-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My log home had a metal roof when I bought it 27 years ago it was lapped over metal, and water would seep in the seams. NOT installed properly!

About 14 years ago we had a snap lock metal roof put on to replace it.

Have had ZERO problems since! And figure this roof will last way beyond my lifetime.

Virgil B.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Both my places have metal so I won't be re-roofing in my lifetime.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have any thoughts about the durability of the new colored metal roofs vs the old standing seam that people painted?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every building here (7) has a metal lid, and I have installed most of it (with help). Keep in mind that I have only one intersecting gable in the whole place, but considering prep and installation time/cost, experience says that a good metal covering costs little to none more than shingles.

Good color selections, and metal is faster/easier to install and more durable - including resistance to hail. Yes, very large/heavy hail will ding it, but compare that to shingle roof damage under the same assault. Metal does transmit more noise to the interior during heavy rain/hail.

Advice: If you are going to go metal, select the heavier gauge and a design with full overlap seams, use screws with good sealing washers, and check them for tightness after a hot/cold weather cycle.

Other than some trim challenges, I had to do very little cutting. The places where I purchase the metal will custom cut to my spec lengths and make trim pieces to my specs as well. The earlier post about placing roof penetrating tubes (vents) higher/closer to ridgelines in heavy snow locations - very good point.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I'm not only going metal roof, but the whole shooting' match�

John

[Linked Image]

Nice walk in vault and tornado shelter!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Tag on question about metal roofing: How low an angle roof can it be used on? I have a built-up roof (gravel over tar) that needs replacing and I'm pondering metal or EPDM. Also, what gauge metal would be recommended to handle hail that is quarter-sized and smaller?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Does anyone have any thoughts about the durability of the new colored metal roofs vs the old standing seam that people painted?
most have a 30 yr warranty

Underneath that paint is Galvalume.

So after the paint wears off, you still have a coating on the steel.

Around here, the metal looks good for about 5 yrs until the tree sap and windborne black slimy algae starts growing on every surface like everything else in this humid hellhole we call the South.

If you live in a fantasyland like out west were you are blessed with drought and no rust, you should get many years of no worries

Just make sure your dont let mexicons put it in. The mayan midgets like to torque all the neoprene gaskets off by running their drills too "hot" on a high chuck setting. Dummasses.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
Tag on question about metal roofing: How low an angle roof can it be used on? I have a built-up roof (gravel over tar) that needs replacing and I'm pondering metal or EPDM. Also, what gauge metal would be recommended to handle hail that is quarter-sized and smaller?

cheap stuff is about 29 gauge. Better stuff is 26

Depending on rib size. ( the ribs for classic home consumer grade is about 3/4-1" )

I would not put it on anything less that a 3/12 pitch.

You might slide on a 1/12 pitch if its a carport application. But you'll need to use closure strips and sealers against wall flashings.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In this country I like a lot of pitch. I remember the blizzards of 84-86.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Slum & 'Lope thanks for the info....I'll have to measure my pitch, but I'm guessing it's close to 1.5 to 2 in 12. It is a shed-style roof over an attached garage. I hear you about the blizzards....but I can't readily adjust the existing pitch. I'm thinking if I were to remove the gravel, it would remove about 3500 lbs of weight on this roof (22'x32') and would be replaced by about 1500 lbs of steel....hopefully making it somewhat less likely to fail with snow loading.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I marvel at all the metal roofs when I drive to Maine. Metal, with a heck of a pitch to shed snow. I never see anything like it around here but up there, they are common.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
On a metal roof, just make sure your door is not below the pitch.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In Biloxi MS.i had the pleasure of coating my grandfather's roof with aluminum paint,about every 5 or 6 years.
The pitch was steep to shed water fast.

had to wear the right pair of shoes and use a old tire to keep the paint bucket from sliding down.
The roof was put on sometime around 1924.
The house is still there but in the 80's some .gov program talked him in to putting on a shingle roof,it has been replaced 6 times.
Metal roof will pay off in the long run.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Metal roof only way to go, especially in fire country.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just re roofed our place this spring with a metal roof. Around 1985 or 1986 we built a pole garage similar to the one Northern Dave is building now. The pole garage is 20x30x10 and it is wrapped in steel with a steel roof, both the roof and the siding look like they were installed yesterday.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
On a metal roof, just make sure your door is not below the pitch.
In snow country you see a lot of metal with snow retention gizmos over the doors. This pic is typical but there are many more variations. They keep the snow from dumping on your head.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They keep sheets of thawing ice from chopping your head off. laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.