Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T O M thanks for the tip on the seating, I do know that when the hammer drops on the Trapper my shoulder is bruised soon after. Almost like a tamed 450 Marlin with 420 gr Cast Performance bullet. I am eager to see the results. Penetration might not be what the hard cast rounds can produce, but my shot placement will be heart lung tissue.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Distance is the biggest thing when wanting to use 44 mag. Think 100 yards is as far as I'd go. Maybe 150 if I could shoot a good group consistently. (Clay pigeon size standing up) which I can't.
But I can't wait to use my Ruger 44 mag carbine someday on the west side.
From deer to elk to cougar to black bear this is a sweet brush gun!
No hollow points for me.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My Ruger Redhawk put four 240-grain full house Remington's into a cow elk's neck from about 25 yards. She looked at me and walked away. That's when I put my .44 Mag away and went back to my 300WM. And it gave me 2nd thoughts about the .44Mag as a bear stopper, too.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mtwoodson
My Ruger Redhawk put four 240-grain full house Remington's into a cow elk's neck from about 25 yards. She looked at me and walked away. That's when I put my .44 Mag away and went back to my 300WM. And it gave me 2nd thoughts about the .44Mag as a bear stopper, too.

???? Am I the only one wondering WTF?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

???? Am I the only one wondering WTF?

Yea, I was being kind and not saying anything.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A gun shop in Southern Idaho had an elk rack, taken in the rifle season.

When the owner was skinning out the skull, he hit something in the skull at the base of the antlers, but somewhat centered in the middle of the valley between the bases.

It was a .44 caliber bullet, mushroomed like a soft point as best could be seen from the scar tissue around the head of the bullet, and calipered from the exposed base bullet base. We always wonder what the story was with the shot...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To many things can go wrong with a neck shot on a Elk especially with a handgun , just to much room for error. Bullet placement is critical with a neck shot on any big game animal, to much non vital area for a killing shot and the animal goes off and dies a slow death if it dies at all. I have only killed five Elk and so not a expert by no means, but if you expect a Elk to fall or react to the shot even if fatal , you had better rethink that, because most will walk off for a short distant just like they aren't even hit and lay down and die.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, a sample of one. Back in 1988, I used a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2-inch barrel and a custom cartridge with a 300 grain hard-cast flat-nose bullet to take a 5x5 bull in the Holy Cross Wilderness in Colorado. One shot in the heart/lung pocket at a little over 40 yards resulted in a one-shot kill. The bull went a little over 20 yards and tipped over. I was going to shoot him again as soon as he stopped, but didn't get the chance. He was at a bit of an angle and the bullet did break the humerus (the big "shoulder" bone) on the far side. It did not exit.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
YES! The 44 mag with 300g hard cast, even from a short barrel revolver will put elk steaks in your freezer, if you make a good shot, within a reasonable distance appropriate to the firearm and your max comfortable distance. I've taken a lot of game with that bullet out of everything from 4.63" SA revolvers to lever guns and it's a killer. Practice a lot and establish your max effective range, then go hunt with confidence� good luck and safe hunting and please post pics of your success when you bag your bull with your preferred combo to ensure all those here on this forum who don't know WTF they are talking about will STFU.

Kind and humble regards,

Foxx

God Bless America!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bea175
To many things can go wrong with a neck shot on a Elk especially with a handgun , just to much room for error. Bullet placement is critical with a neck shot on any big game animal, to much non vital area for a killing shot and the animal goes off and dies a slow death if it dies at all. I have only killed five Elk and so not a expert by no means, but if you expect a Elk to fall or react to the shot even if fatal , you had better rethink that, because most will walk off for a short distant just like they aren't even hit and lay down and die.

Taking a neck shot with a handgun, if the animal doesn't collapse like the carpet was yanked out from under it, then I missed. Even if I hit tissue, I missed. Neck shots better be about spine shots, because there are better and bigger places to shoot an animal if bleeding them out is the goal. 4 shots with a 44 at the neck of an elk, and it didn't fall, then you missed.

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't going to say anything. But there isn't a alot of animals that can take 44 mag full house rounds into the neck at 25 yards and walk away. one of those had to hit something or all 4 missed. I just don't know what to think of that.
I have 2 elk hanging on my wall with neck shot. I think there is a lot of vitals in the neck.

?New thread about 'Elk neck shots'?

Last edited by Dre; 08/13/14.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I put an elk down with a mildly loaded 40 at maybe 10 yds. It stood up, I pulled up, it took some steps, I shot, it dropped. I've seen the destructive power of a 240 from a 44, and they lay waste. My 40 made a good hole in and through bone and kept going. A 44 that hit would have removed pieces.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Remington HP, not SP, I bet?

The Reminton 240 HP is super "soft". The scalloped jacket allows it to open up with minimal resistance. Sectional density isn't just about the bullet's original shape, you have to think about what it looks like opened up. The bigger the mushroom, the more resistance to penetrating.

That particular bullet at short range may have been going fast enough that on impact, it over-expanded, making it lose velocity FAST, and it may not have had momentum enough to break the neck bones.

I had that happen with a .223 on a head-on neck shot (under the chin) with a 55 grain nosler solid base. Killed the deer with a knife so we were able to see what happened. The bullet was mushroomed out and stopped against the spine without breaking any bone.

The other possibility is an elk's spine is not centered top to bottom in the neck. Kind of like shooting behind the shoulder and going above the heart/below the spine, there's a spot in an elk's neck which seems intuitive to shoot at where the spine ain't. You might have shot through it. Or, too close to the head, you may have gone under the spine.

One time I shot a bull (bovine) in the neck with a .257 roberts .. too far forward and too low. Poked both jugular veins but didn't break anything. It walked darn near a quarter mile with freakin' ROPES of blood squirting at every heart beat. Just wouldn't tip over.

.44 mag as a bear stopper? Well, I'd rather have a .300 win mag ... or bigger ... but those are awkward to hold onto while fly fishing. Also hard to carry when I'm varmint hunting with a .22-250. The .44 I'm carrying is better than the .300 back home.

There are two issues with any handgun and bears. First is choosing appropriate ammo for the task at hand. Second is being able to place your shots on demand under pressure.

Frankly, selecting Remington's 240 grain JHP for elk is a failure of judgment. It's good for a lot of things .. but it's a ways down on the list for that use.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Views on this caliber for a short range shot? Winchester Trapper

If your hold is steady and your aim is true, then your elk steaks will be on the ground. I have a friend that has taken several elk with the 44 mag.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Views on this caliber for a short range shot? Winchester Trapper

I've taken two cow elk and a buffalo heifer with a 45 Colt and "44 mag" type loads. My loads were 325-gr hard casts at about 1300 fps. My shots were about forty yards and under. None of the three stopped these bullets on broadside chest shots though the elk went between hundred and two hundred yards.

Not a lot of experience but very doable if you take on a bow hunter's mentality.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Remington HP, not SP, I bet?

The Reminton 240 HP is super "soft". The scalloped jacket allows it to open up with minimal resistance. Sectional density isn't just about the bullet's original shape, you have to think about what it looks like opened up. The bigger the mushroom, the more resistance to penetrating.

That particular bullet at short range may have been going fast enough that on impact, it over-expanded, making it lose velocity FAST, and it may not have had momentum enough to break the neck bones.

I had that happen with a .223 on a head-on neck shot (under the chin) with a 55 grain nosler solid base. Killed the deer with a knife so we were able to see what happened. The bullet was mushroomed out and stopped against the spine without breaking any bone.

The other possibility is an elk's spine is not centered top to bottom in the neck. Kind of like shooting behind the shoulder and going above the heart/below the spine, there's a spot in an elk's neck which seems intuitive to shoot at where the spine ain't. You might have shot through it. Or, too close to the head, you may have gone under the spine.

One time I shot a bull (bovine) in the neck with a .257 roberts .. too far forward and too low. Poked both jugular veins but didn't break anything. It walked darn near a quarter mile with freakin' ROPES of blood squirting at every heart beat. Just wouldn't tip over.

.44 mag as a bear stopper? Well, I'd rather have a .300 win mag ... or bigger ... but those are awkward to hold onto while fly fishing. Also hard to carry when I'm varmint hunting with a .22-250. The .44 I'm carrying is better than the .300 back home.

There are two issues with any handgun and bears. First is choosing appropriate ammo for the task at hand. Second is being able to place your shots on demand under pressure.

Frankly, selecting Remington's 240 grain JHP for elk is a failure of judgment. It's good for a lot of things .. but it's a ways down on the list for that use.

Tom

Tom, I agree with much what you say here, other than the possibility that the bullets were so soft that they didn't get through bone, and therefore the elk just walked off. I can't imagine that happening. I shot Nosler 240 JHP at deer, and striking bone just meant that bone got broke. They have a hollowed nose of bare lead too. Mushroomed perfectly, 75% wt when dug out of 6 in frozen dirt after going diagonally through doe. Remingtons are soft too, likely softer, but the sheer momentum of a 240gr bullet out of a 44 mag at 25yds isn't going to evaporate on vertebrae.

Bullet construction matters when you want at least a foot of penetration, like on a bear, and hollow points would be a scary proposition! In the heavy non-expanding bullet guise, I think there are few portable platforms that can outdo the 44 mag on bears.

Since you mention bovines, and separately 22 cals, my brother bought a young steer and took his 221 Fireball Contender loaded with 53gr TSX to put it down. He opted for a neck shot, and 8 shots later, finally put it down. Those wee bullets weren't getting through the heavy muscles of the neck with enough poop to do damage to the spine. It was a mess, partly because he kept taking angle shots, and the steer wasn't going down, and he didn't guess that the muscle was dense enough to absorb and deflect the shots.

Sectional Density is a ratio of wt and diameter of bullet, and is constant regardless of nose shape or bullet composition.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Since you mention bovines, and separately 22 cals, my brother bought a young steer and took his 221 Fireball Contender loaded with 53gr TSX to put it down. He opted for a neck shot, and 8 shots later, finally put it down. Those wee bullets weren't getting through the heavy muscles of the neck with enough poop to do damage to the spine. It was a mess, partly because he kept taking angle shots, and the steer wasn't going down, and he didn't guess that the muscle was dense enough to absorb and deflect the shots.

No. It was a mess because he didn't have a clue......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
[
Not a lot of experience but very doable if you take on a bow hunter's mentality.

WTF would a rifle hunter want to saddle himself with 'bowhunters mentality'?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by huntsman22

No. It was a mess because he didn't have a clue......

Yeah, he'd be the first to agree with you. That Barnes koolaid and his unwillingness to just put a shot into the skull.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I dunno. Haven't met the steer yet, that I couldn't down with one 53 tsx to the neck. Trick is, knowing HOW to place them.....Funny thing is, I'd be willing to bet that neck didn't retain ONE of those tsx's.......

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.