Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Put in for a few south Texas draw hunts and the places don't have electricity. What size generator do I need to run a small air conditioner and a couple of lights on a 16ft trailer? Is renting one cost prohibitive? powdr

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An a/c that plugs into a wall outlet can't be over 1500 to 1800 watts so any generator with a 2000w steady output will work. Don't confuse steady output with surge output. They will rate the surge quite a bit higher but the generator can't maintain it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first trick is to find out the amp draw on your AC and everything else that could be running at the same time. Add it all up and go from there.

Try to find a quiet one.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honda Eu2000I should work perfectly, my buddy runs his cabin with his all the time.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an eu2000i. It is a great unit but it is not rated to run a typical RV AC unit. You can pair two eu2000's and it will handle it with ease, or spend the same amount of money and get an eu 3000 that will run a trailer. The smart money is on double eu2000's. More power, lighter, and able to be split up makes it a better choice than the single 3000 unit most of the time.

You are looking at a bit over $2,000 for any inverter setups (eu 2000's are about $1,000 each). Unless you are camping in a dry wash somewhere alone you do not want to be the jerk that runs a cheap construction type generator all night long keeping the entire campground up.

Edit to add, if you have a smaller window type AC u it, the 2000 may run it. Check the amperage draw on the AC.

Last edited by K1500; 08/11/14.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
powdr,
I just recently bought a Powerhouse 2000WI inverter generator for my 18 ft. camper and used it for the first time a few weeks ago. I did not try to run the AC unit with it, so I'm not sure it would work for you, but the generator did do a good job for everything else. It's as quiet as the Honda (according to the dB ratings of both) and can be had for about 1/2 the price. Same weight, too, so it isn't difficult to move around (about 50 some pounds). As others have said, you'll have to check the amp draw on your AC to determine if it will work with whatever generator you get.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great place to ask and purchase if you are looking

Wise Sales

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I sell generators among other things, but I wanted to be sure of what to use for my own 25' camper. I found out my AC needed 19+ amps to start and 16A to run. That eliminates household current at 15A. Don't try to under-power things. You need extra current to run things all at once. I settled for a 3500w generator. I work on all kinds including Honda. I even sell Honda. I decided on a different brand for my application. Don't let anyone generalize things. If you need any suggestions let me know. I can warn you away from many things. Probably not familiar with them all, though. Marty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you REALLY need AC to sleep, that is an issue, but maybe try using 12v lights and living without the AC - cheaper, quieter and less bother. A supplemental 12v RV batt is a lot simpler, and quieter, than making 120v.

A very good generator came bult in to our 25 ft. MoHome which has been used for all sorts of travel and hunting. Have started the gen once - to make certain that it worked.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Another vote for the Honda EU2000I(and it's companion) and another vote for Wise sales.

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We took a cheap route... for one that serves many uses.. mostly for running 3000 watts of lights on the airboat for bowfishing.

China freight 3500 watt.

Runs teh RV, 28 foot with AC, runs the window unit in the bedroom in a power outage in the summer, plus a few lights easily.

Took the cheap 300ish buck generator down to the muffler shop and had em add on an extra muffler.

Pretty quiet now and when it goes bad, I don't have to worry about taking it to a shop to work on it.... just uncrate the next one....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What ever wattage choice, make it a Honda. Cry once and never again.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Another vote for the Honda EU2000I(and it's companion) and another vote for Wise sales.

[Linked Image]

Yep. Buy two and the cord to parallel them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

This or just get a bigger gen. I can't see a 2kw gen running the AC, fridge, lights, etc for a 16' trailer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by manydogs
The first trick is to find out the amp draw on your AC and everything else that could be running at the same time. Add it all up and go from there.

Try to find a quiet one.

Do this first, though.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by powdr
Put in for a few south Texas draw hunts and the places don't have electricity. What size generator do I need to run a small air conditioner and a couple of lights on a 16ft trailer? Is renting one cost prohibitive? powdr

Well you have plenty of time to find out plus you have to get picked for the hunts. Wait until you get that e mail before you do too much.
Renting, don't know what they charge but a buy cheap gen in more than likely in the $400 range today. Used to be $300 on sale. Will have plenty of power for what you want but the suckers are loud, real loud. If you go that route get the extra muffler as Jeff did.

Your going to have to compare the rently/purchase difference for what the local guys charge.
Looked at my todays add for cabela's. $329 plus tax. 4000 watts. That's Fort Worth or you could go to Buda wherever Central Texas is to you.

If it cost more than $100 bucks to rent for a 4 day trip, I'd buy.

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

[Linked Image]

Travis

Yep. I've got the Honda EU2000i and it's a great little unit, but it doesn't have enuff oomph to run a large camper with air, on it's own. Two of them in parrallel would be perfect if you've got the wallet. They are amazing machines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what ever you get make sure it has more than enough amperage to run the AC. low power the ac and you will damage it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And enough to *start* the AC! smile

Need around 1.3 to 1.5 times the running amps for starting surge.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last I checked, Onan was the only brand certified for Fed Forests.

That may have changed. Last week I was camping and since we were alone, I pulled out the 4000w generac to charge the battery and enjoy the AC since it was on. Local Fed ranger happened by and nicely advised me I couldn't run it. I showed him the old Honda 1500 and asked if I could use it just to charge the battery. He looked like he was gonna say no, but said OK but it wasn't rated for the forest either. But that thing is about as old as you'll find still running

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (426crown, 222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 24 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,760
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.