Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi, I'm looking for an economical video camera to take hunting with zoom. I don't know anything about them. I would like to video the hunt. I don't need all the "bells and whistles". Just zoom and audio. We currently have a Kodak camera that does video as well. But I think I would like more zoom. This has only 10 x zoom. What do you suggest?

Heaven ...... Don't miss it for the world !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Sony HD camcorders at work but looking around on Amazon, you can get a Samsung 720P HD recorder with 52x optical zoom refurbished for $90 and free shipping.

Generally the reviews for Samsung are very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-F90-C...708867&sr=1-3&keywords=camcorder

Generally the reviews for Samsung are very good.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of info needed to give realistic recommendations.
Are you going to video while someone else hunts?
Are you wanting to video yourself?
How many hours and minutes of raw video do you want to capture at one setup?
Do you already have support equipment? Tripods, lights, wireless mics, etc?
Do you want to shoot HD?
What environment conditions will you be shooting in? Rain, snow, extreme cold?
Do you want 2 or more views of the shot at the same time?
What will you use to edit and create your finished video?

Lots of folks get a couple of GoPros for different angles of the same shot - frontal, over the shoulder, etc. For your mid to high zoom camera you really need great tripods with fluid heads or similar. Hand holding a small 20X+ zoom camera is probably not going to give the results you want. I used to manage an advertising sales and production group. The rule of thumb back then was, 20 to 25 minutes of raw footage would yield 1 minute of finished video. So you need lots of battery power and lots of storage. If you're going to shoot HD the storage requirements go way up.
Cold weather has an impact on battery life that you have to factor in. Rain and snow also. Wind is a killer for audio. You need to factor that in your choice for mics. An on camera mic is not a good choice as every time you turn your head the audio fades.
Last consideration is what hardware and software you will edit on.
I'm not a videographer by any means. I just tried to manage a bunch of 'em for a few years. I'd look hard at good used equipment. With that "bleeding edge" of technology ever present, there are usually good nearly new cameras available.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Crap! I did not read you post very well. Disregard my post. I thought you were talking lower priced commercial quality video. Sorry.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
No problem. Thanks for the info.

Heaven ...... Don't miss it for the world !
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,196
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.