [bleep] riot!

Good talk.

Laffin'!

'nm,

Barrel,twist,glass,mounts,POA/POI correlations...do tell.

Be SURE and use as much Imagination and Pretend as you deem requisite,to knock 'er outta da' [bleep] Park,with them Tales.

Laffin'!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If going .473" L/A,I'd cut to the [bleep] chase and simply go 6-06. The Tikka is no prize,but it's viable in said platform,less fanfare. You could punch a Tikka 243Win(1-10" in their infinite "wisdom") and punch it 6-06AI or 6-284,as both would clean up their OEM mess. A true 10" with that velocity increase,will letcha' pinwheel 105'Max's...as I've threaded that needle in both 6mmAI and 6-284. Hint.

The 6/06AI or 6/284 would be interesting and you can get Lapua brass for the 06 and 6-5.284 to neck down. HMMMM...

I have a .243 T3 Lite that is super accurate and kills the ever lovin schitt out of our deer with the 95 grain NBT.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by wageslave

UBER laffin.

Glad I could provide you with some entertainment there. I think I did mention something in my posts here from time to time about folks who are so small minded and insecure as to have to laugh at or demean others to feel good. It does not look good or wear well on the person laughing or demeaning.

Here is an idea for us all:

How about if we just talk about the various cartridges and rifles (and barrels and twists and stocks and triggers)that are brought up here and share OUR opinions and experiences and viewpoints, and let the OP and other readers make up their minds about the value of each post and view/opinion without stooping so low as to call another person names whose views are different?

It is a great way to live and makes a conversation board like this one immensely more fun for everyone.

My Mausers and lower BC but well constructed bullets have worked quite well for me, no pretend needed:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course the slower, High BC and awsome sectional density of some projectiles cannot be argued as to effectiveness,

[Linked Image]

On somewhat smaller animals, massive doses of impact velocity can work, too (My dad a few years ago with me on Safari. 7mm RemMag, 120gr TSX, non vitals hit but dead right there with no tracking needed:
[Linked Image]

I have to admit here though, that I have been known - where legal - to use bait to lure animals in close so that I could reach them with my inferior ultra high speed bullets and such. Bait here being my Clark Cable looks and a piece of toast grin
[Linked Image]

Too bad this guy didn't know that a 300 UltraMag was vastly inferior to a 308 for cross canyon shots on elk, had he known he might still be alive today:

[Linked Image]

Had this little guy known I was using an ultrafast, long barreled 257WBY with low BC Barnes bullets, rather than a 25/08 or 257 Roberts twisted 1 in 7, he probably would have just shrugged off the puny bullet I was using and laughingly walked on after the does he was chasin

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/buck1.jpg[/img]

Oh yeah, apx 2,000lbs worth of Eland, not aware that a 308 was the proper medicine over my 300 Ultra on this long shot taken
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/eland.jpg[/img]

And who would have known, before the internet, that a 300 Ultra would work so well on smaller creatures, too!

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/impala.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/klipspringer.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/wildebeastbull.jpg[/img]

Have to admit, however, that I have been know to slum a push feed rifle from time to time. Wish I had this one back:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/cadboat257wbytruckpics026.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/cadboat257wbytruckpics031.jpg[/img]

My point to all of this is....

We and our opinions are all moulded and made by our own particular places hunted, where we live, how we hunt, what we hunt for and some other external factors sometimes like nostalgia, memories, adding some style to a hunt maybe with a cool old Model 71 or 99 etc. Whatever caused these opinions to be formed, - and I have admitted before that if I lived and hunted SE AK year 'round like some here do I would likely be as fond of plastic and stainless as they are - EACH of our opinions and viewpoints are as valid as they need to be for us. And, they all have usefullness and weight, given to them by the OP's and readers here and hopefully based upon the real and actual experiences of the poster or his credentials.

No need for pretending, but there should be a modicum of decorum, manners and respect shown to each other here.

I do not call names or demean others, merely share a differing view or point, based upon the facts as I know or see them and have experienced them.

My preferences and experiences are different form some folks, but are based in real world events and many years with many hunts and varmint shooting excursions.

As I said before, use what you like that works, and have FUN in so doing!

And, talking down to another human being here or othersiwse is a huge reflection on the charachter (or lack thereof) of the person posting the laughs or put downs than it is of the person being called whatever name. We make ourself look quite the fool by trying to do that to others. THAT, really IS quite simple and an iron clad truth to take home and put n the bank.

Great pics Safariman. The Elephant is the trump card though. Not many can show a pic of them posing with Tembo.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,Safarimans Africa pics are worth drooling over.

Like to go back and get an Elephant,Cape buffalo and Leopard,along with Eland and a smatterin' of various species. smile

Forgot to add,would love to get a bull elk like that!

Last edited by elkhunternm; 08/02/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Respectable loonies buy what they're drooling for, and couldn't GAF what the comparison numbers look like. Nothing rational about it. That said, going medium to big 6 gives advantages that 22's can't match, as long as the twist is fast and the bullets are long.

I had a similar decision to make, and I am picking a medium 6 with a 1:8". Gack is gack, but the rubber meets the road somewhere.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't listen to Boxer. The CHeetah is a great round. If you are in the market, might I suggest you consider the one I have in the classifieds.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9070394#Post9070394

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just sent you a PM about that very rifle. If you like either of my trade options, it will come to live in Walla Walla.

I probably won't use it on my next Elephant, though wink

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by wageslave

UBER laffin.

Glad I could provide you with some entertainment there. I think I did mention something in my posts here from time to time about folks who are so small minded and insecure as to have to laugh at or demean others to feel good. It does not look good or wear well on the person laughing or demeaning.

Here is an idea for us all:

How about if we just talk about the various cartridges and rifles (and barrels and twists and stocks and triggers)that are brought up here and share OUR opinions and experiences and viewpoints, and let the OP and other readers make up their minds about the value of each post and view/opinion without stooping so low as to call another person names whose views are different?

It is a great way to live and makes a conversation board like this one immensely more fun for everyone.

My Mausers and lower BC but well constructed bullets have worked quite well for me, no pretend needed:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course the slower, High BC and awsome sectional density of some projectiles cannot be argued as to effectiveness,

[Linked Image]

On somewhat smaller animals, massive doses of impact velocity can work, too (My dad a few years ago with me on Safari. 7mm RemMag, 120gr TSX, non vitals hit but dead right there with no tracking needed:
[Linked Image]

I have to admit here though, that I have been known - where legal - to use bait to lure animals in close so that I could reach them with my inferior ultra high speed bullets and such. Bait here being my Clark Cable looks and a piece of toast grin
[Linked Image]

Too bad this guy didn't know that a 300 UltraMag was vastly inferior to a 308 for cross canyon shots on elk, had he known he might still be alive today:

[Linked Image]

Had this little guy known I was using an ultrafast, long barreled 257WBY with low BC Barnes bullets, rather than a 25/08 or 257 Roberts twisted 1 in 7, he probably would have just shrugged off the puny bullet I was using and laughingly walked on after the does he was chasin

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/buck1.jpg[/img]

Oh yeah, apx 2,000lbs worth of Eland, not aware that a 308 was the proper medicine over my 300 Ultra on this long shot taken
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/eland.jpg[/img]

And who would have known, before the internet, that a 300 Ultra would work so well on smaller creatures, too!

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/impala.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/klipspringer.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/wildebeastbull.jpg[/img]

Have to admit, however, that I have been know to slum a push feed rifle from time to time. Wish I had this one back:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/cadboat257wbytruckpics026.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/cadboat257wbytruckpics031.jpg[/img]

My point to all of this is....

We and our opinions are all moulded and made by our own particular places hunted, where we live, how we hunt, what we hunt for and some other external factors sometimes like nostalgia, memories, adding some style to a hunt maybe with a cool old Model 71 or 99 etc. Whatever caused these opinions to be formed, - and I have admitted before that if I lived and hunted SE AK year 'round like some here do I would likely be as fond of plastic and stainless as they are - EACH of our opinions and viewpoints are as valid as they need to be for us. And, they all have usefullness and weight, given to them by the OP's and readers here and hopefully based upon the real and actual experiences of the poster or his credentials.

No need for pretending, but there should be a modicum of decorum, manners and respect shown to each other here.

I do not call names or demean others, merely share a differing view or point, based upon the facts as I know or see them and have experienced them.

My preferences and experiences are different form some folks, but are based in real world events and many years with many hunts and varmint shooting excursions.

As I said before, use what you like that works, and have FUN in so doing!

And, talking down to another human being here or othersiwse is a huge reflection on the charachter (or lack thereof) of the person posting the laughs or put downs than it is of the person being called whatever name. We make ourself look quite the fool by trying to do that to others. THAT, really IS quite simple and an iron clad truth to take home and put n the bank.

Great pics Safariman. The Elephant is the trump card though. Not many can show a pic of them posing with Tembo.

Thank you, sir. I am glad I went when I could. Landmark moments over there and amazing hunts. Took 9 hard days of tracking before we got close enough to a bull Ele to make a shot. What an immense challenge and thrill.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Like to go back and get an Elephant,Cape buffalo and Leopard,along with Eland and a smatterin' of various species. smile

Thank you! Another long, hard fair chase hunt that finally went my way after several tries. Since shooting that bull and getting the mount up, I am now and forever more a meat hunter when it comes to Elk. Cow elk are just SO fine eatin! No room or need for another big bull. He was my one elk that I wanted, as was the nice Mule Deer in the pic. With them on my walls, I now shoot eatin deer and such. Took many years and miles to find each.

I hope you get one like that, or better, as well.

On both, after so many miles afoot, driving and flying, too many cold, cold mornings, and only one opportunity to take the beast of my dreams I was not ABOUT to trust the shot (both at some distance) to a small rifle, regardless of twist, BC etc. I wanted put 'em down NOW power. Super high velocity Barnes TSX's did them in right nicely.

Good luck in your hunts and search!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Respectable loonies buy what they're drooling for, and couldn't GAF what the comparison numbers look like. Nothing rational about it.

Well stated, and spot on IMO and IME. Too many forget the fun factor in all of this and get way to wound up.

Hunt what makes you happy, gets it done for you and go kill some stuff! 'Nuff said.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
KchuntShoot,

So now boolits do matter?!?

Laffin'!

'nm,

Barrel,twist,glass,mounts,POA/POI correlations...do tell.

Be SURE and use as much Imagination and Pretend as you deem requisite,to knock 'er outta da' [bleep] Park,with them Tales.

Looking forward to the [bleep] hilarity...so spare no "details".

Laffin'!

minengr,

[bleep] yes...don't listen to me. Tough to "trump" the "attributes" of a 375H&H length action,on a .473" S/A 308UBBR based hull...especially when it's twisted 1-16".

You just took Blatant Dumbfhuqqery to places it's never been before!

Tell you what,steer them facts around and frost it copiously by sayin' a leetle sumptin' about boolits and COAL in that piece of [bleep] schit. Laffin'!

Holy [bleep] WOW +P+!

Use your Imagination and summons enough Pretend,to find me "mistaken". Don't forget to trumpe using 3 of the 4 available base screws and going windage adjustable rears,as culmination of your Colossal Cluelessness.

UBER Dare there Toots.

Laffin'!

safari',

Use your UBER Imagination and Pretend,to quantify your version of "super high velocity". Don't be afeared to dismiss yet again,how you "arrange" POA/POI intersections,nor to quip impact velocity at the scene.

Lemme give you an UBER Hint...give your Imagination and Pretend some time to "think" your reply over. Kudos for citing who UBER found your schit the next day and UBER packed it out for you.

Just UBER sayin'.

UBER Laffin'!

[bleep] UBER Wow +P+!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Thank you! Another long, hard fair chase hunt that finally went my way after several tries. Since shooting that bull and getting the mount up, I am now and forever more a meat hunter when it comes to Elk. Cow elk are just SO fine eatin! No room or need for another big bull. He was my one elk that I wanted, as was the nice Mule Deer in the pic. With them on my walls, I now shoot eatin deer and such. Took many years and miles to find each.

I hope you get one like that, or better, as well.

On both, after so many miles afoot, driving and flying, too many cold, cold mornings, and only one opportunity to take the beast of my dreams I was not ABOUT to trust the shot (both at some distance) to a small rifle, regardless of twist, BC etc. I wanted put 'em down NOW power. Super high velocity Barnes TSX's did them in right nicely.

Good luck in your hunts and search!
Safariman,since I have not killed a bull elk yet,any size would be a wall hanger for me! wink All I can do is put in for a bull elk tag here in New Mexico and hope I get drawn for a tag.

Like you,one bull is all I want.

When I get the tag it'll be a hard choice to which rifle to use,as I have .300 H&H/WIN/Wby mags,4-.30-06's,.338 Win/RUM .35 Whelen/Norma and a .375 H&H. Whichever I chose I'll practice with it until the hunt. I love the Nosler Partition and it's my go to bullet when it's "crunch time."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Other side.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Boxer
KchuntShoot,

So now boolits do matter?!?

Laffin'!

Of course bullets matter. I agree with you, and I generally do, though not the way you go about expressing yourself. Some of us are a lot smarter than you give us credit for. Some of us have a lot of psychological training and can read you pretty well.

I know you know your shyte, Boxer. I wonder if you know you know your shyte, since you wave your 'Up Yours, Morons!' flag with every post. A lot of guys on this forum like you, and I understand why. You know guns, ballistics, hunting, and have BTDT regarding nearly all the questions people generally ask.

If you notice, most of us give respectable answers based on personal experience, or even BS conjecture, when questions are asked. We don't repeat "F_ck you, losers" ad nauseum. Those who can't grasp social cues and mimic acceptable behavior are generally classified as ill. You can be the hero without being the [bleep] here. I am sure no one would complain.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer,

Like Hunt n shoot above, I have great respect for your knowledge and experience. But I agree 1000% that the foul language and name calling diminish that legend and respect rather than add to what could be (and used to be) a great legacy. If you care, what used to be the respect and legacy you had here is going away, and fast do to your MO. It takes no skill with words to curse and be demeaning. There is no call for it.

And FWIW, other than the one bear after my Kidneys went completely chit can on me, I did lots of findin and packin critters. It is good to have friends who will assist me now that I am pretty sick and in dire need of a transplant. Without a transplant or even more help in the near future, that very well could be my last ever black bear. And there is no pretend in any of those pictures. I can post more if neccesary, but I think I made my point. IF you cannot see that or choose to disregard it for whatever reason, that looks bad on you, not me.

Food for thought, in hopes that you think before you type sometimes.

The original Big Stick from a few years ago could discuss rifles and scopes etc without all of this bluster which demeans everything you say and do. I would love to have reasonable and adult dialoug with you here. I am sure many others feel the same. Maybe consider this, if you will.

Most respectfully and sincerely,

Safariman

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer,
I plead with you.....
Be nice.
I know you can do it.
I value your opinion, but can no longer stand by and ignore your brash, bravado laced diatribes and your exposed poosy.
If you can't tone down your vile, nasty attacks I will be forced to put you on imaginary ignore.
This is your last warning.
Quit spouting facts and experience that you acquired from
Field & Stream and get your ass off the couch.
Be a light in the blackness, not satan's tool for .30 caliber.
Embrace the �BER.

Or GFY.
I'm thirsty.

JeffO

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.