Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srwshooter
guy around va. are installing metal overtop of shingles. i don't like that idea of going over an old roof with new one. they put 2x4's horizonally on the dhingles spaced about every 2ft then screw the new metal on the boards with rubber washered screws. i just wonder how long the washers will last on the screws. i looks ok,but i don't like all those screws showing on a roof.i'd pay for a better metal roof with hidden fasteners . my house has a old style standing seam that was put on in 1927 and it doesn't leak.
Metal over old shingles is done everywhere to save money but it's not the best way to do it. Standing rib metal is the one without visible fasteners. It's the best way to do.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Carriage House by Certainteed. That's what me and wife nailed on.

Buy once-cry once

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TopCat
Keep in mind that all shingles leak...

The shingle is not a water barrier, they are there for cosmetics, as a structural barrier and to provide durability against UV to protect the water barrier underneath.

You're FOS, totally.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord

Buy once-cry once

Where have I heard this before? LMFAO

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can roof a house without underlayment and it won't leak (barring any ice dam conditions)

I've ripped shingles off that were chalked and laid directly on plywood decking. 20 yrs on, burnt to a crisp- decking looked white as new. No leaks. Seen it dozens and dozens of times.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Owens Corning with the highest wind rating available, will give you the heaviest-duty nailing strip, which is the only part of a shingle that actually needs to be strong.

Have him install it with 7 nails per shingle. It won't come off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in Rhode Island, GAF Timberlines are big. I've got them, and my Mom and Aunts. I got the best roof contractor I could find and paid for the whole system. It was $4,800 to go over existing and I paid $10K for the whole thing to be redone from scratch. It's only been three years but it looks gorgeous. My guy and his workers are from Bulgaria and they hand nailed my entire roof. My house is plank on frame, and there are plenty of cracks for the nails to miss. By hand, they should notice and sink an extra nail here and there.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
rob, got a picture? How many sq ft is your house?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been a roofing contractor for over 30 years. CertainTeed is making the best product right now in my opinion. A good contractor to properly install them is far more important than brand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Underlayment is there to protect the roof in case something happens to the shingles. Any well laid composition roof won't leak. Many are not well laid.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had Owens Corning shingles put on in early June. Probably the most correct thing I've heard so far is that without proper installation, it doesn't matter what brand of shingle you buy, it's only a matter of time before there is a problem.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Both my places have metal roofs and I would not have it any other way. They will outlive me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

The shingle is not a water barrier, they are there for cosmetics, as a structural barrier and to provide durability against UV to protect the water barrier underneath.

You're FOS, totally.

But hey...if y'all want to roof your house with no underlayment ...y'all go for it ...I got no problem with that.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
I can roof a house without underlayment and it won't leak (barring any ice dam conditions)

I've ripped shingles off that were chalked and laid directly on plywood decking. 20 yrs on, burnt to a crisp- decking looked white as new. No leaks. Seen it dozens and dozens of times.

I stand corrected...underlayment is totally unnecessary...why not save that extra $50...damn engineers don't really know what they're talking about most of the time anyway.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Living in California where it doesn't snow and the summers are moderate is fairly easy on roofs. The previous one I had installed with Elk Prestique II shingles lasted 26 years, and never leaked, but a wind storm began to tear chunks off the exposed edges, so I replaced it. I never liked the plywood deck the contractor put down, he failed to stagger a few seams and missed nailing the edges to the old open sheathing, which made lines in the shingles, but then again it remained watertight. Meanwhile that contractor died.

The new contractor is Diamond Certified and has a good reputation so I went with GAF Timberline Ultra HD shingles over Tiger Paw Roof Deck Protection. Once the old shingles were torn off, the contractor mentioned the poor plywood job and recommended repairing a few places. I decided to replace the entire plywood deck and do it right this time. That added $4,000 to the cost for the tear-off and replacement. The job included all new pipe collars, edge nosing, valley and chimney flashings, front gutters and downspouts, two Attic Breeze solar powered vent fans, and wood repairs. Total cost ran $21,000. The old roof cost $9,600 in 1988 for 3000 sq ft.

The new warranty is for 25 years labor and lifetime materials, something they call "Golden Pledge" (yeah sure). The gimick is that GAF sends an inspector out after the roof has weathered in a couple of months to ensure it was installed correctly, and (one would assume) make any repairs. So, if everything works out I'll croak before this roof needs replacement, Mrs. Wrangler can worry about it.

Now if it would just rain, all that work and no rain to test it.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 08/06/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You have to really watch out for those "10 year Lifetime Warranty's". whistle

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You're FOS, totally.

But hey...if y'all want to roof your house with no underlayment ...y'all go for it ...I got no problem with that.

Underlayment is for temporarily drying a roof in, and apart from stick-down ice-dam barriers, waterproofs nothing. 30# felt installed in layers above the exposure line on wooden shakes/shingles actually does offer resistance against water penetration.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 08/06/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're FOS, totally.

Underlayment is for temporarily drying a roof in, and apart from stick-down ice-dam barriers, waterproofs nothing. 30# felt installed in layers above the exposure line on wooden shakes/shingles actually does offer resistance against water penetration.

yep,lots of guys here only use 15lb felt to save money but if you are going to leave it long without shingles it will blow off.

i figure the guys the install metal over shingles figure that if the metal leaks the tar in the shingles where the screws go in will stop the leaks. looks to me like the metal will sweat all over the shingles and burn them up in a few years.. then all you have is a mess.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am looking to get my roof re-shingled. My contractor likes GAF Timberline HD architectural shingle, but is also offering any other brand. Any opinion?

I'm not a roofer, but I just re-roofed our home with GAF Timberline NS shingles.

The architectural shingles are far more robust than the old 3-tab. Your contractor may prefer them for availability. I got mine from HomeyD. The final appearance is very nice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Metal direct contact over shingles is stupid. Especially if plywood is the structural panel.

The grit will rub scratch marks in the primed underside of the metal.

You'll also get 'oil can dents' screwing the metal to the inconsistant surface beneath. It needs to be latticed out horrizontally with 1x4s or 1x6s

Do this really need to be explained?

Jeezus H

And yes underlayment is good stuff, I like #30. And by God it aint $50 to do a house. That chit is $20 bucks a roll GRANDPA! 2 square roll. Yeah, extra $200 is cheap insurance if you let pothead 18 yr old dummasses and your retarded nephews do your roof.

Carry on.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,760
Posts18,495,496
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.