Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was just thinking this morning.
I could buy a $60,000 Ford F350.
Course, being typically financially embarrassed at the moment I'd have to finance it. So if I financed $60,000 at 5% for six years, my monthly payment would be $966.30 for the truck alone.
Over a six year period (72 payments) I would fork over a total of $69,573.

Now if I were to instead buy a rifle each month for say $1,000, and lets say I'm a tight wad and purchased each of these pre-enjoyed at a value and did this for the nest 71 months. That would be an expenditure of $72,000.

At the end of the six year period what do you think that Ford F-350 would be worth in comparison to 72 rifles purchased for $1,000 each.

[Linked Image]

I purchased the truck above in June of 2000 for 25k cash.

I could quite possibly sell 3 of the rifles I bought back then for the same amount as the truck today, and probably quicker.

I realize the foregoing is not a perfect illustration, but perhaps you follow my drift.

JAFO,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/24/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No unnecessary rifles here. Always gotta have one more.
And GWB, I enjoy my 10 year old truck!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by spajjandoigger
Does anyone have any rifles/rifle projects that you don't need or shoot? I've found myself questioning my own sanity when it comes to rifles. I have 5 milsurp projects that I bought to suit various hunting needs only to find that I already had those needs filled by other, complete rifles. I am wondering how many other hunters and shooters have this same problem.
I don't understand your question.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I really only need 3. The other 90 some might be unnecessary

K
KPW Offline
K
I have sold several very choice rifles in the past 3 years and recently bought my second Dakota 76-.338WM, VERY choice piece which I got for a helluva deal.

I am holding at 30 bolt hunting rifles and about 5 misc. ones and consider that ALL rifles are "necessary".

Kutenay

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Isn't "unnecessary rifles" an oxymoron?

Now if that is changed to "potential sources of revenue for acquiring other rifles" - I have several in that category...

Mine started out as selling those "unnecessary rifles" and turned into "potential sources of revenue for acquiring other rifles".

How the heck does that happen anyway?.........sheesh.

Casey

LoL, isn't that the truth!! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KPW
I have sold several very choice rifles in the past 3 years and recently bought my second Dakota 76-.338WM, VERY choice piece which I got for a helluva deal.

I am holding at 30 bolt hunting rifles and about 5 misc. ones and consider that ALL rifles are "necessary".

Kutenay

Mr. Dewey, Why are you a new member? What happened to your old screen name???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If one takes a pragmatic view then yes I like most probably have several unnecessary rifles, shotguns and handguns. Like you I am thinking seriously about downsizing. I am getting older with more hunting seasons behind me than in front, my hunting friends are becoming beset with health problems that further threaten our hunting futures and as retirement nears the wife and I contemplate the possibility of traveling and possibly living partially in two locations so worrying about a bunch of stuff (guns) back at the other residence seems sort of crazy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no such thing an an unnecessary rifle or shotgun for that matter. For what or to whom it is necessary it an open question.

I've had a number that were more necessary to others than to me. And the other way around.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by viking
Nope, don't own a 270. Haha.

Say W H A A A T ? ?

To the OP..... yes I have a few UN-necessary rifles, all under .277 caliber.

I've posted this before, if you have a .270 W there is no need for lesser calibers!!
shocked shocked
grin grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by viking
Nope, don't own a 270. Haha.

LOL thats a good one.

I don't have any that I don't need.

But I did finally win a gun... damn the luck a friggin Ruger to start with(excuse me while I go puke) and then it had to be a 270 on top of it. That was a number of years back and its never been out of the box.

One day I"ll scope it and zero it for a simple loaner/backup to the other backups...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Come to think of it though, I"d be better off to trade it for a 700 in 223 with a threaded barrel....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Does anyone have any rifles/rifle projects that you don't need or shoot? I've found myself questioning my own sanity when it comes to rifles. I have 5 milsurp projects that I bought to suit various hunting needs only to find that I already had those needs filled by other, complete rifles. I am wondering how many other hunters and shooters have this same problem.

Those aren't unnecessary, they're just dead in the water.

Drink beer, spend money, drink more, wrench on rifle until done. In THAT order.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I cannot see buying anymore rifles without selling some first. I don't even have that many, but I would rather have a couple really nice shooters with really nice glass.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by goalie
It isn't a "problem."

Well, unless you ask my wife.....

laugh, done been told by Wifey that a man can have MUCH worse habits that guns, harleys and hot-rods, she said knock yourself out dear. lol

Trump Won!
S
OP Offline
S
Looks like some of mine just became necessary...I bought barrels for the Mausers...
Now all I need is a shotgun for dove season.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Looks like some of mine just became necessary...I bought barrels for the Mausers...
Now all I need is a shotgun for dove season.

Ahhhh, we're talking about Mausers. That makes more sense.

Yes. Completely unnecessary.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Ahhhh, we're talking about Mausers. That makes more sense.

Yes. Completely unnecessary.

Travis

Rifles in general. However my poison has always been of the German variety.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by geedubya
I was just thinking this morning.
I could buy a $60,000 Ford F350.
Course, being typically financially embarrassed at the moment I'd have to finance it. So if I financed $60,000 at 5% for six years, my monthly payment would be $966.30 for the truck alone.
Over a six year period (72 payments) I would fork over a total of $69,573.

Now if I were to instead buy a rifle each month for say $1,000, and lets say I'm a tight wad and purchased each of these pre-enjoyed at a value and did this for the nest 71 months. That would be an expenditure of $72,000.

At the end of the six year period what do you think that Ford F-350 would be worth in comparison to 72 rifles purchased for $1,000 each.

[Linked Image]

I purchased the truck above in June of 2000 for 25k cash.

I could quite possibly sell 3 of the rifles I bought back then for the same amount as the truck today, and probably quicker.

I realize the foregoing is not a perfect illustration, but perhaps you follow my drift.

JAFO,

GWB

This...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep and shotguns and handguns too. Bought over the past 30 or so years as good deals that will be sold off after I retire next years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (12344mag, 1234, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 219 Wasp, 46 invisible), 18,607 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,948
Posts18,539,449
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.