Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Could be that the covers aren't fitting tight enough? I've had to put a wrap of tape on before the cover because of that. Only on the obj.end of two scopes though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
What's up with the tape?

HSLD

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
So your tester put a new scope through it's paces for a few days. But all he really tested were the adjustments.
E

Well, I guess I owe you an apology cause "the only thing that broke were the adjustments". After all, that doesn't effect the scope performance in any way right ? Man alive E, that has to be one of the most ridiculous things you've ever sad.

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn-notes from Frank Gali @ Snipers Hide

Super Snipers arrived and as luck would have it, we have an 8 day Precision rifle class with a group of Rangers. As always happens, a Leupold on the Mk11 Mod0 broke so I have the 3-9 mounted on that rifle. The Ranger is going to use this scope all week. His quote zeroing it just now, "way too easy".

But its been trouble free and operating flawlessly for the class, 8 days of torture and nary a complaint

-------------------------

They give them, Leupold 3.5-10X FFP M3 stuff, which the guys liked the SS better, I had them check it out and give their opinion, the SS clearly won the night. (and the lower rings of the SS offset it really bad compared to the others, and still it was a better picture.

So far about 3 down this week, one hard core, two with annoying issues but enough to be dangerous operationally... bad enough when they get back they will have to be replaced, as they aren't holding zero, one even bouncing roughly 4 MOA every single day, at first he needs to add the 4 MOA & then if not that day, the next he has to remove it. Those with stripped screws don't do anyone any favors either.

The SS is smoking them easily if you ask me or them.

-------------------------

I spent the day shooting the 10X HD and like it alot, the 3-9X worked out perfect for the soldier, it was tits on and worked out great for him.

You guys (SWFA) scored with the design and the fact that both are under $1000, well under I might add, make them not only a great buy, but a best buy if you ask me.

I played with the tracking all day and it couldn't have gotten any more accurate, first rate. I even took the caps off to look inside, burly, really nice big brass wings, not like the cheesy plastic junk in the IORs.

----------------------------------

The soldier who shot the 3-9X42 shot it out to 1,000 and I shot it out to 800 and both of us commented on how there was no issue with the parallax, in fact he was quite surprised by the fact, and checked it over and over to be sure he was seeing it right.

Its very good for a fixed system.

----------------------------------

Summary,

These scopes are dead nutz on target, they are the right size, have the right features and address the "Under $1,000. decision" in an outstanding way.

You see it in the reticle and dial it, the round hits exactly where you want it too.

The clarity is excellent, as the scope has been moved to a new company for SWFA (read that NO LONGER TASCO...E) and they are producing a well made product at a reasonable price. Edge to edge clarity is first rate, there no issue with eye relief as it's quite forgiving.

The size is perfect for an SPR type rifle or even a hunting rifle and will work on your tactical rig for an entry level scope. I have the 10X HD on a light tactical bolt action and really like the way it looks on the rig. The parallax for the 10X is where the power ring is for the 3-9X so you have a similar set up.

I just shot the rifle out to 800 and it's flawless, dial on my dope, hold for the wind and it hits in the middle. No trying to figure out why my dope isn't right.

The 3-9X on the Mk11 worked great. The training continued, the soldier had confidence in the optic so everything worked out perfect from the use and abuse standpoint. In fact the soldier was part of a 3 way tie for top gun --- no issues.

Frank Galli
http://www.snipershide.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently quality issues persist.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3852926.0
kinda sad when you think about it.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I'm being to hard on E. After all, it's only the adjustments that don't work correctly.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Apparently quality issues persist.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3852926.0
kinda sad when you think about it.

dave

Wow... that thread is damning. The first poster and then the guy down at the bottom bought 2 and both broke. Loopie gots probs.

The only high dollar leupold I have came from Premier Reticle with the front focal plane reticle; but those days are long gone.

Seems like the SWFA SS's are looking better all the time. All my hillbilly friends got em years ago because of internal elevation and of course price... and they track. Just wish they would make some lighter weight versions for brush hunting up close.

Seems like Nightforce is trying to get some lower priced models out there...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Between this and the other SWFA thread what I'm hearing is that the SWFA is bombproof, but too dim to hunt early morning or evening?

As a hunter/shooter do I have to just pick one: reliable or bright. How does the Nightforce stack up optically?

If forced to pick I know which one it would be...

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Again, nice try RD.
Let's see here. We have some brand new SS scopes being tested for SWFA. We have a few Leupolds of uncertain origin also being tested. So where is the level playing field ? You know, new scopes, same number, same testing procedures etc.
Then we have comments made by the guy who didn't do the actual testing. He's reporting what others have said, according to him.
Anybody know this guy ? First I've heard of him.
But I have followed the testing done by guys like Barsness. He uses new scopes and puts them through the same tests on the same rifles. Unlike anybody who tests Chris Farris's scopes.
That brings us to Chris, the scope salesman. I have no faith in anything he claims is better. Why ? Because when the Zeiss Conquest were new he claimed over and over how they were much better than Leupolds. But he never mentioned that Zeiss had alot of returns on them for the first few years. In short, he has a history of advocating something new to be alot better than the old standards like Leupold. When in fact, when tested on a level playing field, they had little to offer and some problems or drawbacks of their own.
BTW, just because a hunting scope or a well used tactical scope doesn't track perfectly every time doesn't mean it is broken. It has to refuse to track to be broken. Not a once in a while imperfect adjustment. All scopes break down in time if used enough. Adjustments loose some of their perfect tracking ability, and they will all break down from recoil or being bounced around in the field. Nobody makes a scope that will last forever under hard use. E

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot them daily and more than a bunch. Hint.

Optical Rules apply to all Makers. There is no such thing as a "bright" 20x wearing a 42mm objective,nor is there a "dim" 6x wearing same. Of course glass/coatings can run the gamut,but a Snoopy 6X will smoke a High Zoot 20X in light gathering. Hint.

Joe Average is over headstamped,over scoped and under bulleted. Hint.

A guy makes his own "luck" and you can very much have your cake and eat it too...if only obviously. The 6x42 will do it all and then some and it's sole concession is a non-illuminated reticle. I'll always happily walk away from Fluff and let others "enjoy" the JipJap schit. Rugged/reliability will never not bear fruit and is the ONLY way to reliably connect dots. Hint.

Nightfarce hype is lost upon me and their fascination with JipJappery bullschit,is mind numbing.

A guy can reliably learn a LOT,by simply shooting.

Hint.................

E,

You are in soooooooooo far over your head,that you are typing from another Galaxy.

John B is absolutely CLUELESS In regards to Hard Use glass and round count,as compared to Frank and that by light years. That is my being utterly charitable and as a BEST case scenario. Hint.

You should start another Account,just so you can take notes and apply same,less the temptation of tickling a keyboard under the grandiose Delusion,that you've a first clue...because you certainly do not.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ohremicus,

Sorry, but apparently I have to post something like this now and then, because you're still wandering around in the mists of the 1990's, and continue to put words in my mouth.

I've tested the SWFA scopes thoroughly, and am a fan--and not because Chris Farris sent me any. Instead I bought them. The ONLY Leupold I've found to track as well after a lot of shooting is the 10x40 Mark 4 I've had for several years and shot a bunch on several rifles. But for a reasonably-priced, tough, accurate-tracking scope the SWFA's are leading the pack.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ohremicus,

Sorry, but apparently I have to post something like this now and then, because you're still wandering around in the mists of the 1990's, and continue to put words in my mouth.

I've tested the SWFA scopes thoroughly, and am a fan--and not because Chris Farris sent me any. Instead I bought them. The ONLY Leupold I've found to track as well after a lot of shooting is the 10x40 Mark 4 I've had for several years and shot a bunch on several rifles. But for a reasonably-priced, tough, accurate-tracking scope the SWFA's are leading the pack.

So you bought a scope and tried it for yourself? Fascinating concept, it would be interesting if it caught on.....

David

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Amazing, huh?

One of the reasons I hang around the Campfire, aside from all the fascinating and civilized posts, is the Classifieds, which is where I buy a lot of scopes which started to bore their previous owners. That way I can test the hell out of them without some company's consignment deadline interfering. In fact, I often do the same thing with rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy chit.. How long did E claim that leupold put real diamonds on their lenses, and that Zeiss was selling used up scopes because each one was impact tested thousands of times before it left the factory.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, in the early 1990's Zeiss was impact-testing all their scopes 1000 times. But they ceased the practice sometime in the 90's.

As noted already, he's often stuck in time-warps and delusions.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm sorry if I offended you Mule Deer. I was simply attempting to compare your testing methods to those who have tested for SWFA. I was not aware of your testing of the SWFA scopes. Odviously, I need to renew my subscription to Rifle Looney News and see what you found with them. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or you could buy one yourself and give it a go.

Me

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why should I ? I trust Mule Deer to do fair and unbiased testing. I'd rather pay him and people like him for their experiences so I can make good choices in my equipment. E

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In my experience variable Leupolds basically suck. Though I have good luck with the Mark 6 3-18.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 09/07/14.
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.