Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been invaded by what I call 'sugar ants' and they are really getting on my nerves. Does anybody have an effective means of getting rid of them?

I googled this and all the methods they recommend are "Greenie-Approved". They suggest tracking them back to their source of getting inside and using some of the most idiotic methods of repelling them. short of taking them to a carnival as a means of distracting them.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had some odd ants invade my garage last year, found out that different ants require different methods/bait/poison to remove them.

First thing is get a positive ID.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advion ant bait gel. Get it off Amazon. Comes in a syringe.

Squirt a bit next to the trail and the little bastatges will make a left turn and bury their heads in it. Within a few hours there will be thousands there eating it and taking it back to the nest. The next day they'll all be gone.

It's the only thing I've found to be effective.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My neighbors toy poodle is an ant eater...funny as heck to watch.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Link
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

YouTube Video; Link

Dust your counters and floors, in kitchen area with this Food Grade (fresh water) Diatomaceous Earth, (safe around kids and pets)!

Phil

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Product called Tempo. Use around your foundation to create a barrier say once every 3 weeks. Pet safe when it dries.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a lawn chemical made by Bayer that goes in your broadcast spreader and walked around my house in circles with the first ring 3X's, then just kept going until it was gone. We had ants all over our kitcken all the time all of a sudden and they seemed to be coming from the cracks/seams in our patio pavers as evidenced by the mounds of earth.

I watered the patio to dissolve the chemical into the cracks and it stopped the ants cold.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had a real problem with them this year. It started when there was two foot of snow on the ground.

After the snow melted, I poured borax on all the ant hills I could find around the house. It took a couple of applications, but I no longer have ants and all the hills appear to be inactive.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Micky what you need to do is find yourself some of these ants to wage war on your sugar ants....

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they are in your house they are there getting something... food usually...

So find out what they are after and clean and seal up everything so there is no residue for them to detect and no reason for them to be there...they won't waste their resources for no reason.

You may occasionally see a few scouts...single ants walking around, but don't kill the scouts.

They will return to the nest on their own and report nothing of interest.

If you see a trail of ants...don't just kill them.

First find the target, the food scrap, or whatever they are into, and remove it. Very shortly they will transmit the information back to the nest and all the workers down the line will withdraw cleaning up their mess behind them as they leave.

They have constant two-way communication up and down the line. If you kill or remove the workers near the food source or in between, the workers farther back up the chain don't get the message to withdraw and keep on coming.

If you do need an insecticide, just a squirt of dish washing detergent in a water bottle is very effective and doesn't leave a nasty smell, but killing the ants at the end of the line usually makes things worse.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lemon juice on the countertops eats their little legs off.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TopCat
If they are in your house they are there getting something... food usually...

So find out what they are after and clean and seal up everything so there is no residue for them to detect and no reason for them to be there...they won't waste their resources for no reason.

You may occasionally see a few scouts...single ants walking around, but don't kill the scouts.

They will return to the nest on their own and report nothing of interest.

If you see a trail of ants...don't just kill them.

First find the target, the food scrap, or whatever they are into, and remove it. Very shortly they will transmit the information back to the nest and all the workers down the line will withdraw cleaning up their mess behind them as they leave.

They have constant two-way communication up and down the line. If you kill or remove the workers near the food source or in between, the workers farther back up the chain don't get the message to withdraw and keep on coming.

If you do need an insecticide, just a squirt of dish washing detergent in a water bottle is very effective and doesn't leave a nasty smell, but killing the ants at the end of the line usually makes things worse.

this is a most interesting theory or application of natural law. without food, why would the ants waste their time? so, to go further, if possums and coyotes, and feral cats are coming to the edge of the chain link fence to eat food scraps, who could possibly blame them?

K
K
I had the same problem this year of them coming into house. Think they were searching for water.

I tries the soap spray didn't work for me and that got me to go get some repel permanone and gave squirt of it where they were entering house.

It worked. All I can say bout that. Haven't returned
Did have to vacuum up my trophies

silent water runs deep
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Advion ant bait gel. Get it off Amazon. Comes in a syringe.

Squirt a bit next to the trail and the little bastatges will make a left turn and bury their heads in it. Within a few hours there will be thousands there eating it and taking it back to the nest. The next day they'll all be gone.

It's the only thing I've found to be effective.

Gloryoski! Sounds like just what I need. Thanks, Steve. smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
Micky what you need to do is find yourself some of these ants to wage war on your sugar ants....

[Linked Image]

I'm afraid they'd kill one of my dogs, Sheridan. wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Do they look like these Crazy ants? I know they have them in Houston and the colonies are huge.
[Linked Image]

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try the gel. If that doesn't do it, find some Termidor.

I had them a couple years ago and went straight for the Termidor. Sprayed around the foundation, it takes care of all the ants.

As mentioned, don't go smushin' the ants. The lil bastids will raise new queens when stressed and the colony will split and multiply your problem.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crazy ants are a whole 'nuther pain in the azz.

Sugar ants, or pizz ants, are the little tiny sob's that smell kinda sickly sweet when smushed. They usually travel in lines.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Crazy ants are a whole 'nuther pain in the azz.

Sugar ants, or pizz ants, are the little tiny sob's that smell kinda sickly sweet when smushed. They usually travel in lines.

These are the kind I have. Little bitty black ants.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pizz- aints is the proper term.- MadMooner

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,632 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,769
Posts18,535,844
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.