-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A little bit of redneck engineering on my 1x30 belt grinder, while the side vacuum attachment port works ok, just not enough when I sand knife handles, the main chore for the little 1x30. Dust flys off the belt and covers everything in the shop, especially with the antique ivory, WOW, looks like an explosion of baby powder. So I came up with this...

[Linked Image]

Seems to work pretty well, shop is sure cleaner.

Last edited by 41Gunner; 08/03/14.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
sweet, good thinkin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Would have a hard time grindin' myself with that hangin' out there. Wouldn't be able to make passes from the right side for the interference, but if it works for ya... Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but looks like it'd get in the way.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a very similar arrangement hooked-up to my 3/4HP Baldor buffer, shop vac made things much cleaner when running big 10" buffing wheels.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Would have a hard time grindin' myself with that hangin' out there. Wouldn't be able to make passes from the right side for the interference, but if it works for ya... Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but looks like it'd get in the way.

I was worried about that myself after I finished it, tried angling it back as far as it would go but was still partly in the way and it was a little too high. I took out the PVC extension and clear tube on the right side, then glued the shop vac pipe directly into the elbow. Much better suction now, only got some micarta dust on top of the pipes and a little to the right but the rest of the bench is clean. Not a 100% happy with the right side but I will deal with it to have a much cleaner shop and bench.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
a grinder with the covers still on it? Where's your sense of adventure? LOL Looks like it would work good. Belt changing would take more time though.

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dan308
a grinder with the covers still on it? Where's your sense of adventure? LOL Looks like it would work good. Belt changing would take more time though.

Got in a crappy batch of belts, they work good but the splicer tape gives out, all of a sudden, been popped in the face already, so yeah the cover stays on. Actually not to time consuming to remove the cover, all I do is lift the assembly about 5-6 inches and slide to the left to clear the whole thing out of the way, then pull the cover off. Just way to much stuff in the garage to try and keep dust off of.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
OK, here is version 2....

[Linked Image]

Fully out of the way now, comes in from the back right side at a angle along with a 2 1/4" end attachment suction performance is much better. Still need to figure out a better hold down system for the hose, using 550 paracord now but need something better, have to think on that for a bit.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
they make some stuff that's like metal tape with holes in it, we called it plumbers tape, you could wrap it around it and bolt it in place to hold it

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yep, I have some metal strapping tape but due to the angle I don't think it will work in this application. Right now the 550 gives me some flex so the system moves a little when I change belts. Hard mounting it with plumbers tape might restrict it's movement and not give me the required angle.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 72 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,462
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.