Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'From the Congo Basin to the Highlands of Ethiopia' by Steven Christenson...its a hell of a good read about hunting out of the way Africa....cant beat part of its description on Safari Press:

You�ll want to find out why legendary Ethiopian professional hunter Thomas Mattanovich called their hunt the most memorable of his illustrious career. Why would the redoubtable Bob Speegle call his safari with Christenson the closest thing he�d ever done to committing suicide? How was that Beth Jones came to be initiated into the secret Sande sorority of Grebo Forest women? Why would Fred Fortier declare, �A rat that size could make for some good stick meat.�

only problem with it is that its one that Safari Press has only released as a limited edition so its a $100 book but if your interested in out of the way Africa where your not hunting in a 4 star tented or such camp its well worth the read and worth the $100....i hope to get his other book which is about more normal hunting in south and east Africa as his writing style is very entertaining...unfortunately it too is only available as a limited edition and since im not working much it may be awhile til i get it bought so i can read it

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 09/03/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
rattler, Thanks for the note, I will look for this book at the SCI show....it could be sold out by then, but I will take my chances.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Safari Presses obsession with collectors editions without trade editions annoys the hell out of me cause so often unless you buy them your SOL once they are sold out on reading them....your hard pressed to find someone to lend them to you both cause their value goes up quick on the secondary market after selling out and its difficult to find someone to let you borrow a copy....all i want to do is read John Brandt's 'Horned Giants' which was released in the 90's but have only seen a few copies for sale with an asking price of $300 or so and have yet to find anyone that ownes a copy to lend me for a week so i can read it quick....

one bright side in me being a book nut is i now have enough uncommon titles that occasionally i find someone with something i want to read and ive got something they want and we do a loan to each other....bout a dozen guys here on the fire ive done swaps with...

Last edited by rattler; 09/05/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.