Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JOG

If you don't think the .357 Mag has been almost completely replaced for serious self-defense and hunting use you're in dreamland.

I guess I live in dreamland, because the 357 is used for serious self defense and hunting by plenty of the folks I know.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
This is just a personal opinion, but I think if most people put up with the noise and racket of the .357, they'd also put up with the attendant recoil of something larger....now a down loaded, low flash .357 (38 Special?)still has merit.
I think most use their .357's in this manner as opposed to a 125gr. hollow point atop a pile of H110/296, which pretty much is like nails on a chalkboard, on your eardrums.

The 45 Auto is far from obsolete.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by scouttracker
The 45 ACP and 357 don't seem to be talked about much anymore. Have they been declining or just about these days.
As for the .357 Magnum, it was first touted as the ultimate handgun hunting round, but was dethroned in that by the .44 Magnum. That still left it as king of the police handgun calibers, but when they went to autos it lost its position there too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, its still the king in FBI testing protocol and law enforcement track records. That's the reason for the 357sig.

357 makes for a stellar trail gun, which doubles for a good 38 as well.

J-frame 60s were changed to 357 in '96, I believe. There are tons upon tons of those about from the last 18 years of manufacture. One of those loaded up with the current Speer LE 38 135GD short barrel loads make for an outstanding conceal carry handgun for self-defense against two-legged road apples.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They have both been largely surpassed performance-wise by the 327 MAG and the 45 GAP cartridges -

But unfortunately many of the experts here are slow to embrace the future. smile

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah I've heard all the same crap before about the 30-06 and 7x57. Obsolete, surpassed, yada yada yada. Still just as effective as they ever were, and more so, with modern powders, bullets, etc.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GaryVA
No, its still the king in FBI testing protocol and law enforcement track records. That's the reason for the 357sig.

J-frame 60s were changed to 357 in '96, I believe. There are tons upon tons of those about from the last 18 years of manufacture. One of those loaded up with the current Speer LE 38 135GD short barrel loads make for an outstanding conceal carry handgun for self-defense against two-legged road apples.

Really!? Close to a million LEOs across the USA must be dying to trade in their hi-caps for revolvers.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by P_Weed
They have both been largely surpassed performance-wise by the 327 MAG and the 45 GAP cartridges - -

But unfortunately many of the experts here are slow to embrace the future.

No, both the 357mag and the 357sig outperform the 45GAP in five of the six categories of FBI protocol testing, plus they outperform the 45GAP in the IWBA heavy clothing test. The only category the 45GAP can hang is the FBI protocol steel testing. In that category they are near a dead heat.

The 327mag was developed by Federal and I do not believe it passed the protocol testing for them to offer a Law Enforcement round in that chambering.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't think it was just the "experts" who weren't impressed with what the 327 and 45 GAP had to offer over existing rounds, judging by their meager showings in current manufacturer catalogs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG

Really!? Close to a million LEOs across the USA must be dying to trade in their hi-caps for revolvers.

Been in the business for close to three decades, and yes, quite a number, both new and old, carry a small revolver as their secondary concealed handgun.

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been in the business for close to three decades, and yes, quite a number, both new and old, carry a small revolver as their secondary concealed handgun.

What happened to the .357 Mag as the primary weapon?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JOG
The .45 ACP has never been more alive and well in the civilian market, but the .357 Mag is on the way out. Defensive revolvers themselves are on the way out, and the .357 Mag has been no closer than 4th place amongst handgun hunters for decades.
My thoughts as well.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Defensive revolvers themselves are on the way out ..
While this may be true, it's not for good reason, IMO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think most of us forget that calibers that may be obsolete for military and police work, works just fine for civilian use.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have never been a fan of the .357. But it will always be popular.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Esox357
45ACP and 357 magnum tend to be standards other calibers are compared too! Both great cartridges that will be around for a long time to come.

Top two performing SD rounds will never die.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I'm not a huge fan of the .357 either.

But I think it makes a great all around round for the guy who doesn't own or want a lot of handguns, especially if he doesn't reload. Makes for a good SD, practice (with 38s), and field gun, all housed in one packable package that won't kick him out from underneath his hat. I always thought of it as the 30-06 of handgun cartridges.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I'm not a huge fan of the .357 either.

But I think it makes a great all around round for the guy who doesn't own or want a lot of handguns, especially if he doesn't reload. Makes for a good SD, practice (with 38s), and field gun, all housed in one packable package that won't kick him out from underneath his hat. I always thought of it as the 30-06 of handgun cartridges.

Yes. Very versatile.

Matter of fact, my son has pretty much skipped the 22LR part of handgunning. 38 Specials are what he loves and is learning on.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cool! Heck it's just as cheap to cast and reload 38s as it is to pay the going rate for 22 ammo.

I'm sorta having a return to the 38. Been shooting it a bunch lately. Don't know why I gravitated away from it, but a recently acquired LCR and a police trade-in S&W 15 have really got me loving it again.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Cool! Heck it's just as cheap to cast and reload 38s as it is to pay the going rate for 22 ammo.

I'm sorta having a return to the 38. Been shooting it a bunch lately. Don't know why I gravitated away from it, but a recently acquired LCR and a police trade-in S&W 15 have really got me loving it again.

Shiiiiit. Doesn't get much better than that.

Mini-'flave has been shooting this Model 14. It simply bug holes EVERYTHING we feed it. I picked it up for $375 (?), replaced the hammer and trigger because some dickhead over worked them, I stoned what needed stoning and put 15lb springs in for the return and main. I have a 19 to go with.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.